Seen any good movies lately?

Finally saw Parasite and was blown away. Usually the more hype the less I like something, but this one deserves its hype. My husband hates foreign films, and my D19 violent films, and both were riveted to the end too.

Hoping to see Marriage Story today and then other than The Irishman, which I have no interest in, I’ll have seen all the Best Picture nominations. There were several that I liked. Actually, I really liked all of them other than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. I’m rooting for Jo Jo Rabbit or Parasite to win.

Anyone else a Wes Anderson fan? Impressive cast.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/12/wes-andersons-the-french-dispatch-first-trailer-launched-online?

I watched Honey Boy last night and thought it was really well made, and that it was brave of him to open up his childhood publicly like that.

I am hoping to see Honey Boy later this month when it is showing for one night at the Alamo Drafthouse.

@JazzyTXMom just FYI it’s available on Amazon Prime as well.

I watched Honey Boy last night, too. Agree with everything you said, @milgymfam .

I saw Harriet on Monday night. My community college sponsored the showing at our local artsy house theater as part of Black History Month. A colleague who teaches history spoke about the historically accurate parts and the embellished parts which added to the experience. It is a powerful movie.

Did not like Parasite AT ALL. Another couple in the theater said they didn’t get the hype, either. They said it seemed like it was written by a kid. Oh, well.

Saw “Harriet” with my wife today. Wow! I mean Wow! Great acting. So much I never knew. So important on so many levels. Redbox it.

Saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (99 cents at Redbox, FYI). Husband and I did not like it at all. I don’t think it was deserving of the Best Picture nomination nor did I see anything exceptional in Brad Pitt’s performance that won him Best Supporting Actor. I found it so slow moving for the first 2/3rds. All that driving around. And, typical of Tarantino, too much violence at the end. I do appreciate the attention to detail in getting all the little pieces, props, settings and wardrobe of the period with accuracy but that’s the best I can say about it. I can only think it got so much acclaim because of the stars in it and Tarantino’s acclaim and the Hollywood vainglory towards movies about itself.

I also didn’t understand how Once Upon a Time got the nomination. I just thought it was meh.

Zombies 2!

Beautiful storyline, and great performances.

I finally watched Parasite. Disturbing but excellent movie. Definitely deserving of the Oscar, imo.

I also watched The Gentlemen this weekend. It surpassed my expectations. Very interesting storytelling. Loved it.

^I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree about Parasite.

@itsgettingreal21 I saw The Gentlemen not too long ago and it was much better than I had anticipated.

Saw Downhill yesterday. Not very good, would not recommend. Though I want to see the original Swedish version it was based on (Force Majeur) as that one is apparently quite good.

Saw Birds of Prey today with my husband and DS18 and we all enjoyed it. Harley Quinn just kept cracking me up.

I just watched Once upon a time in Hollywood via Amazon Prime. At times, it really dragged. I felt like Tarantino was leisurely making several movies within a movie. A western, a bio-pic, and an indie (closely observed relationship between the star and his stunt double). I was relieved at the ending, and I found it wistful and touching.

@voyagermom we saw Force Majeure and it was very good - very subtle - from what I’ve seen of the trailer for Downhill, won’t be seeing it - afraid I will hate what they did to it!

I also just saw Parasite and thought it was funny, disturbing and definitely interesting on many different levels. It reminded me a lot of Pulp Fiction where you are simultaneously horrified and laughing. Also of The Americans where you are rooting for these people even though they are doing terrible things.

I saw Force Majeure when it came out years ago. The humor creeps up on you. Just saw Parasite. Was there a likable protagonist? I wasn’t sure who we were rooting for (or maybe that was the point). I do have to admit swooning when the Korean Stepford wife walked into her huge closet and there were three Birkins.

Oh – and SO many previews (maybe 7?). One really scary movie: the Lodge. Plus one with Carey Mulligan I don’t think I’ll see. I’ve been too conditioned to enjoy a female revenge flick. One with Elisabeth Moss that looks like her character was married to my ex. And Portrait of a Woman on Fire (which I saw a preview for at least a year ago – maybe it’s being re-released?). Visually delicious.