Safety/Match/Reach?

Have you considered schools like WVU (Mindfit), App State (AS-U-R) and Marshall (H.E.L.P). They have solid CS programs and ADHD programs that may offer the additional support you’re looking for.

3 Likes

Oh, buh-leeeve me. I have an impressive spreadsheet about all of the schools with these programs. Where I’m at now is trying to integrate the support program spreadsheet with the computer science spreadsheet. Where this thread comes in is how much weight to give his intelligence and high grades in subjects that are not math against his sub-par math grades, executive functions and social skills, as they relate to his ability to succeed in college. In fact, I’m pretty sure that if he’d harness his executive functioning, that he’d have the ability to be a more than capable math student. Nevertheless, I am working with what I’ve/he’s got and am just hoping that some switch is going to get “flipped” in the next year or so, where he is going to get on board with doing his best, not just what comes easiest to him (I have read many threads on the topic and this does seem to happen with some frequency, especially once these kids have more classes in topics they care about and are in an environment that more clearly points to their course-outcomes being relevant to the world of employment) . There is also the COVID factor, as virtual learning and too much free time on his hands is not doing a whole lot to strengthen his EFs.

The schools you mention are on his list, but the average GPAs and SAT scores for accepted students are quite below his. I realize this might help with merit aid, but there was a comment in this thread that I shouldn’t even be able to count on his doing better in these schools than in higher tier ones, as the latter have such grade inflation. So, if it’s a wash in that area, maybe better to go with the name recognition and job-placement profile (regarding which I still have quite a bit of research to do). Tier-up colleges that also have solid services include RIT, University of Delaware, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston University, U Tenn Knoxville. Then there are a handful that are beyond reaches for my son (e.g.Nova Southeastern and University of Florida). In short, I’m not sure if he would need to tier-down in order to get the support he needs and I’m not sure the work is even any easier at the tier-down schools (although correct me if I’m wrong).

So, in short, assuming I primarily look at schools with good support programs for learning disabilities, I’m trying to decide whether to prioritize the quality of the ASD/ADD program against the quality of the comp sci program. Within the latter, I’m trying to decide if it is better to aim for a school consistent with his overall GPA and SAT scores or ones that are more of a match with his math grades and SAT scores. Most likely, he will apply to the former as “matches” and the latter as “safeties,” see where he gets in and then go from there. It just that if there were something that was right-on for him, but in the higher-tier category, he could apply early. I don’t think we will even apply for “reach schools,” because I’m worried might be tempting fate where it comes to math and EFs.

I realize there weren’t a whole lot of questions in there, but I would love any opinions on my statements, nonetheless.

Base your list entirely on the math grades, these are a key component in admissions for computer science majors. If he was going for less competitive and math focused majors, you could have more room to look at more competitive schools/programs. Also, Boston U is going to be a far reach as it is already highly competitive with an admit rate sub-20.

3 Likes

You are not telling me what I want to hear, at all :frowning:

@OliveLewis Here is another option to consider. How about going to college with some other degree program in mind, and then consider one of those programming “boot camps” after college to get skills and certification? I know some have a bad reputation, but I also know someone who went through one and got placed in a good job afterwards. Programming can be a lot of fun, while a CS degree that requires a lot of math may be very discouraging and lead to a change of major etc, especially if there are weed-out courses and your son ends up on the wrong side of the weeding-out. And then, even if the bootcamp turns out to be too math-based, your son will still have a college degree behind him. And if he waits until after graduation, he will have several more years of maturity as well.
Just a thought.

1 Like

Thank you for posting these thoughts. I can relate- my junior is looking at CS and Eng programs. He has perfect math grades and a perfect ACT score. The problem is the debilitating Adhd, spectrum-like qualities, and EF issues. I personally keep him on track, which needs to change when he goes to college!

His list of 22 colleges ranges from U Denver to Rice and many in between. It includes tech schools and LACs. When I’m looking at a college’s website, I look for specifics on tutoring. Some colleges offer both academic and EF tutors, others offer classes in study skills, and others have less info on tutoring I think it comes down to the practical of how students get help: who are the tutors? How easy is it to book sessions- online or repeating every week? Is the tutoring center in the dorm itself? The practical info gives me a sense of whether he will be supported in a rigorous academic environment. I know he’s capable, but he definitely needs a safety net.

There’s a fantastic Facebook group called “College Accessibility and Accommodations Information for Parents,” which is facilitated by a college accessibility director and parents share a ton of info. It’s easy to search for a college name if you’re digging for info.

2 Likes

Look at the degree programs I listed, see with him if they’d be interesting to him. If you already looked, what appeals to him?

Math rigor and math grades are going to be primary factors at colleges that select by major. Physics rigor and grades to a lesser extent and ONLY if the CS major is in the College of Engineering. In all cases at large universities, 1st year college math is weedout for engineering and CS majors. So, you really need to pick colleges that offer computing majors rather than math-based CS or majors with less math (ie., NOT colleges where a 4 or 5 in AP Calc is expected even if it’snot required), as I listed.
Overall, for a student who struggles with math, IST/informatics will be less math-intensive and still about computers, computing, science, technology, innovation, etc.

You may want to contact Ubumble about Roanoke (his/her son has a very different profile from yours but likes the idea of being challenged and having support to meet the challenge.)

1 Like

I am going to keep this idea in my back pocket. It gives me some sanity!

Thanks for the website recommendation. That should be very helpful IF my son is willing to utilize the extra help!. There seem to be some programs that force themselves on the students a bit more than others (specifically ones that you have to apply to once already accepted to the school and ones that you pay extra for [thousands of dollars, in many cases]). I don’t know what is going to make or break whether he is willing to not just seek out help, but accept that being offered to him. If I don’t see a change in his resistance and acknowledgement of how much his deficits in the EF areas are going to impact him in college, I think community college will be the next step, where either he or I will be proven right. If he bombs, hopefully that will be an eye opener. So, although I am doing a ton of research now, all of this will be rendered moot, unless I see him become a more serious student. He does as well as he does (which, in the scheme of things, is pretty well) without much effort, but he claims that when the environment demands more of him, he will step up his game. I’ve pointed out that he should already be stepping up his game in math, but it falls on deaf ears. The idea that he would go to University of Denver (attainable for him, I think) and have your son, with perfect math grades and ACT scores, in his class is terrifying. I’m starting to think shoot low is a better idea.

I am a little at a loss why if he is not a strong math student he wants to pursue CS? It is one of the most math heavy majors out there and the college level math courses starting with 2 semesters of calculus and then including at least 2 more semesters of upper level math which is challenging for even the best math students seem like a poor fit. Throwing in executive function issues along with ADD and it may not end well and he may be frustrated and miserable.

Disregard his weighted GPA. That does not matter. What is his unweighted GPA? That should be your target in evaluating schools. Anything where he is 75 percent or higher in GPA and 75 percent or higher in SAT is a match. The mid ranges are skewed downward by institutional admits and athletes so we were told to be fairly confident of an admit we needed to be above 75.

3 Likes

Frankly community college sounds like an excellent idea or a less competitive 4 year college where he can knock out some of the math and science requirements assuming they will transfer. Community colleges don’t often offer the upper level math courses required for CS and engineering degrees.

2 Likes

I’d like to underline the fact that your son says he will rise to the demands of the environment. Self-perception is often the root of lack of effort. My son bumped up a level in math and science freshman year and then worked his butt off because he knew he was in the top class. He rose to the challenge. On the other hand, he isn’t a strong writer and I kept him in regular English. He will barely lift a finger to do the tasks that he sees as easy or worthless. Because of his lack of effort, it’s his weakest grade. He could do so much more, but his perception of the class is, “why bother?” There’s something to be said for allowing a kid the opportunity to rise to a challenge. Say, it’s going to be hard, but you can do this and I will support you.

Honestly, if your son and mine end up at U Denver in math class together, it could be a really cool dynamic. Instead of a scary competitive Carnegie Mellon type climate, they could both rise to their potential in a supportive environment. I bet they could learn a lot from each other.

1 Like

@OliveLewis Does your son really like programming/CS or are you guys thinking of it as a major mostly because he did well in his high school CS classes? If the former, that’s great, If the latter, it may not sustain itself once the rigors of college-level math and other CS courses takes hold. Maybe another alternative is to look into a college where you don’t have to declare a major upon entry (I believe that most LAC colleges have you wait until end of sophomore year to declare a major) and that way he can take some intro CS classes his freshman and sophomore years and use that to determine if CS at the college level is really what he wants – and if he is willing to work for it.
Also, for right now, maybe look at some interesting, non-credit bearing online (or in-person if that’s available!) programming (or other CS) courses for this summer so he can continue to evaluate if this is a field of interest. I have personal experience with some online beginning and advanced Python programming classes that I thought were top-notch. You can PM me for the recommendation, if you like, since I think I am not allowed to post the info here. If your son does well in them and maintains interest, that’s great. If not, that’s important information to learn before committing to a college major that seems to be potentially problematic based on the math focus.

2 Likes

The OP mentioned UDelaware. The BA in CS there only has 2 Semesters of Math. Calc 1 and a Discreet Math class. If I remember correctly, he may have some Calc in HS. That Math requirement may work.

Program: Computer Science (BA) - University of Delaware - Acalog ACMS™

3 Likes

He is genuinely interested. It is the only thing he is interested in academically, at all, in fact. Whether that will translate into wanting to do it at the college level, I don’t know but, if not, it won’t be because he doesn’t want to do CS at the college level but that the rigor of college-level anything is too rigorous for his taste. If he will apply himself to anything rigorous, he will likely have to have a sincere interest in it to be willing to apply himself. That is just how he rolls. Something is going to have to grab his interest within the field and I’m confident something will. It just won’t be anything that requires as much math, while in school, and little to none once out. I’ve seen in a few posts here that IT might be a better path for him. I really can’t tell, frankly. I’m almost wondering if there is some summer something that might help him discern the difference. I’m also wary of something that keeps him sitting at his desk at home all summer. In his case, the environment just has not been conducive to productivity. Maybe if something opens up. Are you familiar with programs that aren’t so focused on Python? He did one over the summer a couple of years back. It was so-so.

This program is up there on our list already!

I guess the difference here is that your son has chosen to rise to his potential while in high school. Mine took algebra 1 honors in 8th grade and got a B or B+ (can’t remember). He really didn’t want to take honors geometry and, subsequently, algebra 2 honors. Our deal was that he would move to CP and get A’s, but that didn’t happen. I don’t think his metric is to do what it takes to do well in a top class, but to do what it takes to be an A-/B+ student in whatever he takes. This has translated into an overall GPA of just about that, but only because he gets solid As and A-’ in classes that come easily. Unfortunately, math just isn’t one of them and even the B+ doesn’t seem to be happening this year, despite it being his most important year for math yet. So, I said that he has a shot at Denver but, actually, I’m even doubting that, as you have to take Comp sci within an Engineering school and it is sounding like maybe we need to veer away from that

IT typically is less technical and more business. If he likes mostly the technical aspects of CS, then IT may be worse for him. Would he rather do CS (more technical, with some more advanced math courses) or IT (less technical, but with more business courses and math up to single variable calculus)?

This introduces SUCH elaborate planning and research, if taken into consideration for each prospective school. I honestly think I can’t do it and, even if I could, wouldn’t know how to weigh it against all of the other factors being considered. Is there a less intricate way of or general rule for trying to assess accessibility to CS courses at a school without finding their respective table like the example you posted and trying to interpret it and apply it to one’s own situation?

Not really.

There are some general assumptions floating around (such as the common one that class registration is by class standing by credits), but it is unlikely that they can be relied on for a given school.

The assumptions that are more likely to be true:

• Declared majors may get priority over undeclared students and those in other majors.
  • An entry-level course open to undeclared students may have the greatest competitive enrollment pressure, since succeeding course enrollment is gated by the number of students completing the prerequisite course(s) and therefore can be more easily planned for by the department.

You could look at on-line class schedules and see if the CS classes are completely full, if enrollment and capacity are shown.