Seen any good movies lately?

We always have subtitles on and use it on all our tv watching, network tv, movies, everything.

Finally saw Andrew Lloyd Weber’s “Love Never Dies,” when it was shown at no charge online. It had some interesting melodies but of course strange, operatic story line.

Watched Bad Education last night. Very good, great acting (Hugh Jackman, Allison Janney)

Saw Late Night the other day. Fairly cute, watchable, I could watch Emma Thompson recite the phonebook. And I haven’t seen any of Mindy Kaling’s other stuff, but she was appealing.

Is anyone watching the free access to the SXSW Film Fest on Amazon/Prime?

I have watched some great shorts (can I list that here?)

Tonight I watched a 13-minute piece, Vert, which actually took my breath away for its employ of a very modern, quite futuristic in fact, approach to its easy-going, heart racing, breath taking, surprising yet not totally unexpected, reveal.

I’d say watch it if you can.

Last night we watched Red Joan, somewhat based on a true story I had never heard of. Judy Dench stars and Sophie Cookson plays her younger character. An 87 year old woman is arrested and accused of sending British secrets to the Russians. Her past story is at Cambridge when she is studying Physics and there are Communist sympathizer students. Interesting, something different, not great reviews, we disagree.

Thanks @Waiting2exhale - I knew that was going to be on Amazon Prime but then I forgot - will definitely check it out! Last night we watched Chinatown with our D20 who’s heading to USC School of Cinematic Arts in the fall. It was of course really good!

Ok I watched the short movie “Vert” that @Waiting2exhale mentioned and thought it was interesting but I am not sure I really got it! However, after that we watched another film from the SXSW films that are on Amazon Prime called “Selfie” - this is a full length film of several different stories and characters whose lives end up intersecting and it’s about technology and social media and its influence on their lives - and it’s very funny! It’s in French and has subtitles in English.

@CAtransplant, don’t feel bad. I didn’t get “Vert”, either.

We finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in America last night on Starz and am so glad we did. It was very different …and riveting. The acting was stellar and the period references ongoing, sometimes almost overwhelming. I’m not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I hadn’t lived through the period. But even if you just filtered down to the main storyline (not much of a plot, actually) with Leo and Brad’s characters, it still held my interest for all 2 hours and 40 minutes.

@Marilyn I think you mean “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood”? There was also a film called Once Upon a Time in America in 1984 (I googled to check) but Leo and Brad were not in it - Robert DeNiro and James Woods were though :smile:

@CAtransplant - yes, sorry, you’re right. Once Upon a time in Hollywood. Although the title does pay tribute to the earlier title!

Watched Richard Jewel and it’s filled with solid actors and is well done.

^The end of Richard Jewell made me very uneasy. Not sure we were supposed to be or not. Sure, he was a decent, if single-minded, guy, who did a very brave thing and was treated badly. But everything the film itself shows us demonstrates he shouldn’t be in law enforcement.
Curious to know whether you think that was intended, or not, and how you understood the last scene.

@MYOS1634 I didn’t feel uncomfortable- surprised that he could pass both the physical and mental health screenings for becoming an officer, but not uncomfortable. I’ve met many a cop that had issues that worried me more for their role in public service. The movie depicted him, imo, as flawed but earnest in his care for his duties to the public.

Came across The Nice Guys when we were looking for something to watch the other night. Did not choose it. Has anyone seen it? Was it worth two hours? It looks like fluff, but that’s what we’re looking for these days. And I do love Ryan Gosling…

@MYOS1634: I agree with @milgymfam that many police officers have serious issues that should arouse concern.

When I was in grad school, the person who lived in the apartment above me was working on his PhD. He was a psychologist for the college town police dept. Told me that he was horrified by some of the thoughts shared by his clients. Never shared details, but he was genuinely spooked by his experience treating police officers. He earned his PhD & left. The new tenant above me was a police officer. He had serious issues. Was kicked off of the police force before the end of the year.

I finally got to see Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” last night. As a fan of Tarantino, I must say this one was a big let down. I get all the period references as the movie rolled on, but Tarantino succeeded in conflating the definitions of homage and mockery of once upon that time. The mockery part was at its zenith in the Bruce Lee scene. I get that it’s a fictionalized Tarantino’s “expect the unexpected” style of movie making and that he was trying to pre-establish the stuntman’s (Pitt) dangerous character going into his encounters with “a bunch of hippies,” but Tarantino’s miscue in his creative decision backfired severely and only served to undermine the credibility of his imagination. The movie was way too long, and in such cases the usual suspect is usually the movie-maker’s fallen a bit too much in love with one’s creation. DiCaprio and Pitt’s performances were what carried me to the end without falling fast asleep.

Bad Education on my schedule tonight. I remember when it happened - was a very big story here in NY.

DH is not a big movie buff but we have a few old chestnuts that we have been watching (mutually agreed upon). All are fun and escapist.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Michael Caine and Steve Martin)–just delightful.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (extremely retrograde gender dynamics but the most amazing choreographed dance scenes and it’s based on a Stephen Vincent Benet short story about a tavern servant girl who reads Plutarch).

Next Stop Wonderland (I referred to it above)

Airplane-no comment needed.

Eurotrip (I know, I know–but the “touchdown Pope” scene is great)

Trading Places (probably his all time favorite because it shows the actual commodities trading pit in the World Trade Center before it was destroyed)