School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@Happytimes2001 I remember an almost heated air/no air in school discussion with another mom around 2013-2014. We went to Catholic grammar school without air and it was a happy time to go to a less than three year old high school with air conditioning throughout. I believe her son attended an area high tech schools that did not have air. She thought no problem, I can’t imagine learning without. My kids high school got air in time for them but years without (older building).

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please remember that each post should be specifically about COVID and school issues. I deleted a few posts. I didn’t go through the many new pages since I last checked the thread, so I may have missed some.

Clemson just announced that it will begin classes as scheduled on Aug 19th, but instruction will be on-line only until Sept 21st. Move in for students has been pushed back and will now begin Sept 13th.

If you were in school in the fall of coronavirus, you would learn to click on the little bell and on the top right corner there is a tiny icon which is the “Notification Options”, where you can change the settings. You must have set it up for all these notifications on threads you posted on. :wink:

Isn’t some of the AC question related to issues of potential airborne virus spread? Otherwise I don’t know how it relates?

@sylvan8798 I know about that. But there’s no option to opt out of notifications for a specific thread. You have to opt out for all or none.

Clemson is kind of big news. Wonder if other big southern schools will follow suit. D21 has a friend who is headed there as a freshman this year. She’s devastated. Lots of kids should likely be bracing for a reversal of decisions.

D21 also has a friend going to Indiana. All of his classes are remote. Said he’ll be sitting in his dorm room taking classes and not happy.

More from the Clemson.

Clements says Clemson ran several mathematical and epidemiology models regarding the virus. Said if Clemson opened now, it’s possible it’d have several thousand cases.

@ElonMomMD wow. Good for them. Maybe they should suggest other schools try running those models too.

Um… the year before last, the year my son went back to school, it was 14 below zero in Michigan for a few days. You better believe he was glad of, and wore, a hat, a wool scarf, wool socks, warm mittens. He didn’t have any longjohns so he eventually decided to wear flannel sleep pants under his jeans.

I don’t think that deep freeze was first semester though. And last winter was really mild. And there’s a thing called shipping. If your student needs more than what they bring initially, you can ship it to them!

Late January of 2019. My D still attended the OSU-UMich b-ball, which was sold out. :smile:

We are a small district (two elementary schools with 300 kids each, no busing). I don’t know the plan for the high school yet. I too am curious about how they will get all the classrooms sanitized in an hour.

In my (not Maryland) school, we were not allowed to give students a lower grade than they had gotten the previous semester, even if they completely ghosted.

Teachers are contract workers, and have a beginning start date. Our district is opening a few days later than scheduled because more meetings and preparation are necessary to open school.

I agree with this, but it is more than air conditioning. Many buildings are so old that the wiring cannot accomodate air conditioning. Many schools are just crumbling and riddled with mold, and need a whole new infrastructure.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/21/ut-austin-longhorn-football-fall/

“The University of Texas at Austin will kick off the football season Sept. 5, albeit with a stadium open at half its capacity, athletics officials told ticket holders Monday.”

LMAO.

How much learning do you think goes on when the classroom temperature goes above 80 degrees?

I LOL’d at your LMAO. I guess Texas can dream? Or maybe they’ll actually do it!!

Don’t want to hijack the thread but I couldn’t help chime in on the AC issue. I can remember when the majority of public schools in New York City dated from the 19th century. They were built with hot weather in mind and between the high ceilings and the windows that were so tall they could only be opened with special poles, we made it from September to October and from May to June. On really sweltering days, the teachers resorted to opening up sliding doors that connected all the classrooms railroad style from one end of the building to the other. It made things a little noisier, but the cross-breeze was remarkable.

When they put AC in our southern schools in the 90s, I used to be in the camp of “I lived without AC in schools. You can too!” But my MIL taught from the 60s to the mid 90s would talk about how kids aren’t acclimatized to it. If you live where there’s AC everywhere and then try to go to school without it, it was a disaster. She had to constantly send home kids (4-5th grade) because they would be vomiting from heat exhaustion. Opening the windows and using fans didn’t help enough.