Seen any good movies lately?

Kids got me an iPad for my birthday (I said I wanted something to watch movies on). I’m a woman who watched the entire first season of Handmaid’s Tale on her phone. We don’t have any smart TVs in our house. They’re all old and we don’t have the cable plan to get Netflix etc. But I’m looking forward to playing (or streaming if that’s the word) all these great movie selections now that I have a place to watch them on!

Watched 1st 3 episodes of Anne with an e—very well done! Also watched Donna Reed show with my mom—two episodes. I had never watched either before.

Loved “Anne with an e” and was sorry it was cancelled. It left the Ka’kwet subplot hanging.

@Marilyn I was recently talking about the movie Room. I have a list of depressing/sad movies that I can rewatch (ex. Girl Interrupted, Atonement) then there are movies that upset me and I can’t imagine watching again (Room, Wind River) movies more difficult to get out of my head.

Last week we finally saw the 2019 Little Women movie, I loved it (DH liked but not his genre). My favorite movies last year Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit And Little Women, all totally different but excellent. 1917 the only nominated movie we still have to watch. One of my sons was looking up Oscars year by year, 1995 was the last year I saw all the best movie nominees!

Watched Project Power this evening and we really liked it. The visuals were just gorgeous!

Also, it’s not a movie, but we really like Lovecraft Country!

Thank you for this recommendation. My wife and I enjoyed it very much.

“Made in Italy” with Liam Neeson and his son Micheal Richardson. We really enjoyed it even though it wasn’t the highest rated.

Really enjoyed Amazon Prime “The King’s Speech.” It was awesome and inspirational. Saw WE as well, about Wallis Simpson, which I found very confusing—confusing plot.

I have been enjoying the Wimsey videos—Murder Must Advertise, 9 Tailors, and 5 Red Herrings. The main actor looks older than Wimsey was in the books but otherwise it’s very entertaining.

1 Like

Watched The Kitchen again. Still great. Amazed by the casting, editing & script writing. Not a wasted second.

Can’t Buy Me Love with Patrick Dempsey, which was released in 1987, is still entertaining with nice scenes of Tucson, Arizona. His co-star (Amanda Peterson) died at age 43 due to an overdose (was using heroin & meth). I believe that she was 16 when the movie was released.

Watched “Richard Jewell” on one of my subscription channels (Netflix?). It was very very good. Kathy Bates did her usual great acting job and the story itself was something different. Not the usual rehashed story lines of so many films. This poor schlub was just too naive and trusting to realize what was happening to him. Thumbs up!

Then there was the oldie I watched “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie”. I thought it won awards decades ago when it came out. The story made my skin crawl. Miss Brodie was villified but the art teacher who seduces underage girls was just fine. Obviously a story that no longer fits the morals of our time. Thumbs down.

I CANNOT WAIT to watch Class Action Park premiering tomorrow (8/27) on HBOMax. Just watching the trailer brings back soooo many great memories.

@TatinG I remember really liking The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie years ago - Maggie Smith was great - “my pupils are the creme de la creme!” “Give me a girl at an impressionable age and she is mine for life!”

Finally watched “ Sleepless in Seattle,” which I had never watched fully before. It’s one of my sister’s fav movies—it was a nice upbeat romcom but not very deep.

Also watched Sabrina with Harrison Ford. It was different from the classic with Audrey Hepburn (free With ads on Amazon vs a charge for the one with AH). It was pretty well done.

My neighborhood AMC theater reopened so I went to see the Burnt Orange Heresy yesterday. The movie is OK, not great, but it was nice to be back in a theater. It was a most unusual movie experience - I was completely alone in my theater and I never saw another customer coming or going. The theater was very clean and they had buckets of disinfecting wipes stationed all around.

I’m going back in a few minutes. As of now, I’m the only booked ticket.

I haven’t been to a theater since December or so and have no likelihood of going until after COVID isn’t creating the need for lockdowns and renewed lockdowns in my community. Movies aren’t a huge part of my life and I can watch them just fine in my own home with NetFlix or Amazon Prime. I, my H and my mom are pretty high risk and it just doesn’t seem worthwhile to expose any or all of us to the potential risk. Our theaters weren’t all that busy before COVID, I have no idea how they will survive now and going forward.

Well, I watched Class Action Park as promised. It was a very well done documentary about a place you wouldn’t believe existed if you didn’t actually live through it. The memories came flooding back and I found myself laughing and nodding in agreement through the entire film. Ahhhh nostalgia, a great break from today’s harsh realities.

I watched Class Action Park - between hysterical laughter (mine) and shock (also mine) I found it to be an interesting story during interesting times. The outlandishness of it all reminded me very much of Tiger King. Definitely worth 90 minutes of your time.

Drunk Parents on Netflix- just funny. Needed some humor. Haven’t laughed out loud in a long while like that.

Last week I watched Hamlet with Laurence Olivier on TCM. I’m not a huge Shakespeare fan, but I loved it.