Scholarships?

<p>Unfortunately I am not in the top 10% of my class as we also have tons of kids attending ivies and similarly selective schools. I would guess I am in the 12-18% range but that could be wrong.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I am not in the top 10% I would guess I am around the 13-17% range.</p>

<p>I recieved my scholarship with my acceptance folder in February. I applied Early Action to the Honors Latin American Studies (FILAS) program. When I recieved my letter, I was accepted to complete my studies in "Latin American Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences." I called immediately to see if that meant FILAS. Nobody even knew where to transfer me, and when I finally reached the right department, the director promised a notification no later than April 1st.</p>

<p>I recieved a 24K scholarship, coming from Ohio with a 4.17 weighted GPA, 34 ACT, top 9% and what I thought was a killer essay. When I called with simple questions about the scholarship, I left a message with my questions for an admissions counselor. 3 weeks and 2 calls later, I have recieved no response.</p>

<p>I have also not recieved the FILAS notification, and quite frankly I have given up on UM. I have never encountered an admissions office that does not return phone calls, a snobby receptionist, or the constant uncertainty like UM has given me. </p>

<p>Congrats to everyone on their scholarships, and I wish you more luck than I got when you get there next fall!</p>

<p>I just got my SAT scores today: 720 math, 630 critical reading, 780 writing. Thats a 2130/2400. I was happy but does miami put much emphasis on writing because without that I only have a 1350/1600 which is not that great.</p>

<p>I got a 1340/1980 and I thought that was pretty darn good. ;) But I understand if you don't. I'm satisfied with it. Either way, with a 3.3 GPA and no rankings at my school, I got a $16,000 scholarship. With your GPA and SAT, I'd expect $16000-$24000. Keep in mind your recommendation and essay, too. Both are very significant in the decision of scholarships.</p>

<p>bobcatgirl-I e-mailed admissions to ask a question and they responded to my questions within a few days. Perhaps you need to e-mail rather than phone.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice. It's still so frustrating! The phone is so much easier and quicker.</p>