Sacred Heart University Nursing Program

<p>Hello! My D was accepted to the nursing program at SHU. Does anyone know if it has a reputable program? Her other option is Loyola Maryland/Johns Hopkins, but it's not direct entry like SHU. Any advice?</p>

<p>My D applied there but decided not to attend. Her cousin had graduated a year or two before (2009?), passed the NCLEX the first time and found a job at a Long Island hospital. The cousin loved her time there and praised the nursing program but I don’t know anything else about it. Have you visited the school? It seems a bit suburban in feel, with the nursing school building looking like an office building in an office park. </p>

<p>I assume the Loyola option would have your D transferring to JHU for her junior year? It’s probably a great program but who knows how difficult that JHU acceptance is to get especially since there are other schools that have the same Hopkins connection. Still, Hopkins has a huge class, 250 or so, so maybe the acceptance rate is not as risky as it first looks.</p>

<p>@greenwitch Thanks for your response. Yes, the Loyola option would have her transferring to JHU junior year and it DOES look like there are quite a few hoops to jump through to get there. </p>

<p>If you don’t mind my asking, why did your D decide not to attend SHU? We are hoping to visit next week (cutting it close, I know, to deposit deadline). My D really has her heart set on nursing so, this direct entry option seems like a good thing. I just hope she feels comfortable with what she sees on our visit.</p>

<p>It’s a funny situation… Sacred Heart wanted D to come for an interview. She did, and the admissions person accepted her right on the spot. Then, we never heard from them again! No letters, phone calls, e-mails, anything. We figured someone must have dropped the ball in the admission office (her interview was late in March so it was crazy time and things like that can happen). </p>

<p>We liked the woman she interviewed with, and didn’t want to get anyone in trouble so D decided not to say anything. She had already decided against Sacred Heart simply because she wanted a more rural setting a bit closer to home and she figured that Sacred Heart would be more money too.</p>