Seen any good movies lately?

I just got home from watching Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice.

It was so good. At the end, when we get to the part where she can no longer sing, how she feels about it, how some of her peers feel about it, I had a huge lump in my throat. Then I started hearing sniffles throughout the audience. Everyone was very touched.

I highly recommend it.

I just came back from seeing Ad Astra and was so disappointed, especially in light of the great reviews. Glacial pace, cliched theme, horridly written voiceovers (which comprise the majority of the spoken element), some decent special effects, a couple of action scenes that are completely random filler, and that’s about it. I haven’t seen a good science fiction movie since Arrival and was really looking forward to this. But unless you have a strong desire to gaze at Brad Pitt in close up for two hours that feel like four, I’d skip it.

Wait, gaze at Brad Pitt in close up for two hours that feel like four? What more do you need?

Me and my girlfriend are going to see it tomorrow, no husbands allowed. I like anything science fiction, so if I don’t like this, it’s really bad.

I’ll be looking forward to your review – I’m also a Sci fi fan, but not a fan of poorly edited movies that drag on unnecessarily. So MommaJ’s review has me a little worried.

I’m almost always willing to see a sci fi movie even though so many are disappointments. I’m not crazy about Brad Pitt, who I always confuse with Matt Damon. Boring white guys. IMO. Agree that Arrival was the last good movie and I had issues with it.

I liked Ad Astra… a lot. However, I do appreciate Brad Pitt (and most of the movie involves screen time for him, so if you’re not a fan, don’t bother). I also love Matt Damon too (who is not in the movie, but in reference to @mathmom and her “boring white guys”—what, he’s awesome, in my opinion). But I might have a different basis for enjoyment as far as this movie goes. I’m not overly picky about sci fi movies, can’t think of one that I actually have disliked. I always wanted to be an astronaut, and definitely identified with the main character. We also had a bottle of good red wine and weren’t in a hurry to go anywhere. It helped distract me from the stresses of the week, but if I was expecting a quick action film, I would have been disappointed. It was definitely a movie that required deeper thinking than most sci fi flicks.

Well, @busdriver11, I’m puzzled by your statement that Ad Astra requires any deep thinking. I thought the theme was obvious and repeated endlessly in the voiceovers. I don’t like action films, so a lack of action wasn’t my issue at all. And the several action sequences that required Brad to play superhero were so tangential to the plot that I felt like they were thrown in just to satisfy those who require some battles in their sci fi.

I think it’s interesting that while the movie gets an 82% positive critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes, the audience rating is only 45% positive. That may just reflect the fact that some attendees were expecting a Star Wars-ish film, but I’m interested to see how Ad Astra fares after this weekend. I just have a feeling word of mouth won’t carry it very far. The theater was only about a third full for the 7:30 show on opening night, which doesn’t bode well.

And I love the trio of them, but this is more wholesome than anything I’ve seen before. I also ouldn’t say that Kevin Smith is very wholesome in general though, outside of Jersey Girl.

@Marilyn
Almost Famous is of my lifetime favorite movies–it’s in my top ten for sure. But when I hear there’s going to be another treatment of a work I love, part of me wants to say “Stop! Don’t mess with perfection!” So I’m not sure how I feel about a musical version of the movie. On that subject, I’m seeing a touring company production of Once soon. I loved the movie and was very hesitant to see a stage version that might not live up to the film’s charm, but my D saw it on Broadway, loved it, and talked me into it. Fingers crossed.

To be fair I’ve liked Matt Damon in every movie I’ve seen him in. (And I didn’t think he was snarky enough for The Martian.) It’s more that he has sort of an unmemorable face. Looking at the list of movies Brad Pitt’s been in, I’ve actually seen very few of them. I don’t generally like contemporary musicals, so I agree why mess with perfection?

Yesterday I had the great fortune of seeing the one man show, John Leguizamo’s Latin History for Morons live.

It is also available on Netflix, and I 150% recommend it.

Our children (teen and above) need to watch it as well. he doesn’t mince words, so if words upset you, don’t watch it.

The show was born out of a true story; in middle school his (then 12-year old) son was being racially bullied. John went on a personal quest to help his son learn about Latin heroes. A quote from John “It’s a raunchy, historical, informative, elevating show. So be ready to be rocked to the core. It’s not for the light-hearted.”

There’s a huge reading list and I’m already starting.

I really enjoy Pitt in 12 monkeys where he stepped out of his pretty-boy image and really acted, then in his recent “Once upon a time” movie, he matured into a great actor who is confident and at ease.

Yeah, perhaps the words “deep thinking” were not the ones I was searching for. Perhaps a more accurate analysis would have been, “Opportunity for self reflection”, but obviously not everyone will have the same reaction. I don’t mind voiceovers, I can understand the point is to let the audience know what the character is thinking, when the character is not much of a talker.

It’s definitely not a movie for everyone, but some people will like it a great deal.

@JustaMom

Thank you for the mention of Latin History for Morons.

I watched it last night on Netflix.

(1491 is an excellent book, IMO.)

So many good movie recommendations! I just saw Brittany Runs a Marathon. Funny and touching. Previews: Frankie (Isabelle Huppert – looked good but depressing); Portrait of a Lady on Fire (probably could watch it at home just as well); Lucy in the Sky (confusing); Honey Boy (not a big Shia LaBoeuf fan).

Watched Spike Lee’s 1989 movie “do the right thing” over Netflix. We had wanted to watch it for a long time and are really happy we finally did. It stands the test of time well, not only in terms of the acting but also (sadly) the storyline. It is strange that so much seemed to have changed from without yet at the same time, not much did from within.

Do The Right Thing is one of my all time favorite movies, @makemesmart. Agree that the thematic elements are still, sadly, relevant today.

Saw Downton Abbey yesterday. Loved it, beautiful scenery, music gave me chills, nice story and costumes…well done! Very fast 2 hours.

Spoiler…

I thought they did a nice job of setting up the next movie, if there will be one, without Maggie Smith. If it takes 5 years to make, she very well may not be here. I’m sure that scene was hard to get through for both actresses, and there would have been real emotion. It won’t be the same without her.

After my Movie Pass expired I tossed and turned and finally bought in to the Regal Unlimited. I love movies and I have 10 art screens within 3 miles of me, 5 are walking distance; I have another 20 screens within 5 miles, so access to good films galore.

My first film was Judy, with Renee Zellweger - what a tragic ending to a life so promising. Some of the film was very good, some missed the mark, but overall it was very good. I was surprised that Renee did her own vocals. I don’t think it was Oscar worthy, but I did think it was very good.

Next up, The Peanut Butter Falcon.

Wow! Just wow!

To start, let me say I don’t enjoy “super hero”, shoot-em-up, sci-fi type movies at all. At all. I don’t find them creative or thought provoking, which is what I DO like in film.

Last night I went to see Joker, for one reason only…Joaquin Phoenix. I find him the most complex film star in recent years. I can’t (honestly) think of another young(ish) actor that intrigues me and keeps me riveted from one film to another. And he absolutely did not disappoint as Joker.

A couple of times the film was a bit too intense for me, but in A Clockwork Orange way. This film is a character study, and study we did. I can’t imagine anyone else but Joaquin portraying this character that was discarded by the society he lived in. I felt sad for him, I cried for him, and on the rare occasion, I smiled for him. It’s a story of trauma, both physical and mental. It is a true roller coaster ride. There is some violence but it’s not for show. It is not gratuitous.

If Joaquin Phoenix doesn’t take home Best Actor at the Oscars I will be truly stunned.

I recommend this film wholeheartedly.