Seen any good movies lately?

Watched Once Upon a Time In Hollywood last night. Not as good as I thought it would be and I agree a bit boring in parts. The ending was our Tarantino, but left me feeling sad. I did like the humor throughout it.

@conmama. Exactly. After watching one of the recent award shows I was excited to see it. But my reaction was the same.

Heat is one of my favorite movies. DH and I use Ashley Judd’s subtle hand signal (that she used when warning Val Kilmer) when one of us wants to leave a party/function. ?

Saw 2 movies this weekend - The Two Popes - a very nice and enjoyable docudrama - not particularly Oscar material (in my opinion), but a nice couple of hour film - and Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood - Tarantino in all his tongue in cheek glory. Loved the twist (no spoilers) and really appreciated that I only had to squint for about 3 minutes. I grew up in LA in the late 60s and got every reference, recognized all the “stars” and streets. Tarantino isn’t for everyone, but I thought he did a very good job. Loved the chemistry between Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt. Margot Robbie is a very interesting actress to watch. She is very nuanced.

Margot Robbie is very talented. Her characters are so diverse. Just look at ITonya and then see her as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad and Birds of Prey

And today I just saw Margot Robbie in Mary Queen of Scots - she was unrecognizable, physically, vocally, acting-wise - just in every way - remarkable!

H and I saw 1917 last week and it we really liked it. I hope it wins some Oscars. I liked the lead character, I hope we see more of him. H saw Parasite and liked it.

Watched “The Farewell” …uplifting

I saw Just Mercy this afternoon and found it to be well done and very powerful.

The annual Jewish Film Festival is coming up. There are some interesting films on the schedule.

For something light and happy, a friend saw Dr Doolittle today and highly recommended it. I haven’t yet seen it.

The critics are absolutely trashing Doolittle.

I thought Doolittle was cute. I have Regal Unlimited so it didn’t cost me anything specifically to see the movie. Wouldn’t have been worth it for a paid ticket, but it was a cute movie and I don’t think it deserves the trash from the critics.

We watched “The Irishman” last night. The acting was excellent, of course, but what a long movie! And so intense. DH is grumpy today because we stayed up too late watching it.

@MaineLonghorn - we finished The Irishman last night. There was no way we could watch it all at once. We liked it, but my D and her friends did not care for it.

Goodfellas is one of my all time favs, and I’ve heard folks say it’s much better than the Irishman so I’m not sure I want to see it. We saw Can You Ever Forgive Me the other night and enjoyed it very much. I thought Melissa McCarthy did a great job.

Ok, I’m an outlier here, but I didn’t like The Irishman at all, in part because I don’t have the common fondness for the actors. I actually find they’re all fairly lacking in range and have been doing the same thing for years. This movie isn’t close to being on par with Goodfellas or any of Scorsese’s best work.

@JustaMom

I’m into Hindi movies, too! My D’s boyfriend is from India and I started to study Hindi.

My Hindi movie recommendations are:

Blackmail (Black comedy)
Bhavesh Joshi Superhero (Action drama)
Dangal (Based on a true story about Indian female Olympic wrestlers)
English Vinglish (Heart warming drama about the Indian woman’s trip to NYC)
Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… (Super family melodrama. 3 hours and 31 minutes! )

Except for the last one, there is no song and dance but they are all highly entertaining!

I am going to check out the one you recommended!

I enjoyed Dolomite is My Name.

Ruth E. Carter did an amazing job with the 70s looks.

Eddie Murphy, in character, was infused with crazy optimism. What a story!

I could not finish Dolemite. I did not find the jokes funny so couldn’t get past that.