Second Thoughts about Miami

@londondad , I can only offer my impressions based on a single visit with my son. I don’t think the divisions are that concrete, and literally every person I interacted with spoke very eloquently and passionately about their academics, whether music or marine biology or pre med. I spoke to students selling valentines for various clubs and such as well, and they were friendly, clearly social, and equally committed to their studies. I don’t think social life will be defined or determined by just one"type" of student. It’s such a lovely place. But I would suggest visiting and/or reaching out to some current parents by personal message. I got a lot of good advice that way (though my contacts were more specifically in the music school, so perhaps less useful to you). Good luck!

@londondad I don’t you can categorize into distinct groups. My D is finishing her Junior year, she parties a LOT, loves to go clubbing in South Beach, tailgating, is very active in her sorority, yet she has a high GPA double majoring in Fianace and Marketing, works for her spending money, and just landed an excellent summer internship on her own in her field of Finance. We have no family connections and she is focused on working as hard as she plays.

Hello all,

I’m admitted to UM and I am still contemplating my admissions decision. I have come across both “types” of people in various discussions and forums (as in those who desire parties and those who want to avoid them).

I think the key here, and something that UM endorses is open-mindedness. For every students’ sake, my opinion is that it might be in the best interest of every student to avoid labeling themselves either way. If you consider yourself introverted, complete your homework and study and then perhaps try going out. I think UM is about leaving your comfort zone, so I suggest to any student that he/she tries both sides, so that he/she runs no risk of being socially ostracized or unintentionally ostracizing those who prefer different social settings.

Good luck to all, I am excited to meet UM students.

As a parent of 2 kids who went/attend UM I can tell you that all types of kids become friends with all types of kids. The RA’s in the freshman dorm work hard to help all types become friends and they plan social events to blend and foster friendships between people that might never have met, due to their interests, but have commonalities more than just living in the same dorm on the same floor.

My kids were not frat/sorority kids, but had plenty of them as friends. My kids did not go clubbing every weekend, but went occasionally. My kids both worked on campus and were on merit scholarships, but were friends with those who were extremely affluent as well.

They became friends with internationals and kids from all over the US. They got great internships/jobs/grad school admittance without any connections. UM taught them well and they took advantage of any opportunity afforded them. They studied abroad, they were active in religious groups on campus, social groups on campus, made connections with professors and did research. They also had an amazing amount of fun and graduated/graduating with really high GPA’s and awards.

I think that every opportunity is there for any student. But, the students must go seek opportunities as well. They aren’t just handed to them, although with class sizes so small, the ability to connect with professors will ensure opportunities are offered.

My kids didn’t have cars on campus and that wasn’t a problem.

Rest assured that you (your kid) will find their group and find their way. The first month of school is mostly about social activities and helping new freshman adjust. My only suggestion would be not to take a grueling schedule first semester of freshman year. There is too much fun to be had. Plenty of time for grueling schedules later on. The RA’s are there for the students to talk to and if your student is having trouble making friends, they assist in that as well. There are more resources on campus than any one student could take advantage of. We are a proud UM famiily and have such gratitude for generous merit scholarships and financial help. Our kids will be active alumni and proud 'Canes for life. I would have no problem recommending the U to anyone of any type from any background. It’s great to be a Miami Hurricane.

@ummom2 Thanks for the helpful advice, especially about the work load and internship opportunities. Just one folllowup question, as the internship issue is a concern of ours, as my son does not speak Spanish. Were your kids able to find meaningful internships in the Miami area, or did they have to do them in another part of the USA?

I have lived in Miami my whole life and love it. I am not a crazy party animal either and I know alot of people who go to UM that aren’t that type either. Miami is the best city to live in and everyone can be happy here.

My son just committed to Miami today - we are so excited! He will be a business major. @NEILRRM can you please send me info on the Parents Facebook group? I could not locate it and would like to join. Thank you! :slight_smile:

@AZUndecided2020 - message sent

My son had same reservations about FB discussions, he is not a big party animal, no interest in frat life, will double major in STEM and top of his class, chose the U over a couple big name schools after visiting. Now he is very excited and happy about his choice, so are his parents! @NEILRRM pls share with me parent FB group!! Thanks!!

@verona2 - sent a message. Welcome to the U family!

How much is a typical monthly “allowance” to give my UM freshman next year? He will be living in the dorms, on the 19 meal plan and will only be 19 during most of the school year. I can’t even think of what he would need to buy, other than some candy or other snacks. Thanks.

I will have to agree that in a few short weeks Miami went from my dream school to almost a resentment. Compared to other schools they seemed too laid back and unprofessional.

I am a more academically minded student(transfer) and applied and was accepted to the U of Miami. I attended one of the accepted students’ dinner and was completely underwhelmed. They opened up addressing how were were a crowd of computer programmers, honor roll students, athletes, and high achievers and then proceeded to have a Q and A about how fun the city of Miami was. They expounded too much on the extra(and extra-extra) curriculars. Within the first 5 mins of the dinner I knew it wasn’t for me.

Some of the parents asked questions about student life and academics, but they sort of went un-answered.

I RSPV’d weeks in advance, so UofM knew this event was coming up, and it was still so poorly executed focusing on the party and lifestyle aspects of attending school there. They didn’t even do the marker research to tailor their speeches towards those of us who were in attendence…and there were two marketing majors on the panel. They even had an unemployed alumni on the thing.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and attended a second accepted students…in a f*** night club.

My conclusion was that they were too focused on a ‘well rounded’ and extra curricular student, but I’m seeking something a little bit more academic, so I am attending school somewhere else. I loved if from my campus visit and small size, but after seeing how they market-- their recruitment team needs to know their audience a little bit better and get away from this party school reputation.

My other schools were waaaaaay more timely with responses to questions and much more personal. This is disappointing considering that Miami is comparable to the other schools I applied too. The nail in the coffin was that they didn’t notify me of a scholarship until 2 days before the deposit deadline. Luckily I already payed to another school.

TLDR – I decided to attend a more focused, career oriented university after visiting UofM accepted students dinners. You kind of dropped the ball, University of Miami. I don’t know if it’s that you don’t care about transfer students or what, but hem up your recruitment team at the very least.

I’d still recommend however if you were going for Music.

On a positive plug for U Miami, we have found the administration to be beyond helpful, though we are incoming Freshman family. The Cane Day, and then Cane For A Day have been extremely well organized, there were excellent speakers and most importantly every student we met were all too willing to help out, sat on panels to take everyone’s questions with enthusiasm. More than a few had turned down ivies to be here usually for the scholarships, and have found it was a great fit. I completely disagree with previous post on “…attend a more focused, career oriented university …” If nothing else, U Miami has promoted and acted on their early commitment to students’ being matched with work, from research to outside internships, highlighting their career center as a hub that everyone needs to utilize from day 1. They don’t discuss these options so readily at Princeton, Harvard, or Columbia, their focus is more on the institutions’ greatness in and of themselves and of course, “No Merit Aid”. Finally, perhaps PP should have spent more time trying to engage with professors in your major(s) rather than students out to dinner.

@verona2 I found the 10 April Admitted Students’ Day disappointing and a bit disorganised. We liked the band and cheerleaders, but the actual presentations and in particular, the Arts and Sciences presentation was uninspiring. I also found some of the prospective students’ questions insipid, particularly compared to what we saw at other schools. Many of the questions seemed to be along the lines of “Why didn’t I get into X program”. We are indeed having second thoughts.

What school did you eventually choose? I am curious which schools overlap with Miami?

@HpVt9102 and @londondad Did you end up at Miami? How has the freshman year been thus far?

@sdteak Yes, my son is a freshman. So far, so good.

@londondad Great! It must be a relief.