Seen any good movies lately?

My sister also said Yesterday was great and really recommended it.

I really liked Yesterday too. Agree with the comment that it was a fun and different premise. The characters were sweet and it had a positive message.

We just saw Toy story 4 - entire family thought is was very funny. A movie spanning 25 years! It was great to see as a family.

Yesterday:
Frothy, lighthearted, but when nearly every other choice comic book stuff, kid stuff, death and destruction, or nightmare inducing, I’ll take frothy.

…waiting for the CC opinions on The Farewell, as I try to decide which movie to see next!

I had listened to the original story that “farewell” was based upon when it was first aired on “this American life”, it left a deep impression on me. Very much looking forward to watch it. https://www.thisamericanlife.org/585/in-defense-of-ignorance

The reviews are great and I’ll be looking for it.

If you’re an Avengers fan (and if you’re not, I don’t want to know you), Spider-Man is fantastic. No, you don’t need to be a teen, it is very good.

John Wick, on the other hand, is truly awful. I saw it got good ratings, and it was one of the worst movies ever. Walked out about 45 minutes into it.

always be my maybe on Netflix was a feel good movie. I also recently watched blue valentine and it’s good if you’re looking for a sad romance movie. Both are on Netflix.

Netflix “The Highwaymen”. It was pretty good, certainly watchable due to it being Kevin Costner, Woody Harrelson and Kathy Bates and based on real events. I remember as a teen seeing “Bonnie and Clyde” and it was the first truly violent movie I had seen and it traumatized me for a while.

Looks like The Farewell is going to be like Biggest Little Farm, only initially showing at art houses. So if interested, be on the lookout.

It’s so frustrating that I’ve seen previews for The Farewell several times at my neighborhood AMC theater and now that the film is released, it’s nowhere to be found in my entire metro area. I sure hope it goes to the mainstream theaters.

I want to see it, too.

Just read some reviews for the new Lion King. Very positive! James Earl Jones as Mufasa - great!

Interesting that The Lion King is getting good reviews, because (from watching previews) while I think the voices sound fine, I think it looks terrible. It doesn’t look like Africa at all to me, and it’s in that uncanny valley territory of too realistic.

Saw Lion King today. It is pretty much exactly like the cartoon, except of course for the fact of the live action. The CGI stuff is pretty impressive. Billy Eichner and Seth Rogan are a cute pair.

It was okay. It was fine. I enjoyed it. Nothing great, however.

I saw Toy Story 4 over the weekend with my two sons. We all enjoyed it as much as we have enjoyed the entire franchise. We stayed all the way through the credits and caught cute post-credit scene.

I really enjoyed YESTERDAY.
HOWEVER
I’d like to discuss the ending, which is what I kinda dislikesmd.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Don’t read if you’ve not seen the film

But if you have please comment…
I don’t get how his admission that guys named John Lennon, Paul mcCartney, etc, wrote the songs, led to his being reconsidered as a genius because while people of that name existed in that world, they never formed the Beatles and never wrote the songs. That’s the whole premise of the film!! So the way anyone would understand that claim, in the world of the film, is that Jack channelled made up geniuses because he doesn’t know where his ideas and creativity come from… In a normal ending for this world they’d interview him, look for the so called geniuses, find they never wrote said songs, glorify Jack’s humility/excentric nature, and he’d keep on being famous (albeit not rich).
What do you think?

I thought Yesterday was fun and enjoyable – but only as a fantasy, not to be taken seriously, because of a silly and essentially unsustainable premise. But it was a fun romp & it gave the filmmakers a way of doing a kind of Beatles greatest hits movie without having to deal with the plot & casting issues of a typical biopic. That is, the movie could have a guy recreating and singing Beatles songs without any pretense that he was a Beatle or that the lives of any Beatles were being portrayed. (Except for the one instance that would be another spoiler). So I think the whole point of the movie was to go with the premise, have fun, and not try to think too hard about the plot points.

The Beatles had such an influence on pop culture that it really wouldn’t have been the same world had they never existed — just in terms of the other music and bands that did exist in the reimagined parallel universe.

But I enjoyed the movie much more than Rocketman – probably in part because there was no attempt or aspiration to pretend that any part of it was true-to-life. The movie just took a “what if” premise and had a lot of fun with it.

Saw The Farewell this weekend and liked it a lot! Great performances and more fun than it sounds. Catch it when you can–it was at mainstream-ish theater in Chicago suburbs this past week.

Also saw the documentary: Maiden, about the first all-woman (or any woman) yacht crew to do the sail-around-the-world Whitbread race in the 70’s. Awesome and inspiring!

I’m hoping to catch The Farewell next weekend, when it opens at the only place I can find it.