School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

Colleges which contracted with the Broad Institute to provide testing:

Wellesley College,
Emerson College
Clark University in Worcester
Tufts University
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Brandeis
Northeastern

The institute is also partnering with the state’s “Stop the Spread" campaign to test coronavirus outbreaks in communities.

So schools using Broad institute, can you add your school to a list?
Are any of these wrong so far?

Total UG enrollment (? testing faculty)

Amherst College 1,849

Bates College 1,832,
Bowdoin College 1,835.
Colby College 1,815
Connecticut College 1,903
Hamilton College 1,850
Middlebury College 2,579
Trinity College 2,098

Tufts University 11878
Wesleyan University 3,000
Williams College 2,073
BC 14,125
Quinnipiac 10,200
Wellesley College, 2,474
Emerson College 3,855
Clark University in Worcester 2,204
University of Massachusetts Medical School ? maybe about 1000
Brandeis 5,945
Northeastern 19,940

@Sybylla

Bowdoin is having mainly freshmen…so maybe 500-600 kids? But BC is swinging for the homerun…I believe they’re inviting everyone back.

But you know travel baseball for the under-18 set has been going all summer, right? And high school baseball players have been out at recruiting events all summer too. No masks. I know three baseball players and haven’t heard of any virus because of baseball. Lacrosse is playing too.

I have to admit, I don’t understand this point of view from the doctor on the town hall. Let’s just assume that tests are widely available so it’s not an issue of saving the tests for the “neediest”. Why wouldn’t frequent testing help? It enables you to frequently identify asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic people, and take them out of circulation by sending them to their rooms ;-). Even if there are some false negatives, you are still catching the vast majority of cases early (and might at least catch those that received a false negative 3 days later in the next round of testing). So even if it is just a snapshot, it’s a snapshot you can take action with, and likely prevent those infected people from further spread. Just honestly wondering why the CDC would advise against this (unless it’s a rationing situation).

I wish there was enough testing for ALL schools (and other workplaces, etc) to do it this fall twice a week, or every two days, whatever seems best.

Like noted, Bowdoin will have about 600 students but I think they are also testing staff and faculty. Amherst isn’t having all kids on campus either. I bet some of these others also have some kids choosing to study from home or take a gap.

Aren’t Harvard and MIT using Broad as well? They don’t have many kids coming back to campus though.

This reminds me of one of my favorite movies, Dr. Strangelove. In the movie, the B-52 is approaching the target. Major T.J. King Kong (played by Slim Pikens) does a check list of the items in the standard-issue survival kit:

"Survival kit contents check. In them you’ll find:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping       pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella’ could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

Just saying…

@Rivet2000 @Knowsstuff

If I listed the contents of his trauma bag you’d think he was prepping for full on civil war…maybe he knows something we don’t…

For those mentioning their supplies of hand sanitizer, you might want to check the updated FDA list of hand sanitizers with potential methanol contamination.

I’m glad I’m not trying to stock my kids up with all this stuff. They’re on their own.

An article appeared in my old home town paper detailing what the public schools are projecting in terms of fiscal losses this Fall.

“Potential fiscal effects of students opting out of public school districts in favor of charters and other private options are being tallied across the County.
A recent district survey came back with 25 percent seeking options outside the public school. If those numbers hold up, we’d be talking about losing 300 students and about $1.8 million this year.”

The $1.8 million was for just one of the county’s 6 districts. The districts are already underfunded and struggling.

^Wait. What exactly are they losing? Taxpayers?

I’m embarrassed to say we hardly use any hand sanitizer. No one works outside the house. If we go shopping, we use the hand sanitizer at the front of the store on the way out. If we go out and see friends, we wash our hands when we come home. I guess D21 needs hand sanitizer for school but I bet it will all over the place and they aren’t eating lunch at school and she will have a mask on so, unless she goes to the bathroom, I don’t see why she needs it. Maybe on the way out before she touches her mask.

S19 is on his own. Don’t know if he’s working an in-person job yet but, if he’s not, then he’s also unlikely to need a lot of hand sanitizer. He and the boys will be the house most of the day and they can wash their hands.

Why would someone need so much hand sanitizer?

Sounds like they are losing $1.8 million based on the number of kids going to other non-public schools. Trick with that is losing that many kids doesn’t necessarily mean your expenses go down by a proportionate amount. Doesn’t necessarily decrease facility costs or busing costs. May not be able to reduce teaches and staffing by similar percentage as revenue lost.

@homerdog We don’t use hand sanitizer either. We just wash our hands. I do have some in my purse if it ever came up that I felt I needed it and there was no sink. . I think I’ve used it twice.

I had no idea there were districts where public schools were revenue producing.

They are not revenue producing per se. But their funding depends on the number of students. If students leave for other options, the schools lose money.

@circuitrider - In OH, the state pays schools approximately $6K per student per year. If the student leaves to go to a charter, online, or a private school, the public school loses that $. They still have all the same overhead costs for the building plus in most cases, the # of students lost isn’t enough for them to reduce staffing to an amount that makes up for the lost state money. IMO, OH funds their schools very poorly.

Remember, as of right now, my son is scheduled to be on campus five days a week with mostly ftf classes. The school says they have wipes in every class, but he’ll prep like he needs to bring his own. He’ll also work a shift or two on an ambulance each week. He’ll be shopping for food as well weekly. There simply aren’t convenient sinks in all these places.

A cell phone might be the grossest thing anyone carries. Younger people can’t live without them. Small spray bottles of liquid sanitizer are great for cleaning phones.

Will my son go through all the hand sanitizer? I highly doubt it. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have to admit I will spring for the free hand sanitizer wherever I see a dispenser. There’s one right by the elevator in my building and it saves me the trouble of washing my hands first thing when I get into the apartment. Also, as a New Yorker, my life has changed very little since April. Even, if avoiding crowds were my only goal in life, it would mean staying indoors 90% of the week.

We use hand sanitizer all the time. Never leave the house without a mini in our pocket or bag. We have dozens. Sure we use the sanitizer in stores or building lobbies, but sometimes if you touch a rack or shelf, or use a dressing room in the rare store they are open or press an elevator button or get in someone else’s car or touch something in the park…etc, etc. But we used a lot of sanitizer before this too!