SCEA for Hispanic

<p>As this is my first post, I apologize if it's in the wrong forum!
My question is about applying SCEA to HYPS as a URM, specifically a hispanic. As far as I have gathered, there is typically no statistical advantage to applying SCEA, rather than RD, without a hook. Being hispanic would my chances of admittance SCEA be higher than RD? Or would it be wiser to apply EA to some safety schools and have some acceptances under my belt early? Thank you!</p>

<p>Right forum, welcome!</p>

<p>The problem is that there is only the overall SCEA admission rate, nothing broken down for athletic recruits, URMs, etc. While the admission rate for Hispanics MAY be higher during EA than RD, you also have to take into consideration that with schools like HYPS, the level of the applicants is extremely high, so if you’re an outstanding candidate, the higher rate may help; however, it may not help a competitive, but not extraordinary, applicant. </p>

<p>My contention is that during the EA round, colleges accept candidates that they would accept in ANY applicant pool. This gives schools additional time to woo those exceptional applicants who are likely to be accepted to other highly selective colleges if they choose to apply RD. Good but not outstanding applicants can be deferred to the RD round to compare against the larger RD pool. I think that this methodology holds for Hispanics as well.</p>

<p>Both of my kids applied EA to Y. One was accepted, the other was deferred EA and accepted in the RD round. Because FA was a consideration, ED was out of the question and neither kid had other schools that they wanted to apply EA to.</p>

<p>While safety schools are one option for EA, there is also the strategy of applying to multiple reach schools, such as UChicago & MIT. If any of your safeties are rolling/public/non-binding schools, SCEA may permit you apply to them as well (check each college website for SCEA exceptions as they are not all the same).</p>

<p>Also, there’s a big difference in applying EA to HYP vs. S. That’s because HYP defer a large number of EA applicants into the RD round where you have another chance of acceptance. However, S defers a relatively small number of EA candidates, preferring to either admit or deny immediately. So for S, you can’t count on grades/awards/etc. during the first half of sr year to help you out if deferred to RD.</p>

<p>Finally, all Hispanics are not created equal. Within the Hispanic pool of applicants, adcoms will consider country of origin, SES, etc. See the Resources sticky thread at the top of this forum and read the threads in the Hispanic Applicants and College Admissions section for more discussion.</p>

<p>Thank you for the information! I guess I will probably then apply chicago, georgetown, virginia, and a few more early, and wait until RD for the HYPS. Also I am Mexican American, which I understand is helpful?</p>

<p>MA & PR students are the most underrepresented Hispanics in college.</p>