Say it here cause you can't say it directly- the get it off your chest thread (Part 1)

Just got an email from our school that is closed:

Starting TODAY, March 16, MSAD #xx School Nutrition Program will be operating a bagged meal program for ALL children 18 & under free of charge. Meals will be packaged to take home and can be picked up at Xx School between 10:00am-12:00pm Monday - Friday. Children will receive a breakfast and a lunch. Pick up will occur at the bus loop. A table will be located outside the building and the meals will be given to you in your car.

The customs line at O’Hare Airport and others infuriates me. It’s as if they purposely designed it to infect as many people as possible in the shortest period of time.

No, holding evaluations for you travel baseball team is not social isolation - even if the kids all have their own bats and aren’t sharing. I doubt you’re sterilizing the ball each time it’s touched! I understand your kids are devastated, and that you paid good money for this program, but you’re going to be responsible for the spread of this virus!

I’ve practiced a form of social isolation for the past several months while I go through Chemo, you can handle a few weeks of isolation - it’s not like your kids can’t play games remotely with their friends, and stay in contact via social media. If you can afford travel baseball, your kid probably has his own phone, and most carriers are not providing free unlimited data.

Because you aren’t willing to isolate now, we’ll all end up in quarantine later, with the national guard enforcing it. That means my senior probably won’t have a prom or any of the other senior activites she’s been anticipating for so long, and might not have a graduation ceremony. A little perspective please - we’re all going to have to make sacrifices!

Your daughter is immunocompromised. Hosting a big family party at your house is totally irresponsible, and for you to make her feel like she’s crazy for being concerned is just not OK.

Lately my Nextdoor feed has been filled with political innuendos that don’t belong there, and a HUGE war pitting neighbor against neighbor for a large high rise housing development that is going to be built in the town next to mine. The “yes” versus “no” people were at each other’s throats for weeks before the town vote on Super Tuesday. It made Nextdoor, which I usually love, very hard to read.

Fast forward to this week, many many neighbors offering to pick up groceries and supplies for any elderly neighbors, neighbors that own small business restaurants offering free delivery on their way home.

It is nice to see after all of the negativity that when push comes to shove we can all be neighborly!!

Management finally made the call- remote for the next two weeks, and they will re-evaluate as it goes on. That’s was my plan anyway, but glad to finally have it official.

DD is baking to use up items on the brink of going bad and provide us with things we do not normally have time to make. Smells wonderful!

I would get out the popcorn

But too many WW points

Just because my kid is out of school and just turned 18 does not give you the right to schedule him full-time hours at work - Dominos Pizza. Who was scheduled those hours when he was in school??? Or maybe you’re thinking that since people are home for the Corona Virus, you’re suddenly going to get a spike in business? Folks are going to order more pizza? I know he’s 18 and technically an adult, but he’s still my kid !! Of course HE’S not going to say anything (except to me) and doesn’t want me to either. I guess I should be happy that he’s occupied with something other than playing video games? Now that I think about it, the University is closed and maybe the college kids are who worked those hours before. But still

Our town/state/country is supposedly practicing social distancing so that we can contain the spread of this virus to protect the elderly and health-compromised people. So who is the first customer in the office today? A 90-year old woman. Whose question could have been answered by phone. It’s these same older folks who are out driving on icy streets when we in Texas have a rare snow or ice event. At what age do we lose all common sense?

My boss told us today that he is not going to pay anyone for the two weeks of state-mandated shutdown. Not the managers, not the hourly employees, no one.

In fact, he’s irritated that we were making “assumptions” about the salaried staff getting paid.

Well, okay then.

It annoys me so much when people make everything about them. I mean, I could be dying and they’d say “When I was dying
”

Wondering if I am the only parent who does not have all of DC’s STATs memorized, up to date or on a word document on hand, ready to cut and paste to a post when asked. Seems as if I should refrain from responding or posting since I don’t have the information on hand that others deem “helpful”. even though I am not the OP. DC is very independent and handles most things without my monitoring.

My youngest lad got laid off yesterday. His company sent a heartfelt email admitting that they are now getting $0 income and simply can’t afford to pay anyone.

The good thing for my lad is he was part time since his “main” job is permaculture farming at our place, so his income from it wasn’t a huge part of their budget. Then too, they are spending the distancing time at our house, so we can cover food and other daily costs. He isn’t sitting around playing. He’s out getting spring plants planted and getting other areas ready for future planting. If this lasts a while, at least we should be able to eat and provide some food for others.

I feel for those who own his company and others who were laid off who needed the money more. I definitely feel fortunate that we are there for him.

For a supposedly smart group of attorneys y’all are idiots. First the non-policy policy that’s really just a lot of hot air. Then the joking about six feet of separation. It’s not funny. I AM high risk. Sure, use my sick time to stay at home when sick people wont? Then what happens when I have surgery? I see who you are and it isn’t pretty.

Your smarmy libertarian worldview isn’t going to look so pretty when you cause the mostly elderly people who work for you to become ill just because you’re “leaving it up to them” whether to come to work. You’re the boss. Do the right thing and go to online work. These are journalists. They work on computers every day!

I just want to admit that this has me worried for so many people. I worry about people getting sick and dying, I worry about finances for all of us, I worry about a potential rise in domestic and child abuse cases, I’m worried about fewer pet adoptions - I’m fine during the day, but at night the worries creep in! I just hope we can all pull together, get through this and then find the energy and resources to rally and do even more. It just is a sad time.

I keep trying to think of ways to make this better and I’ve come to the conclusion that there are little things we can all do to help each other out.

If there’s a senior, sick, or otherwise isolated person in your life, call them, email, them, text them. Every day. Teach your parents how to FaceTime. Buy them a Netflix subscription and walk them through how to use it.

If there are people you normally employ do all you can to keep paying them. If they can still do their job without coming into contact with others (accountants, lawn care, etc.) continue to employ them. If they can’t (hairdressers, trainers, etc.) send them home but continue to pay them. Better yet, send everyone home. Most likely they have kids home from school, and if they can’t watch them who will?

As much as possible support the small businesses in your town. If you can’t shop at the mom and pop store buy a gift certificate on line. If they don’t have a website call and have them hold it for you. It may “flatten the curve” on the financial woes small businesses are experiencing, and when this is all done you’ll still want them there, right?

If you’re in a vulnerable position don’t be too proud to accept help. People are looking for a way to band together and make this less pain for for us all, so if someone says they can do your shopping or give you a loan, or let you kids play in their yard, and you need it, let them. Little acts of kindness make everyone feel better, including the giver.

Take the instructions you’re getting seriously. I know if you’re home from college it’s really tempting to use this time to hang out with all your high school friends, but think about what this could mean for someone’s grandma. The more seriously we take this now the sooner we can get back to normal.

Be kind-to yourself and others. Eat well. Exercise if you can. Read a good book. Start learning a new language. Dance in your kitchen. Write a journal. Play a board game with your kids. Take the time to call an old friend. Rediscover all the good things about slowing down a bit.

Know that all of this will end at some point and think about how you’ll want to remember what you did and did not do in the midst or this crisis. Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay sane. Stay strong.

Come on, under-eye concealer, you can do better than that.

Where oh where is the dislike button!?!