SDSU Nursing vs. Staying

I’m graduating this year from high school and I got into SDSU with my major of nursing but it’s too far in my opinion. I live in LA and I was hoping to get into nursing at UCI but I got undeclared. I also just got offered a job where I volunteer at and I could work part time while still going to school near here. I was wondering whether just to go straight into nursing at SDSU or if I should stay here and somehow get into nursing. If I stay here, what could I do to get started in nursing?

Are finances an issue for SDSU since you have to live on campus? 2 hours is too far? You have been accepted in an academically competitive program as a direct admit and you would rather take your chances and reapply in 2 years where you may not get in?

Go for the direct admit at SDSU and do not look back.

It’s very competitive to get into SDSU for nursing- I would definitely take the opportunity you’ve been given and go to SDSU.

Why would you apply to a school that you consider too far?

SDSU is rarely able to give you a second chance at nursing.

It sounds like you want to stay home. If you really don’t want to go, please decline their acceptance. That way you will give someone else a chance to go, someone who really wants to go there.

I didn’t consider it too far. But as the days are getting closer, I feel like I would miss home, but everyone is telling me to go since it’s the major I really want and I would eventually get used to it. I feel like maybe I’m getting anxious or nervous? And it’s the only school that accepted me into nursing, others have put me as undeclared.

It’s natural to be anxious but if you really want to be a nurse, this is a great opportunity!

You can find many comments over the past couple of years on this section of CC about students from California who could not get into a nursing program, either as direct admit or as a transfer. You have been presented a great opportunity to be accepted to an in-state public. Don’t let it slip by, or that opportunity may not come again.

You will be close enough that you can come home for some weekends. Amtrak provides service several times a day.