Schedule help!

<p>Why would you take Math 211 if you already got a 5 on the AP test? You won’t need anymore math for the b-school unless you are a finance or act sci major. In that case you would only need to take math 213 for finance and 221 and 222 and much more math for acti sci.</p>

<p>I am trying to help my son pick classes so that he will have an ‘A’ average. He had accounting in high school so I feel that he understands all the basic concepts. He will come in with 17 AP credits, he has most of the classes that are required to gain admission to the business school.</p>

<p>It’s not correct to say ‘you won’t need anymore math for b-school unless you are a finance or actuarial science major’:</p>

<p>Beyond Math 211, Math 221 or a 4/5 on the AP Calc AB exam, business school students need to meet the Advanced Math/Statistics Requirement of the Liberal Studies Curriculum through either taking Math 221, Math 213 or Gen Bus 304* (*or equivalent).</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/2008_Bus_Curriculum.pdf[/url]”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergrad/2008_Bus_Curriculum.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>For what it’s worth, I too got a 5 on the calc AB exam and am taking math 221 first semester even though I already have the credits for it for a grade boost and making sure that med schools actually accept it. Also taking spanish 204, philosophy 101, and chem 103 + lab. 17 Credits, you’ll be okay.</p>

<p>just…- stop micromanaging your son’s schedule. Stop trying to get classes for him he can get A’s in. He needs to start with some prerequisite courses and follow his interests. It is far better to get an education and include subjects you may have to work at and get a B than to go for the sure (never sure, however) A. Encourage your son to explore subjects outside his comfort zone- he will be much happier. College is not like HS- most students, even those who had 4.0s in HS will not have a 4.0 in college.</p>

<p>Also, AP courses are not as rigorous as the UW version. Many students who do fine on the AP calc exam will start with math 221 instead of 222- those who do 222 may struggle. Likewise the UW version of Business school courses may require more than AP course knowledge to be truly prepared. Most majors care about the gpa in courses required for it- getting a B in an arts class won’t hurt. In fact, this is the time to take courses in subjects you won’t get a chance to study outside of college.</p>

<p>“Closed” courses usually will be closed to students outside SOAR since they try to reserve some spots in entry level courses for each SOAR session.</p>

<p>I don’t understand why required classes are so small. English 100 should be available for freshman who needs it for the requirement.</p>

<p>Well, I appreciate the help. Classes were INCREDIBLY picked over by time I got there. Peer Counselors as well as Professional Counselors weren’t really keen on allowing me to take Calculus again. I got into Psych 202, Poly Sci 103, Weather and Climate, and a Middle Eastern Studies class (Intro to the Middle East).</p>

<p>Spanish 203 closed out as well as English 100.</p>

<p>Actually, if anyone knows anything about any of the three later stated classes it would be much appreciated, it seems like the opened more Spanish 203 sections.</p>

<p>Please Don’t Panic! I’m now a Junior and NEVER fail to get into classes that I want. FYI, I have no AP credits coming in. Some good strategies which have been mentioned before: keep an eye on the wish list frequently as people do change their schedules
If you can’t get in the class, go to that class on the first day of school. Talk to the professor / send him or her an email. Professors may well let you in.</p>

<p>Psych202 is tough because of the curve, be prepared to work hard.
PS103 - no paper all multiple choice questions for tests / exams</p>

<p>And I agree with Wis75 that Math221 is definitely more demanding than AP calc. If you only need Calc1 to complete all the requirements, you are good. Don’t really have to retake it unless you want a good review of all the materials. IF you need Math222 or above, retake Calc1 seriously (as suggested by my TA)</p>

<p>Just a reminder to everyone who tries to take ONLY Easy-A classes: curves do change from semester to semester. A friend of mine got a BC in a class with >60%A because she absolutely hated that class. Bottomline: If you are interested in that subject and try to put some efforts in it, you are very likely to get good grades.</p>

<p>I would guess that Psych is tough for first term freshman. There must be a lot of students that have taken the AP without taking the credits. The are also upper classman who have better study habits. My son wants to major in business, he already has AP credits for Micro, Macro and Stats. He is going to take Calc1 (he already had it in HS). I am looking for other classes for him. He had accounting in HS, I want him to take it the first half of his freshman year, but it may be hard to do. I want him to go to Law school, is there business Law?? I remember taking it in graduate business school. What should a freshman take??? Thanks</p>

<p>justwaiting1: YOU want him to go to law school? What does he want to do?</p>

<p>There are two semesters of business law, classes are full; and require junior or senior standing.</p>

<p>I rather him get a good liberal arts education then a joint law/MBA. Most good jobs will require both degrees. After working a decade he can start his own company. The only reason I didn’t object to him majoring in business in Wisconsin is that the school is reasonably priced and a degree with good grades won’t hurt him when applying to top graduate programs. Most top business schools require business experience. I feel business happens to be one of the easiest majors (its not academic). I have taught my kids business concepts since they were totes. I majored in Math 30 years ago and found that business was easy. My feeling at the time was that I could do anything with a math degree.</p>

<p>There are definitely first semester freshmen taking Psych class. But again, be prepared to work hard and keep up with the reading. Don’t feel too intimated! But this class honestly is notorious for bad curves for intro class.</p>

<p>As for Accounting, not sure if he could still get in to Accounting. AIS 100 is probably the hardest intro business class. In a typical section taught by Grad student, 70% students are sophomore, 20-30% junior and the rest might be senior/freshmen. A must-work-hard class too. If he wants to get a taste of classes in b-school, Marketing 300 could be a good idea. The professor is fantastic. Materials are not hard to understand at all.</p>

<p>Yes, there is business law required for all business students. Most people leave it till junior/senior year…so…</p>

<p>Maybe a Com A (or other writing classes) + 1 humanities class?</p>

<p>IMO the beauty of the breadth of classes at UW-Madison can also be a curse of sorts. So much interesting stuff to choose from, so many different possibilities to pursue early on, that inevitably there will be courses chosen along the way that will end up being needless requirement-wise for whatever BA or BS is the end path.</p>

<p>My D, who is a junior at UW-Madison, has found that’s it’s a constant juggling game between upholding the GPA, not overburdening the current schedule to the detriment of ALL the classes taken, and cutting through the flack to determine what’s the best & most efficient course path to a specific degree. And different advisors will have varying opinions on the matter, almost like city dwellers arguing about the ‘best’ way to drive from point A to point B. It’s maddening at times, but on the other hand you sit back & say, OMG, what opportunities for these kids!</p>

<p>D is pursuing dual degrees, and we’ve all spent countless hours deciphering what course counts for what requirement, and can this course ‘kill two birds with one stone’, so to speak. Bottom line is just plan on constant tweaking of whatever the plan IS! :)</p>

<p>justwaiting. You have to let go. Your son deserves to follow HIS dreams, not yours for him. It is hard as a parent who wants the best for their child. There is so much more to life than being a doctor or lawyer- the standard set by some parents. Hopefully your son listens to you but then chooses his own path. </p>

<p>There is so much beyond business. Many who choose nothing business as undergrads will become the leaders in business, if that is what they like. Your son will be at an excellent school to open up his world far beyond what you know. Be prepared for him to change his major and discover his passion. So much better than working for decades just to make money. A rich, full life. He is entering a world where making money is not the definition of success. Intellectual satisfaction is much more important- and so many diverse ways to get it.</p>

<p>Be prepared to accept the courses he chooses to take. Interesting classes teach the same skills and offer fun knowledge and different ways of looking at the world. They make a person much more interesting than those who stick with standard subjects as taught in HS. Getting a B in a nonmajor class (or more) that one takes to learn something that won’t be learned outside of college is far better than a 4.0 without it. Employers look at the gpa relevant to their field- and they like someone who shows creativity in course selection.</p>

<p>A college education is more than a path to a good job. It is the time to learn things you can’t learn or won’t have time to learn anywhere else. Support your son’s choices, they will all enrich him and make him well educated.</p>