Santa Clara University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Did anyone here get accepted by ED (Early Decision) application and also get a reasonable amount of merit scholarship/ need-based grants? Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

No, we didnā€™t get anything :frowning: We thought we would get some like 10K or so but nothing is indicated. Hopefully FAFSA will give us something.

1 Like

FASFA does not give you money. It only determines if you qualify for Federal student need based aid plus it allows any student to take out Federal student loans if needed or wanted.

2 Likes

Noļ¼Œdid not get anything. S23 get accepted by ED.
The offer letter says " Please note that financial aid notifications, including merit- and need-based awards, will be available for viewing electronically in your SCU application portal soon. Notifications will be sent to the email address that you provided in your application."

But no notification received. Shall I contact admission directly?

Do you get a merit scholarship or need-based grants for being accepted by ED? Just wonder if SCU give a merit or grants for accepted ED applicants. Thanks!

No, it does not appear that D23 (who applied ED) received any merit aid.

My sonā€™s letter said the same. Itā€™s been almost a week but nothing is addedā€¦

My S received both the Bronco and Need based aid which will put SCU at about $30k/year which is certainly in the affordable zone.

5 Likes

We didnā€™t get anything either, which makes it unaffordable. Is this school worth the loans though? I really donā€™t know much about it since it was hubby and D23 who toured it.

That is an excellent deal for SCU! Congratulations!

1 Like

My son was accepted to Engineering. It was off his radar and only on his list because I added it to Common App and insisted. Rejected from dream ED and now trying to figure out what to do. Suddenly after dooing research SC seems like it could be his perfect fit school and he is leaning toward SC over Wash U and Wake. 3.68 UW from top boarding school (this GPA gets honors each year - for context), and 34 ACT. No APs. We are excited!

6 Likes

It will be absolutely amazing for internships. The campus is literally surrounded by tech companies.

1 Like

I love everything about SCU- but does it suffer much from being a distant second to Stanford as the best school in the area? Any inferiority complex amongst students?

We live in the Bay Area. Santa Clara is a different breed of school than Stanford. Donā€™t forget that Cal Berkeley is also in the area and all 3 schools are dynamically different (student population, environment, community, etc). No school in the Bay Area suffers from being viewed as lesser to another. Each has something to offer that the other does not and all 3 attract a large majority of students that do not even apply to the others.

6 Likes

Posted as humor. I didnā€™t attend either school.

ā€œwww.stanfordrejects.comā€

1 Like

Thank you!

Congrats to all who have been offered admission to SCU. My daughter is a current freshman and thriving. She was a high stats homeschooled student with lots of leadership, community involvement, etc. I wanted to jump on here to comment on a few things, and offer my assistance as we were unable to find a lot of information during our decision-making process last year. My daughter was a finalist for the Johnson Scholarship, which is their full ride, but she was only offered a relatively small Deanā€™s Scholarship ($14k). We felt like that just didnā€™t make sense as there were several scholarship levels between the two. It was a very tough, stressful situation because the Johnson decisions werenā€™t made until like April 20th, later than expected, and we submitted a merit appeal and literally did not hear back until the last day of April. My daughter had much better offers at other schools and our financial situation is very volatile but we still felt like SCU was the right school for her and her future. I donā€™t regret the decision. She loves school and already has as many opportunities as she could possibly want. One very pleasant surprise was that she was awarded credit for all of her APs and dual enrollment classes, so she went in with the max number of credits they would allow (58 or 59). She is considered a sophomore and should be able to graduate a year early, which is obviously a huge savings. Sheā€™s in the honors program which is a huge advantage for course registration. Her favorite classes are the honors sections - they are smaller and more discussion-driven. Really the only issues sheā€™s had are with the meal plan, and itā€™s certainly something that needs to be considered financially. Everything is a la carte and expensive. Freshman cannot have cars and there arenā€™t many walkable options for dining off campus. If you can get an apartment your second year you can reduce to an apartment meal plan. So, next year the plan is for her to have a car and hopefully an apartment, which should be less expensive overall. Hope this is helpful!

4 Likes

If you donā€™t mind sharing, what was her ultimate merit package? Did you just go with the Deanā€™s or did they respond to your appeal with more $?

Also, weā€™ve heard there is a clear social differentiation between kids who are full pay and those who are not, does your daughter find that to be the case? Or maybe sheā€™s more isolated from that dynamic being in the honors program? Finally, out of curiosity, what is her major?

Our DD graduated from SCU in 2010. She was not amongst the wealthy studentsā€¦just average, I would guess. She says no one really talked about family wealth or anything. She had a job that earned her money for discretionary spending. She never complained.

And I will sayā€¦we really are happy with her education and experience thereā€¦and yes, I realize itā€™s old news. But stillā€¦

3 Likes

Our merit appeal was denied, so the final package was $14,000 annually.

She is currently currently undecided on major. Sheā€™s in the Leavey School of Business but is considering a move to Arts & Sciences. She originally went in thinking something like Marketing or Management with a double major or minor in Comm. Sheā€™s scheduled to meet with an advisor about building her own major and likely minoring in entrepreneurship. She applied to the business school because itā€™s the hardest one to get into. Now sheā€™s reluctant to leave because everyone wants in! But I truly feel that her heart is more in the humanities.

As for the social dynamics of financial status on campus, she hasnā€™t said a word. I know that her friends definitely span all walks of life. Thereā€™s also a lot of talk about Greek life being a strong force on campus, but it really doesnā€™t seem to be. Sheā€™s not at all interested in it but doesnā€™t feel like sheā€™s missing anything by not participating. But sheā€™s not a partier at all. Her idea of fun is a good ole student government meeting so she probably isnā€™t aware if social life is hard for a more social non-Greek student.

4 Likes