Schools known for good merit aid

Glenn: I am assuming that you mean Uof Florida OOS. In state, given certain stats, it is FREE. My D wanted to apply to some of the expensive LAC’s-we had to say, sorry, no. Free is Free. UF is also HUGE, a city onto itself, and a bit overwhelming. The problem is, due to Bright Scholars program, doubt you are going to get much OOS unless you have an athletic/marching band hook. Also, they are trying to extend the bright scholars program to those who are neither bright, nor a scholar, as it is maintained that UF in particular does not have enough minority applicants (who make the GPA/SAT cut off) IOW, if they extend more scholarship dollars, it is going to go to instate rather than OOS.

PS: I live 20 feet away from the University of Rochester, so if anyone has any questions, ask away. (For example: Is it cold? Yes, very. LOL)

I think it is funny that UofF has become so exclusive. I grew up in G’ville and didn’t consider it even though it was free for me with the high stats. I ended up having some financial difficulties and spent a semester at Fl. It was so cheap and the classes were just as good as at my top 10 private. BUT, the students…what a bunch of losers. Everyone was stoned out of their minds in the undergrad/general ed classes that I took. I assume it is no longer that way and has become very exclusive. I understand that because of fiscal problems a lot of state schools now actively recruit full pay OOS and foreign students. I am all for Florida trying to get more minority students into the u. The public schools, particularly in minority areas, are so incredibly bad that the state is ending up with so few minorities well prepared for college it is shameful. Unfortunately, not only do few minorities get into UofF and FSU but they have a terrible time finishing. The problem is with k-12. It was racist and segregated in my time and I suspect it continues to be a system that makes it really challenging to be a minority and succeed. Florida is a southern state with a large black and hispanic population. The UofF like many public unis is, sadly, very far from reflecting the demographics of the state.

Dear Olipond,
Are the URoch students smart? Are the courses hard? How about the job opportunities after graduate? anything fun in the city of Roch?
I don’t care about cold :slight_smile:

Washington College in Maryland offers $12,500 per year to National Honor Society students. Additional merit is available depending on your stats - up to 20K per year. Very generous for a small school!

Would love to hear more about which scholarship that was, and if you are OOS there. Is the 3.69 weighted?

I (and many others) got a 24K scholarship from Drexel w/ Honors college.

Northeastern threads include one with status on this year’s EA applicants. I see many (with high stats etc) posting $16K-$20K scholarships. In past years, NMF have received full tuition scholarships… not sure of current policy.

haha I really wish I had found this thread earlier on the FA forum. Between UChicago, UofM, Rice, and WUSTL. Are any of these schools very generous with merit-based scholarships?

UofM is not, do not know about others.

S is a NMSF, accepted to NorthEastern Honors with a full Dean’s scholarship ($80k). He received an email saying that if he progresses to NMF he will receive a full tuition scholarship.

I just want to say that I am nowhere near a perfect-stat student, but I’m still smart. My parents like to call me 70%-Willy, because they feel like I only give 70% effort. When my parents and I were searching for generous colleges, we always got really frustrated because so many colleges give out merit scholarships based on gpa/act combination. I have a 3.45 GPA and a 31 ACT. Despite what many people said, I have been accepted to two good colleges so far, and am still waiting on four others. At DePaul, I got $52,000. At Kalamazoo College, I got $68,000. $12,000 of that was for my musical skills, and that was just a bonus, not the actual music scholarship. So my advice is to throw as many of your strengths as possible into the application. You may pick up random money. But Kalamazoo honestly is VERY generous.

Some colleges offer full-tuiton financial aid packages if family income is below a certain amount. When my son was looking into colleges we contacted different financial offices directly to ask questions about their packages. However, first check the schools’ websites to see if there is any information on financial packages (simply so that you sound like you have done your research prior to calling). My son ended up going to Columbia University. His financial aid package was very good - almost all of tuition was covered. He then later received a scholarship that covered his full tuition. So it is definitely important to speak to financial offices directly as well as research as many scholarships as possible. :slight_smile:

Some colleges offer full-tuiton financial aid packages if family income is below a certain amount.

This thread is about MERIT scholarships (based on stats).

Schools that give need-based aid (like the ivies) don’t apply to this thread.

Elitist institutions offer great financial aide packages. Most of these schools have the goal to NOT have any students pay for college tuition or as little as possible. Prolific institutions such as Cal Tech or MIT offer great research grants. IMO, its all variable depending on background, financial situation, and/or student personality.

S recieved between $10,000 and $20,000 a year in merit money from Colorado College, Willamette, Gonzaga, University of Portland, Knox and Beloit. None required any additional application and do not include grants or loans.

if there’s any grants and loans those will show up on the f/a package (if the student applied for f/a).
congrats pacnwmomof2 ! that’s great news. is one of those his top choice?

CWRU, Miami U (for in-state)

[Cheap</a> and Free Colleges in New York City: Pace, Macaulay, Cooper Union](<a href=“http://puddingicecream.hubpages.com/hub/Cheap-College-in-an-Expensive-City]Cheap”>http://puddingicecream.hubpages.com/hub/Cheap-College-in-an-Expensive-City)

Condor30-He has no idea! Still waiting to hear from five more RD and he hasn’t visited several of the schools. I suspect he’ll be one of those kids who decides in late April.