Seen any good movies lately?

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. I am gonna put sometime away this weekend and watch. I only hear good things about it. All my years as a chess dad makes me want to see this movie.

If you all want another really great but True story of an unlikely chess champ look up " Queen of Katwe" . This is very nicely done and I like true stories.

We watched Holidate on Nextflix last night. It was cute and fluffy and a great end to our rainy fall weekend.

We saw * Last Holiday with* Queen Latifah, Depardieu, and LL Cool J. Totally predictable, but a lovely confection.

I really enjoyed Fisherman’s Friend on Netflix. It’s based on a true story of fishermen in Cornwall who find fame singing sea shanties. It’s just nice.

@Knowsstuff , @TiggerDad and others who enjoyed Queens Gambit, excellent article about the author of the book it’s based onl So much of the story is autobiographical, oh and he wrote, The Hustler, The Color of Money, and The Man Who Fell To Earth.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/11/9/21555790/the-queens-gambit-netflix-book-walter-tevis

1 Like

^ Interesting article about Queens Gambit. I have 2 more episodes to watch. That explains the masculine flavor of Beth. Fascinating.

Last night we watch “Late Night” (Netflix, Emma Thompson). I liked it, husband less so. A bit like “Devil Wears Prada” though not as good as that classic.

Tonight we both enjoyed “Fishermans Friends” (Netflix) based on above recommendation by @Onward. Thanks!

I’d recommend “Conspiracy”. Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci, Colin Firth. It’s based on actual transcripts of the Wahnsee conference which put the plans for the Holocaust into motion. Very well acted and very chilling.

Last night we watched “The Life Ahead” (Netflix, Sophia Loren - now age 86). It was serious but very good. - https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheenascott/2020/11/14/the-life-ahead-the-new-italian-film-on-netflix-starring-sophia-loren/?sh=1be1a8f833c2

That is a great movie. One of my favorite Colin Firth performances. Tucci also excellent, and of course Branagh.

We watched a good Billy Crystal movie the other night called Standing Up, Falling Down. It was a great vehicle for Crystal’s talent. Enjoyed it!

We’re three episodes into Queen’s Gambit and are enjoying it very much. Tonight I will be watching a new HBO docu, “Murder on Middle Beach,” which takes place in the town where I grew up. Should be interesting.

The trial of the Chicago 7. Excellent.

Watched the “Pope of Greenwich Village” with Mickey Rourke and Eric Roberts

Oldie but goodie, haven’t watched in 20+ years

We watched a family friendly dog movie tonight, Patrick, on Netflix. It was cute, fluffy, and perfect for my mom.

“The Impossible” is streaming on Netflix now. It’s based on the true story of a family that went through the tsunami in Thailand. The special effects are so good I feel like now I know what a tsunami would really be like. Ewan McGregor and Naomi Watts star.

^ The first time I watched The Impossible I was on the edge of my seat. I felt like I was in the midst of it myself. Really great cinematography. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet. Sit in front of your tv, keep your eyes on the screen, and don’t multitask.

^and it has a little Tom Holland, on his way to great things.

We rewatched Fargo yesterday. It was as good as I remembered all these years later. I had forgotten that it doesn’t actually take place (except one scene) in Fargo, but in MN. Now that we live here we had a good laugh because when I watched it in high school I was flabbergasted anyone wanted to live somewhere so cold and dreary. Ha!

I watched it this week and enjoyed it.

Probably best performances by both actors.

1 Like

nobody has seen a movie?
:disappointed: