Seen any good movies lately?

We watched Two Popes on Netflix. H and I both thought it was wonderful. Superb acting by Anthony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce. Makes me want to go back to Rome!

I could tell from the previews that Uncut Gems is a movie I’m never going to see.

@Classof2015 I agree that Little Women moved at a snail’s pace at times. Amy’s look wasn’t flattering. I do did think Saoirse (Jo) Ronan’s performance was award worthy. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Plus, I recognized a number of the places used in the filming—quite a few spots in my town and those nearby!

We saw Little Women yesterday and I just loved it. Bromfield, what a beautiful area to live in. Oftentimes I don’t enjoy films based on books I have loved but this was an exception.

@NJres I can absolutely believe that Uncut Gems is a great movie but just from the previews is know I would HATE it. Just not my genre.

@Bromfield2 – thank you – and I totally agree with you about Saoirse (Jo) Ronan’s performance – she WAS Jo – and brought a luminous intensity to the role that swept me in to the story. But every time Amy opened her mouth, it was a jarring wake up call. I think she was miscast.

Where was it filmed? I thought someone said Newton but I could be wrong.

I also loved Little Women. I didn’t find it slow because of how Greta Gerwig used flashbacks to tell the story. My only frustration was trying to place the actor playing Mr. Brooke. D was trying to rush me out of the theater, but I made her wait until I saw the credits so I could figure it out - James Norton from Granchester. I miss Sydney Chambers!

Little Women was filmed in Concord, Massachusetts and surrounding towns. The home was in Lancaster. I also live in the area.

Just watched Parasite. Very very good. Can’t say much without spoiling the plot.

It was filmed completely in Massachusetts. Towns other than those mentioned above were Harvard, MA (where the Alcotts lived for a short time and participated in a communal living experiment–now part of Fruitlands Museum) and Concord, MA–where the actual Alcott house is located (they didn’t film in the house because the rooms were so small). There were other locations as well. Here’s an article about the locations in MA:: https://www.boston.com/culture/entertainment/2019/12/24/little-women-filming-locations-massachusetts

I saw Ford vs Ferrari last night and loved it. Great racing scenes. Definitely makes you want to go out and drive!

@bloomfield88 thank you for the rec of About Time. We loved it. From the description I expected it to be a silly romcom but it was so much more!

I saw Uncut Gems today and neither my husband nor I were fans. He absolutely hated it. I just didn’t think it was great, but I didn’t think it was horrible, which he did.

S and his friends went to see Uncut last night and didn’t think it was that great.

I just had to go see Star Wars .

We did a family outing to Star Wars on Christmas. We really liked it. DD and I are seeing Little Women tomorrow.

H and I both liked Star Wars too.

D and I saw Little Women. very beautifully shot. lovely movie, I agree Amy was miscast.

Saw Little Women today. Thought it was okay. Wasn’t wowed. Yes, Amy was miscast in my opinion. Saorise Ronan was very strong and saved the movie, IMO. I don’t think the jump around in the time sequence helped the film, I think it detracted. We went with a few men who weren’t familiar with the storyline and if you go into the movie not having a history with the story, I don’t think this rendition had strong enough character development. I didn’t find any of the romantic relationships convincing enough, enough chemistry created.

I did like the addition of a more feminist underlay to the movie, the scene with Amy talking about a woman’s options and marriage.

I saw Uncut Gems and absolutely loved it!! Adam Sandler did a fantastic job and I read that he stayed in character the entire time of filming and it really showed on screen.

I liked that the story was believable, intense, suspenseful, realistic, and had a great unexpected ending!