School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Throw stuff away?? That’s harsh. Stanford is scheduling time slots to move stuff out (our son’s stuff has been sitting in his room since March). If you can’t make it, they have movers pack it up and place in storage. That’s the right thing to do.

Maybe, maybe not. We’ll find out very soon. School starts in August.

But if summer day camps are any indication, such as in Miami, we may in for rude awakening coming soon.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/miami-dade-cancels-remaining-summer-camps-amid-pandemic-concerns/2265298/

The pandemic is out of control and opening schools for in-person instruction is extremely risky for kids, parents, grandparents, teachers, admins, custodians, etc.

Based on three different scenarios, following varying levels of following protocols or not, the US may have anywhere from 200,000 +/- deaths to 650,000 +/- deaths. And the “low” end of the range is if 95% of Americans can follow health protocols, which ain’t gonna happen.

https://www.iqmediacorp.com/ClipPlayer/?ClipID=be215b2a-b75e-4052-9d65-73e315c82bbe

But hey, let’s roll the dice “based on the evidence.”

I agree with this.

Have we heard from any college (among those who are having students on campus) that they would be sending students home if there is an outbreak? Seems that would be a bad decision to send those students home and in planes/trains/automobiles, rather the school would just go to SIP for those living on campus.

@Mwfan1921 Well, I guess we don’t know but many colleges are asking kids to pack light so, to me, that means there’s a chance they will be sent home.

My son’s school has specifically said that they will not be closing dorms and sending people home. School may go to all online, but dorms will remain open. I figure this is so they don’t have to refund the housing $ again.

@me29034 I agree it is all definitely financial. My ds school has specifically said that if they close early there will be no meal plan rebates. They have redone their meal contracts so that they will not be required to return money.

Yes. Like Dickinson, they cited concern over their ability to carry out testing protocols.

@socaldad2002 said:
We have had this discussion with D20 that she should only take the bare minimum with her when moving into her dorm but the more we thought about it, we want her to try and have as normal experience as possible and if having a few extra things (ex. rug or nightstand) will make her happy that I say let her bring more than the minimum.

@Homerdog said:
The pushback about bringing a lot of things to campus is from us parents who lived through the last minute “pack it up and get it home this week” last spring. .

[/quote]

I almost forgot how hard some of my friends had it last spring. For me, the March move out of my son was easy, but his school called it early for the whole semester on March 11th I think, and they gave us 4 days to come anytime, there was no chaos, it felt like normal move-out except MUCH, much, much sadder. Shocking, really. People also weren’t quite in full panic mode about the virus yet, but definitely getting there so there was no real lingering. If I recall correctly, there was no mask-wearing yet; pretty sure the idea of non-medical-grade masks hadn’t happened yet. But now I remember that lots of schools called it during or after their spring break, many people had to go back in April and May to collect their things or have them shipped, etc. Yes, some of that was a real pain!!

For me, being a close drive to school, I can keep an eye on the state of the virus at their campus, and this time I’d probably collect her long before school would even be cancelled, although I think they have it set up so sending home before Thanksgiving is extremely unlikely no matter what happens. So I’m all in with @socaldad2002 , I want to help make this freshman sendoff special and exciting, and given the extra hours she’ll be spending in her bedroom/classroom, I am ok with creature comforts. But you might guess I can be “extra” that way :wink:

The one funny/sad thing as we’ve been shopping and Pinterest-ing…She’ll be in a suite with a common room, and I keep seeing adorable little poof chairs or inexpensive Ikea mini-couches to help fill up the space, and saying, “This will be great for visitors” and then she reminds me she isn’t allowed visitors. Sad. ;-(

@me29034 agreed and this is exactly why my kid made the choice today to be remote.

Wesleyan will require students arriving from states outside NE to self-quarantine on campus until they receive two consecutive negative test results (probably adding up to ten days.) NE students will only require one negative test result with a turnaround period of 3 days:

http://coronavirus.blogs.wesleyan.edu/2020/07/20/july-17-2020-residential-life-update-on-move-in-schedule-and-plans/

Sort of off-topic, but not really: Anyone know how I can cancel notifications for new posts in this thread without canceling notifications for other threads I’ve commented on? It’s completely taking over my notifications. I know how to stop ALL notifications, but I’m wondering if there’s a way to stop notifications just for a specific thread. THANKS!

@brantly — On your computer, go to My Bookmarks. When you see this thread, just un-click the little flag icon and that will remove the thread from your follows.

Although, will that take it out of his/her bookmarks when returning to the site to catch up?

No idea! I just know that is how I silence notifications I no longer wish to receive.

I don’t have this thread bookmarked but it always brings me back to the last post I read when I access it again.

Respectfully, it didn’t have to be this way. You can blame school leadership, blame the media, etc. all you want but countries that are getting their societies closer to ‘normal’ including kids back to school had true leadership at the highest level of government. Ours chose to throw the pandemic handbook out the window…you know, the guy who just now is saying, gee, maybe wear your mask? It was politics over science from day one. And that is a travesty.

@silverpurple I think the AC part is laughable. Really? I don’t think we ever had AC at school. When it got hot we opened the windows. Really. And I am not THAT old. In NE, most schools were built without AC. Anything built in the last few decades would likely have AC but the schools which people who are now the parents of teens attended did not have AC. I went to private and public schools and none had it. There was one wing in my grammar school that had it and kids would linger in that hallway on hot days.
So no, I think AC is not a condition of learning. And classes often got really hot in the winter anyway with pipes and radiators as well as blowers.

Most Denver Public schools didn’t have AC for years. The school year started after labor day and while the last days of school in June were a little toasty, they made due.

With the requirements of NCLB and testing, testing, testing, the school year was shifted to start in mid-Aug and things got bad. One year the first week of school had 5 days of over 100 degrees. They put in air con where they could, but often only for the principal’s office as that staff worked year round. They announce this year that teachers could NOT have fans in their rooms. Now they are delaying school start for 1 week and then it’s on line for 2 weeks, then re-evaluated every week.

I’d say AC is a requirement to start school in many areas of the country.

Clemson University will begin the Fall semester online and will delay in-person instruction until Sept. 21. The semester will begin as scheduled on Aug. 19 with online instruction.

https://www.clemson.edu/coronavirus/

It’s not a bookmarked thread. I have my settings set to notify me when there’s a new comment in a thread in which I have commented. I get a notification in the little bell icon on the top right of the screen (not an email notification). So I usually go through to see which threads have new comments. But it’s all cluttered with this coronavirus thread, which I don’t want to follow any longer. There could be 1,000 notifications, with 950 of them relating to this thread.