Seen any good movies lately?

I have only seen Pulp Fiction which I thought was brilliant. DH absolutely refuses to see things he thinks are going to be too violent (but nevertheless has been sucked into Game of Thrones, West World and Stranger Things which can all be pretty gruesome.)

I hardly ever read fiction, but absolutely adored The Art of Racing in the Rain - I don’t care if the movie is good or not, I’ll watch it, and the book will remain a favorite. Also looking forward to the film, Where’d You Go Bernadette? because I’m a fan of Cate Blanchette. I like Quentin Tarantino but cannot watch his films…after Pulp Fiction I had to count myself out (although I did see Django Unchained).

Yesterday (which I saw the day before Yesterday)… “essentially unsustainable premise” - True. But that’s the case with sooooo many movies. It’s just that movies like Superman etc have less overlap with common folk.

Saw The Farewell, and my friend & I enjoyed it. Not GREAT, but good, interesting, enjoyable.

I’m glad I saw the movie before listening to the Fresh Air interview with the director.

Anyone see David Crosby: Remember My Name? Very well done documentary, and yet he’s admitted to being kind of a jerk and S, N and Y will no long speak to him, so that’s pretty sad. On the bright side, there’s a fair amount of Joni Mitchell in it, although not a current interview. I teared up during a visit he makes to Kent State, with Ohio playing in the background. I was a kid just 30 miles away in 1970, and the El Paso shootings had just happened a few hours before I saw the movie.

@Barbalot

I’m a big CSNY fan. I’m hoping the Crosby bio doc comes to our local art house. I’ll definitely go!

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Please, no spoilers. I deleted several posts.

Just saw the trailer for Maiden, about the first all female yacht racing team that entered the Whitbread Round the World sailing race in 1989. They faced much ridicule and disrespect from their male colleagues, as well as the general public when they announced their intentions.

Looks like a great documentary.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=OMBM10cBhIs

Haven’t seen it yet, but plan on catching The Peanut Butter Falcon. As you might guess by the title, looks like a quirky movie (which I usually like) and the reviews have been very positive.

If anyone’s considering going to see “The Kitchen”, save your money. What a stinker!
My mistake not reading the reviews first. I was hoping the cast of women would carry it but, sadly, no…

Oops, too late to edit but I meant to add that there was a pretty great trailer for “The Goldfinch”, coming out next month. Can’t wait!
https://youtu.be/rmP5SnnZIK4

I saw Maiden this afternoon. Wow. Exciting, funny and exhilaratingly.

When I was in England visiting my brother he dragged me to see Midsommar. He didn’t know anything about it other than it had an actress he likes and had good reviews. OMG, what a ghastly movie. I don’t know how it had a single good review. It wasn’t a horror movie in a scary way but in a gross way (I actually had my t-shirt pulled up over my head at one point and I’m 66!). And then there was a very graphic sex scene that I was not even embarrassed to be sitting next to my brother during because it was the unsexiest sex scene in the history of sex scenes.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!!

Really enjoyed The Peanut Butter Falcon today. I see 2-3 new releases a week and most are forgettable. This one is worth seeing.

I watched American Factory on Netflix tonight. A very nuanced documentary with a variety of complex issues. I highly recommend.

H and I started watching The Family on Netflix. Very interesting.

Just saw Blinded By The Light. It was another musical romp and parts of the story were a bit too pat for me but it was enjoyable. This is not a spoiler but it is set in 1987 and some of the issues back then are issues today which was depressing. If you’re a Springsteen fan you will enjoy it.

Just watched Rocketman. I hadn’t read up on it before watching and was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. I think it is a better movie than Bohemian Rhapsody which I was so-so on. Taron Ederton who played the lead role was very good as was Jamie Bell who played Taupin.

I went to the movies by myself today. The air conditioning in my place has been broken for 5 days and I’ve been miserable, so off to the movies I went. I saw Angel Has Fallen. I had rather low expectations and I’m not a big fan of action/thriller movies, but I really liked it. It was very well done.

I also just saw Blinded by the Light. I thought it dragged a bit and took too long to get to the meat of the story. I also found myself critiquing the essay he began to read about at the awards ceremony! Read too many college essays I guess!