Seen any good movies lately?

I rarely watch movies. Like 3 a year.

For a light easy watch with a bit of a holiday twist, The Happiest Season on Hulu was entertaining. Recently released stars Daniel Levy, Kristin Stewart, Audrey Place.

Loved the acting by the main characters sisters, especially Jane. The storyline is something I could really see happening largely in real life.

I second The Happiest Season. We watched it a few nights ago, and enjoyed it.

I just ran into Pride and Prejudice, A New Musical on Amazon Prime. I hadn’t known about it but enjoyed it immensely. It was a delightful and entertaining version of the story, owing some aspects to the BBC series but adding entire dimensions within the songs. I wasn’t a fan of some of the melodies but the cast did a stellar job adding nuances and feelings to the plot by virtue of both lyrics and fourth wall breakage asides. It’s very likely I will watch it again just for the fun of it.

1 Like

I watched the latest Little Women and I really didn’t like it. I didn’t find the characters likeable, I thought they acted and spoke in a more contemporary fashion, and I didn’t like the jumping around. To me it didn’t do anything to improve the telling. Even knowing the story well, there were still some points when I was confused where they were in the story.

Also saw The Invisible Man remake with Elisabeth Moss. I thought that was good.

1 Like

I just caught the end of a Hallmark movie, and Alicia Witt was playing piano and singing a pretty Christmas song. I wondered if she was actually singing so looked her up. I had no idea she was a musical prodigy - singer, pianist, songwriter. Apparently two of her original songs are in a new Hallmark movie this season, Christmas Tree Lane, and she has multiple albums out.

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. I smell Oscars.

Combine the excellence of one of August Wilson’s best (from a long list of great options) with Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman - it’s hard to miss. And it didn’t. Currently 99% on RT.

Being in Wilson’s native Pittsburgh, I was fortunate to have access to one of the very few actual theater showings in the county, but it will be on Netflix shortly.

2 Likes

My daughter and I just watched Safety Not Guaranteed, an older little indie, and we were delighted by its subtle charms. We both love Aubrey Plaza, but I know lots of people don’t- she is definitely the star here so your enjoyment may hinge on that.

2 Likes

I started watching The Prom last night on Netflix. Star studded with Kerry Washington, Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman, James Corden…a movie + musical. I’m about half way through and not sure I love it. I’ll finish it but it seems (so far) quite cheesy and a surprising choice to me for these reputable actors.

Has anyone else watched?

Well, I finished The PROM and my opinion of it went up in the second half. Still a littlelike High School Musical but better character development in the second half. Not a wasted couple of hours.

@Onward and others… thanks much for the recommendation of Fisherman’s Friends — DH and I enjoyed it immensely!

2 Likes

I am glad you enjoyed it. I think it’s been overlooked by many. I think they see sea shanties and think not

1 Like

Fisherman’s friends. Great movie we just watched, I would never have found it. Needed that in these times.

1 Like

The new version of Little Woman was filmed in my town and a few surrounding towns. It was fun to watch how the movie makers created the sets. A number of my friends and neighbors were extras and several scenes were shot in a friend’s store. There was a special showing of the film in a local theater (arranged by our library) for residents of my town and that’s where I saw the movie. I think I spent more time identifying the people and places and didn’t focus as much on the movie. I should watch it again!

4 Likes

@Bromfield2 that’s very cool!

I don’t think it will qualify as a “good” movie, but our family just got around to watching Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga on Netflix the other night. Typical idiotic Will Ferrell movie, but we sure laughed a lot.

3 Likes

@college_query I laughed a lot at that movie too!

I have been working from home since March and found time to watch many movies I have missed. Okay, below are the movies I have watched so far:

Kill Bill, Baby driver; Mad Max (2015); Bridge of spies; Hell or High Water; Knives out; No country for old men; Us; Get out; Hereditary; Arrival; The Hurt Locker; Parasite; Looper; Greyhound; Blade runner 2049…

1 Like

Really good. I had never heard of it till our son told us about it.

An oldie but goodie. Idiocracy. Just replace “Costco” with “Amazon,” and here is our future, predicted.

1 Like

We saw George Clooney’s The Midnight Sky yesterday. Great cast. It’s a little slow. There’s dumb sci-fi stuff, where I was shouting at the screen “They are dead already!” but at least one thing I thought was really dumb might be explained by the little twist at the ending.