Seen any good movies lately?

A friend and I watched Marriage Story on Netflix. Neither of our husbands wanted to see it. I enjoyed the film—it was sweet, funny, and sad. Adam Driver and Scarlett Johanssen deserve their best actor/actress nominations.

Another Ethan Hawke and Before trilogy fan!

I keep hearing great things about Knives Out.

Speaking of nominated movies, I don’t believe anyone has mentioned Parasite. Saw it with my son and we thought it was really, really good. I had NO idea what it was about going in and it was quite the intense ride.

@TS0104 - several of us mentioned Parasite - myself included. Agree, it’s not for everyone, but a very good film.

Saw two movies this week: Just Mercy and Knives Out

Just Mercy was great and tells the story in a powerful way. My only criticism was a slightly heavy hand in a few places. I had read the book and also have seen Bryan Stevenson speak, so I knew the story but a story that needs to be told and re-told.

Knives Out was fun and had enough twists to make it interesting. A old-fashioned mystery with a great cast.

Thanks for the heads up on 1917. I am very sensitive to jumpy camera shots, especially at the movie theater so don’t think I will make it through. Had to leave Uncut Gems because our seats were too close and there were no other empty seats in the back of the theater.

@mom2and did someone say 1917 had jumpy camera shots? That’s not my recollection of it. It was shot to look as though it was all one shot and they made that very smooth actually.

I’m also a big fan of 1917. I saw it over the weekend and was impressed by the story, the actors, and the camerawork. I’ve seen most of the movies nominated for “Best Picture” and so far, it’s my favorite.

I can’t remember who here said they didn’t like it - something about it being difficult to watch and maybe the actors weren’t sympathetic? Anyway, I disagree. Really liked it, and I usually hate war movies.

People keep saying about Parasite that “it’s not for everyone” which begs the question, who is it not for?

in post #2474 @busdriver11 spoke about the linear shots being like peering over someone’s shoulder. And then said this:

{quote} If you like war movies, I’d see it once, sitting back as far as possible in the theater[\quote]

Sounded to me like I would get motion sickness from watching.

Besides that post, IRL several people have said it was long and not very interesting (and these are people that are avid moviegoers and generally enjoy challenging movies).

@mathmom

I posted upthread that I went to see Parasite and enjoyed it. I was in the mood for something weird and different & it delivered! Wow! Plot twist! Gasp!

My movie buddy? She hated it. She said she didn’t regret going to see it with me, but she “hated everything about it” and it was a movie with “awful people doing awful things to one another”.

I could kinda see her point. It did not have a traditional person or persons to cheer & root for. No traditional story arc.

There is some violence that some viewers may find upsetting or difficult to watch.

That’s all I’ll share so as not to invite spoilers!

@mathmom, I haven’t heard that but here’s my guess: 1) People like my husband who don’t like subtitled movies 2) there are a couple of pretty violent, gory scenes 3) if you thought going in that you were seeing a typical horror/scary movie, it is not that. I definitely was not disappointed, but I was surprised by what it turned out to be.

I agree with @scout59 - I thought 1917 was amazing, gripping, great acting, storytelling, cinematography, everything - and I am NOT a fan of war movies! I see what @busdriver11 means about peering over someone’s shoulder - I’d say it feels more like you are walking along next to or just behind the characters, like you’re IN the story, which was amazing. I get motion sickness and that was not the feeling I got from it - it was very smooth, just you stay with the characters’ POV most of the time. I’m surprised people would feel it was too long and not interesting but not everyone likes the same things!

Add me to the list of people who love Brief Encounter. I first saw it in the '80s at Theatre 80 St Marks. I wish the neighborhood theatre had Parasite. It’s showing, but somehow on a winter weekend I don’t really want to get on the subway to see a movie.

I felt like I was watching over someone’s shoulder who was playing a video game, in 1917. That was tedious for both me and my husband, plus they didn’t develop the characters much, nor tell us much about the war, you’re just following one long mission. Still a decent movie, but I would watch it from the very back of the theatre. I usually sit in the middle, not too close, and this started bothering my eyes.

Thanks @Midwest67 I have a pretty high tolerance for weird and can take more gore than DH (who wouldn’t see Pulp Fiction which I thought was brilliant). He is watching The Americans with me which is certainly littered with dead bodies. I don’t particularly enjoy books or movies where everyone is unlikable, so I will probably continue to give it a pass, especially since I hated Snowpiercer which was also weird and had mostly unlikable characters.

I would not consider Parasites to be a gory movie. @mathmom if you have enjoyed Pulp fiction, then I think these two movies’ “gory-meter” is on par. It is definitely not at the same level of Reservoir Dogs, not even close to it.
To me the great thing about Parasites is its rather unique way of presenting inequality and the deformed society “norms”. I actually have deep sympathy towards the main characters, they of course are not the traditionally likable characters of the down and under, like the nurse in Knives Out, but they are much more realistic and believable. It is an absurd story, but at the same time, the absurdity made the whole point rather more poignant. I am sorry I have to talk in a very general way so as not to spoil the plots.

I appreciate you being careful not to spoil the plots for those of us still waiting to see it!

Little Women: loved it but I can imagine someone not familiar with the book being confused

Uncut Gems: like watching a slow motion train wreck

Knives Out: had a great retro Agatha Christie feel, good fun

1917: incredible cinematography, although some of the pan shots were a little dizzying. Not an “easy” movie but this is the one that sparked the best post-viewing conversation.

My husband didn’t think it was confusing and thought the cross-cutting actually helped with its episodic nature. I thought it made it harder to tell what got left on the cutting room floor!

@mathmom - my assessment as to why Parasite is not “for everyone” is several factors…
1st it’s a foreign film, with subtitles; some people do not like “reading” films…(I even know someone who won’t watch black and white films)

It’s unique in its story line…it goes from one end of a spectrum to another, and not quite in the blink of an eye, it’s actually a slow burn, but the far end of the spectrum might be jarring to some - I told a friend, it’s like a Korean Tarantino film…in a good way!

Its language is “rough” - some may find it offensive (not me, I couldn’t care less).

It delivers a social message, and some just don’t go to the movies for social messages, they want escapism, and sweet stories that tie up nicely with a bow at the end. Parasite does not.

All that said, I still think it’s a great film, and I’m glad I hadn’t read up on it before going, because it took me on the great ride it intended.