Science/physics dept

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can give info. on the science dept, specifically the physics dept. How competitive is it? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Physixmom. My son is freshman in physics major. Small department, great advisor, very nice professors ( at least this year :-)) His classes are no more than 40 students, mostly 30. I don’t know how competitive it is, do you mean to get in? It was not hard. My son’s ACT was 31 and he had 4.1 GPA in HS. But there is not holistic approach getting into physics ( like there is in engineering) Once you get admitted to A&M, you’ll get in to physics automatically if it’s your first choice major. His first semester classes are MATH 171 - Calculus 1 proofs ( your kid will have to go thru MPE exam and score high enough to get into 151/171 class) , quantum mechanics physics, physics 101 ( kind of introduction to physics), coding ( python), and ENGLISH and History. He applied AP credits in English. It’s quite demanding semester Math 171 and quantum mechanics physics are not the easiest, but doable. At least my son loves it. But it’s true that some kids decided to change major already. My son told me that some of his classmates are getting out of physics. Physics is one of the hardest majors. Freshman year physics and engineering are very similar, except math171 is slightly more demanding than math 151( engineering), different. They use proofs in math.
If you need some more info, just ask :slight_smile:

Good luck