School in the 2020-2021 Academic Year & Coronavirus (Part 1)

@homerdog I have, and while I wouldn’t say they are doing great, I still don’t think they are doing nearly as bad as UNC. There are going to be cases; we knew this. UNC, however, has been a total disaster.

Only one of my three state school children has moved in. None have started classes. Don’t assume because nothing has been heard that all is well. If we move into the dorms this week and if I have to move it back home next week I am going to be more than angry plus the dorm “supplies” bill is adding up. I am leaving it all in packaging until we get there. After that it is too late to return.

It’s just UNC Chapel Hill that is going remote, not the other UNCs?

Also, does anyone know if they tested all students before returning to campus?

I agree with @“Cardinal Fang” - priority at these large D1 colleges is sports, not academic labs and academics. Sad

@suzyQ7 Just Chapel Hill going remote. Not the others (yet). I believe they did not test any students before returning to campus (only testing symptomatic students and contacts).

According to D’s bestie at UNC all kids are being sent home except athletes and internationals. ETA this is obviously students in dorms. D’s friend is in an off campus apartment and will stay.

Pitt has reported test results from the first two days of dorm move ins: 452 tests conducted, 2 positives, 0.44% positivity rate.

Maybe the Big 10 was on to something?

They had to send those kids home…they might have infected the football team.

Roller coaster continues - hoping pre-move in testing at Duke will help them avoid UNCs issues but hard to believe we’ll make it to November. They’re starting random testing this week, not sure what percentage, but my daughter’s number was pulled. 3rd test in less than 2 weeks.

Will be interesting to see how many (if any) schools try to play football while they have 100% online classes.

OMG imagine just getting to college and having to go home.

They appear to be testing more. They’re doing surveillance testing.

I feel REALLY, REALLY bad for the students (at least the ones who followed or planned to follow safety protocols) and their parents. I remember my first day on campus at my college and feeling that I’d stumbled into paradise. I would have been crushed to be told to pack up and go home again. So, I’m really very sorry for those affected, but, as I always tell my son, if you can be patient and calm and ride out the worst, the good things will always follow soon enough. Easier said than done, I know.
That said, it seems to me that the colleges should have known better well before students started to get ready to get to school, and not have set them up for such a letdown. I just don’t see any way for any of this to work right now–too many factors, including newly-fledged adults who are so (understandably) eager to have a real college experience, without worrying about things like whether or not they should REALLY stay inside a building when a fire alarm goes off, or even having to wear masks and keep distance from their new friends–not to mention the difficulty finding romantic partners (well, that stuff is important too!) with all of those restrictions. They–and the students who immediately and flagrantly violated the protocols–should be ashamed of themselves. Just my opinion.

Rice just announced that they have administered about 4000 tests (about 900 freshman, students who are advisors for freshman orientation week, faculty, and staff providing essential services) in the last 2 weeks and 9 have come back positive. My D arrived Monday and took a rapid test, followed up with a PCR test Thursday and is scheduled for another PCR test tomorrow. They are testing all students (including off campus students who plan to come to campus) and staff who have frequent contact with students on a weekly basis.

D says so far kids are following rules, wearing masks and distancing but it’s mainly advisors and freshman on campus right now. Campus is dry this week (and maybe longer). Returning upperclassman will move in this weekend and classes start the following Monday.

From a NY Times article about UNC: “The university said it would help students leave campus housing without financial penalty.”
I would hope to hell so.

wonder what UNC acceptance rate and total apps look like next year?same for a lot of schools without a better COVID plan.

It will be so prevalent it won’t matter much.

My biggest fear is not getting there at all…9/8 seems like a lifetime from now!

Of course it will matter. Who the heck wants to go to UNC now? Poor leadership. Bad decision making. No way. I’m not the only one with a 2021 watching schools closely. If UNC made this decision so poorly then I’m sure they are also hurting for leadership overall.

@Luckyjade2024, it would be worse to go for a week than not at all, though, wouldn’t it? It certainly would be worse for parents delivering their kids to college.

UNC Chapel Hill really is a state school… 80% plus in-state students required by state law. It’s very selective and going to UNC CH is a big deal in NC. Sometimes the best networking degree possible… Long term that won’t change.

On the other hand, it has been a political target for decades. Jesse Helmes through Silent Sam.