Say it here cause you can't say it directly- the get it off your chest thread (NO REPLIES TO OTHER POSTS)

Mr. Builder, I was annoyed that you contacted me (under the circumstances) to ask about things that seem like common sense or have already been detailed. I’m still a bit annoyed, but mostly I’m glad I was able to speak with you before you did anything. Your proposed solution would have been horrible. I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing when I heard you having a light bulb moment after I explained my solution which was cheaper, quicker and more efficient all around. Good grief.

As the new homeowner, it’s scary to have to explain the IRC to an experienced builder. I’ll give you credit for listening and being willing to learn. Too many builders I’ve dealt with have pulled the “listen, little lady” garbage before telling me how their daddy built decades ago.

8 Likes

I can’t believe you’re saying that you’re not coming to ds1’s wedding. Your excuse is BS seven months out, and I don’t believe you. I wish that you were honest.

There is something really wrong with a healthcare system where the insured has “good” insurance … but can’t get an appointment with a new PCP for months. S is in a new town and has some new health issues. He finally scored an appointment in one month … better than the appointments months away that other doctors offered. We need to do something to make it more attractive to be a primary care doctor, because clearly there aren’t enough of them (he is not in a rural area, either). At least he was able to get an urgent care appointment & get bloodwork so that he could make sure he doesn’t have something that is an imminent threat to his health if left untreated for now. But something is wrong, and I sure hope it’s not going to be problematic to wait another month to see a doctor.

11 Likes

I am taking my second break today from preparing for a Medicare audit. Everyone of my psychology friends in my state is a part of this audit. Our mistake is billing 60 minute sessions and seeing chronic patients. I have a number of younger people on disability. I don’t know how many of my peers are leaving insurance forums.

My poor puppy jumped on my lap as I picked up my iPad. She’s hungry for her usual attention. Ah well. 23 more days

2 Likes

It all started with a too good to be true day yesterday watching a bonfire getting rid of old wood, etc, on the farm while enjoying nice games of Rook outdoors. Gorgeous day seeing wildlife, the reflection on the pond, cool patterns in the fire, etc.

Then we decided to call med school lad to catch up and he nonchalantly told me he’s recently seen a case “just like mine” with a lady hearing her pulse, etc, and my suspicions of what it was 7 years ago was probably spot on looking at the images she had done. The only difference is her doctor believed her and had it checked into. Mine (3 of them) told me it was just stress, would go away, and “stay off the internet.” Not one was willing to even get it checked into. (Short version) One of them was even at JH, so not just local people who hadn’t seen rare things. At that time it got me so depressed it’s only by a twist of luck that I’m here today. I gave up to save my life. That worked. I’m here, it hasn’t killed me, and life has been (mostly) good. I’ve learned to live with it.

Now he’s thrilled and telling me to go 6 hours away where he knows a doctor who will believe me, esp since my type of brain tumor appears correlated with this rare condition (he says he thinks that news is recent, so not necessarily applicable 7 years ago). Don’t worry, he says. They cut part of the skull, fix it, cement it all back together again, and watch it, plus look for others. Routine he calls it. Routine??? “The episode you had a month or so ago was probably a stroke,” he says. “That happens with these if they bleed.”

So much for a simple catch up call. I told him it’s in my past. I’ve learned to live with it, and cutting into my skull now 6 hours away isn’t exactly on my wish list.

But it’s like a brain worm - a song playing over and over again - meaningless to everyone else around me but impossible to get rid of. No one cares. No one wants to talk about it. It’s life “as normal” just with new information.

Add to it I was on foal watch (baby pony coming) last night with a mare who sure looked like it was the night, but apparently just cold and dark isn’t enough. She put aside her plans and is probably waiting for cold, dark, and stormy. Getting up every couple of hours to check didn’t help anything get off my mind.

Then this morning H made a mistake with the ponies (horse sized ponies - 1000lbs or so) and almost landed me in the hospital or worse as he spooked one I was right behind. Scrambling to get out of her way I wrenched my back, or maybe hip. I could still finish chores, take a shower, and make breakfast, but now I’m sitting in my chair wondering if taking the load off will allow it to get better or make it worse.

I guess the plus is I have two things to think about instead of one.

It’s the second life changing bad decision in my life. The first is when a doctor incorrectly did an assessment on my lungs getting me medically dismissed from the AF and totally messing up my planned future back when I was 20(ish). I only found out about that one in the past couple of years too, but knowledge was such back then that that mistake should never have happened. OTOH, that was life changing, but not deadly as this one could be.

Do-overs in life aren’t allowed.

I want my terrific blissful day back (sigh).

ps This post is here for a reason. I want to scream it out and get a load off my chest, can’t say it directly to anyone, and don’t really want to discuss it, at least, not just yet. Why the Heck couldn’t anyone have listened to me 7 years ago and just fixed it then when everything else was happening???

37 Likes

Yes, it is actually quite key, because it is developed through our life experiences.

I’m sorry, nurse, for getting sassy on you when getting my blood-test results. Everything was amazing except for my 208 cholesterol number, and even then my HDL was great. You said the doctor would like me to get more activity and lose weight. I shot back that I have lost 50 pounds and exercise every freakin’ day so not sure what else they want me to do. See you in three months, I guess. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

14 Likes

One year ago today, you entered hospice. Cannot swallow the lump in my throat.

19 Likes

Stanford commencement for class of 2021 is ON!!!

We missed undergrad commencement last year as everything shut down for COVID, but we’ll be there for his masters commencement!!!

YES, YES, YES!!

21 Likes

Not the news you want to hear that your son in Beirut has a brain aneurysm and no medical insurance. :frowning: We may need to bring him home to Maine and get him on Medicaid. At least I have experience with that, since both my other kids are on it right now.

26 Likes

Thanks so much for the kind PMs I received! You guys are the best.

I do have good news. It dawned on me that our neighbor is one of the top neurologists in Maine. He’s kind of a standoffish guy, but being a helicopter mom, I thought I would try to contact him. To my surprise, he responded immediately and said he would be happy to read the MRI report. He emailed me and then said I could call him! Wow. I know how busy these doctors are, so I was stunned.

Long story short, he said my son’s aneurysm is very small, 2.5 mm. He said they usually do not rupture until they are greater than 5 mm. He said these small “incidental” aneurysms are fairly common. When he discovers one, he orders a follow-up MRI in six months to see if there is any change. If not, he continues to monitor it periodically for several years. He feels that my son’s headaches are migraines. My son would still like to have the aneurysm taken care of, but I reminded him that any type of surgery in his case is risky due to his bleeding disorder. It’s my feeling that if a doctor feels it’s sufficient to just monitor it, that’s what he should do.

One reassuring note: This neurologist said he could tell from reading the report that the doctor who wrote it was trained in the US, because it’s identical to what he sees here.

61 Likes

Can you be any more passive aggressive?

I’m so so happy for super moderators receiving fantastic news. That is all.

17 Likes

So maybe the moral arc of the universe does bend towards justice.

28 Likes

Amazing that people can’t follow facts or instructions. Maybe America is dumbing down.

2 Likes

Dear Ted, please keep your mouth shut unless you’re singing.

6 Likes

It really is too soon to require us to all be back in the office full time. Even though I am fully vaccinated, the caseload here is high. And we don’t know what variants may pop up that may infect us despite the vaccines. I agree that we need to be there some, but no reason for me to make that trip every day and I work just as hard at home. Hopefully, I can make the case for a mix of in-office and WFH.

8 Likes

You were my best friend growing up, but it seems we are growing apart. Did you know that in your email today, you mentioned excitement for your niece’s wedding and later, that your grandchildren are leaving the public school system because of “LGBTQ stuff”? Don’t worry. As you requested, I won’t tell my mother that your niece is marrying another woman.

8 Likes

Yeah, and how did that idea work out? I told you it was dangerous and dumb, but no, you had to do it anyway and now you are hurt. You’re lucky it’s not more serious

1 Like

Even with the internet, finding a vacation house without knowledge of the area is HARD!

4 Likes