Santa Clara University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Thanks - this is super helpful!

1 Like

Late post, sorry, just adding to the updates so people have more data points: D deferred EA. High school is a competitive Midwest Catholic school that sends about 50 apps to Santa Clara annually and usually has 5-10 kids matriculate. Grading is 1-100 so hard to translate but she’s around a 4.0 unweighted and 4.3 or 4.4 weighted; close to the max AP’s allowed and otherwise all Honors, 4’s and 5’s on AP exams; submitted a 34 ACT. Not an academic superstar, but probably around top 6-7% of her class academically. Excellent list of EC’s with deep involvement and leadership.

We suspect her deferral may be yield protection. I recognize that sounds arrogant, but there are several hundred points on her high school’s Naviance scatterplot, without any rejections during the period of the data set for anyone close to her numbers. The landscape of admissions has changed, but not that much that fast. She hasn’t visited or otherwise demonstrated any particular interest in Santa Clara, and they likely assume that she, like everyone else with similar #'s from her school, is also applying to some combination of Georgetown, Notre Dame, Villanova and BC (a correct assumption, as it turns out), and likely ED at one of them (incorrect, but a good bet nonetheless). They’ve seen enough of her profile to know there’s a good chance it’s a safety app, so why not make her demonstrate otherwise before March? She’s already gotten into a couple of places higher on her list and is pulling her Santa Clara app, so if they figured there was a good chance she wouldn’t be around by regular decision time and wanted to see some indication from her that she might go there before offering her a slot, they played it right.

To all here who’ve gotten in or had kids accepted to Santa Clara, congratulations! Terrific place with a great community and I’m sure you/they will love it. And to anyone else, keep you chin up - it’s all gonna work out.

3 Likes

Does anyone know when early decision two decisions come out ?

1 Like

My D was not going to submit the info to stay in the RD pool (deferred) but changed her mind since they extended the deadline.

Deferred S23
Bay Area public high school
4.0/4.6+ GPA
1540 SAT
Comp Sci major.
Frustrating, to say the least.

3 Likes

Very surprising–those are amazing stats. Did you see the press release they put out about ED/EA choices? It’s illuminating. December 2022 - News & Events - Santa Clara University

1 Like

Would it be easy to switch majors within L and S (not CS related) or even L and S to a less competitive engineering major? Back in November D had a major in mind that now seems better as a minor.

Contact the school and ask. My kid switched from undeclared to engineering
and then picked up a second major in biology with no difficulty
but that was between 2006-2010

1 Like

Does anyone know when the deferred / rd decision will come out ?

Thanks

Based on last year’s release date, this year will be Thursday March 16 in the afternoon pacific time. (If it’s the same this year!)

Thanks.

Yippee. I got in Electrical and Computer Engg.

1 Like

Waitlisted. 3.8 1470 humanities.

A bit surprised / disappointed but oh well.

Thanks for posting. S23 is Johnson finalist. Same situation as your daughter. Offered only about $14k. What was the virtual interview day like? How many kids was she competing against? Trying to determine if chances are worthwhile enough to take a full day off school for zoom event.

My child is a finalist for the Johnson Scholarship. Can you tell me (1) Was she already awarded the $14K before she went into the Johnson Scholar program (2) Did she tell you how many finalists there were? My D23 was only offered around $4K a year at acceptance. She was under the impression she would be considered for another scholarship if she didn’t win the top one. Seems odd to put people into the full ride pool only to award them less money than the students who weren’t semifinalists.

Any review about college of Arts and Sciences
my daughter got into physics engineering