Schools known for good merit aid

@playacar - That’s great to hear. I have two friends (one from HS and one from grad school) who are both on the faculty at FSU. Go Seminoles! Also - as a fellow Bostonian who is getting mighty sick of snow and cold, that is very tempting. :slight_smile:

OOS kids also get to pay only in-state tuition just by going to one of FSU’s study-abroad programs first year:
https://international.fsu.edu/FYA.aspx

University of Oregon gives a fair amount of merit aid for incoming first-year students. I’ve heard of two California kids receiving $9,000/year ($36,000 total) in merit aid. And they have a bunch of different scholarships: https://financialaid.uoregon.edu/scholarships_freshmen

ASU gives out a lot of merit aid - Go Devils!

1. University of South Carolina
  2. Saint Mary’s College, Notre Dame IN (Daughter received $60k over 4 years - she graduated in 2017)

University of Kansas provides good merit for OOS. My daughter received $13,500 per year and I think there is a higher level above that.

We got very good OOS merit at Kansas State. Made it cheaper than our IS.

I did not read all 114 pages of this thread, so I am not sure if anyone already mentioned Clark University, Brandeis University, or Lafayette College. All have good merit aid opportunities.

Syracuse University is very generous with merit aid. My son was invited to apply for the Coronat Scholarship. His ACT is 34 and weighted GPA 101.7. He applied to 'Cuse as safety, but this makes it very attractive. There are many other opportunities for merit money. Worth a look…
http://coronat.syr.edu/about/index.html

Great info here. How do I save this thread? Just by commenting? Need to find a school for D with merit based aid that covers almost 100% of costs. I could afford maybe $10,000 a year at the most.

scroll to the top and click the star and it will be under your bookmarks

University of Colorado at Boulder offered DD a very generous merit scholarship. Best of luck to all.

@3scoutsmom Thank you!

Hanover College - Madison Indiana. My S did extremely well in Merit aid! Very impressed.

FYI on FSU merit for Class of 2018… this application season FSU changed their rules dramatically due to a “huge increase in applications”. Previously a 3.5 GPA (according to their calculation–which is a core GPA + .5 for Honors or 1.0 for AP/IB/DE), it is now 4.0 GPA and at least a 30 to get the full OOS tuition waiver and at least a 29 for a partial OOS waiver. Big surprise for many students, especially from GA.

@glido Was the merit offer from UC Boulder for a particular major? Just curious!

@snorkelmom and kids with ACT’s of 30 were getting rejected. Crazy year at FSU. Apps over 50,000 from about 30,000 a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I was so excited about possibilities at FSU when I first looked into it six months ago. Now, not an option. Sigh.

@snorkelmom - Not sure. DD got a Chancellor’s scholarship of $20,000 per year. She was accepted into the Engineering school, but I do not know if the award is tied to that.

Subsequently, she has been awarded an NROTC scholarship. We will have to look up how that will work out if she goes that route. Pretty sure it is an either/ or and she cannot stack. The NROTC scholarship covers all of tuition.

Seattle U and University of Puget Sound gave very generous amounts of merit aid for our son, 3.6/1380 SAT/28 ACT.