Seen any good movies lately?

We also enjoyed My Octopus Teacher. Slow paced, but interesting.

I loved Parasite. I watched it a second time a few months after the first. What a ride. It fits my personal idea of a top notch movie- engaging, suspenseful, great cinematography, great acting, and satisfying conclusion.

2 Likes

Yes indeed!

Our family just finished watching Legend of the Falls. It is a beautiful movie with Brad Pitt and a few other notable actor/actresses whose names I have since forgotten.

Summary: The movie talks about three brothers and the woman that came between them.

2 Likes

I watched Legend of the Falls a few years ago. Loved it. Brad Pitt was so young.

2 Likes

umm so yesterday we just finished a movie and… the name is kinda weird but it is a very heartwarming movie: The Scent of a Woman

Synopsis: Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade (Al Pacino) is a blind war hero. Charlie Simms (Chris O’Donnell) is a poor student attending Baird on scholarship. The two meet as part of a weekend care giver job but it quickly turns into an adventure as Frank Slade packs up and heads for NYC. Such an amazing movie with a great ending. Al Pacino does a stunning job as a blind man.

4 Likes

So fun to get a glimpse of life through young eyes again, @AllGoodNamesRGone. We old(er) folks saw that movie when it came out. Pacino won the Academy Award for Best Actor, and the film was was nominated for Best Director and Best Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published, and it won three major awards at the Golden Globes (thanks Wikipedia for helping my memory). So glad you stumbled on it and enjoyed it. :blush:

8 Likes

I never saw Scent of a Woman and my 19 yo D and I are looking for movies we’d both enjoy. So thanks for that great rec, @AllGoodNamesRgone!

2 Likes

We watched a movie recently. Words and Pictures stars Clive Owen and Juliette Binoche, love both. Takes place at a private prep high school, an English teacher and a new art teacher compete art vs. words.

Truthfully, I love school set movies, always have since Love Story. I even occasionally update my favorite school themed movies! This movie had so-so reviews, not sure why. The actors and story were entertaining.

1 Like

Watched V for Vendetta with my D19. One of my all time favorites! The dialogue is amazing and the plot is so relevant to this past year.

These days I started watching some old movies I never watched: GoodFellas, No way out, L.A confidential, Reservoir Dogs, Three Days Of The Condor, Ronin.

Goodfellas is one of my favs. Also loved No Way Out. Kevin Costner, sigh.

Another good school set movie is Dead Poets Society.

2 Likes

Kevin Costner…I watched his Dances with wolves when I was very young and liked movie. Then recently watch his Let him go and couldn’t recognize him.

Re-watched Costner in The Guardian a while ago. The ending is tough.

Yeah, IMO he peaked in No Way Out. I didn’t even like him in Dances With Wolves. I mean I liked his performance but was over him by then, lol.

I’ve never seen Dances with Wolves, but I remember my Mom’s review of it, “It should have been called Dances with feathers in his hair”.

Try Revenge with Madeleine Stowe, JFK, Tin Cup, two underrated, different roles in The Upside Of Anger And Mr. Brooks. Also, Hidden Figures had Oscar noms and Molly’s Game, both based on true stories, very good. I will say I usually like Kevin movies and both Bull Durham and Field Of Dreams many views. Dances With Wolves, awards and many fans, I never wanted to watch?!

Hidden Figures is one of those movies we decided was worth adding to our Blu-ray library.

The most recent addition to this library is Ford v Ferrari. Highly recommend.

7 Likes

This is definitely not something that is for everyone, but we watched a horror movie last night called Saint Maud. It’s an A24 movie- a studio we are always willing to try- and it was very well acted and the directing was great.

I watched The Scent of a Woman many years ago. I always like Pacino because of God Father. I clearly remember when I was watching The scent of a woman, I was surprised to see Philip Seymour Hoffman played a role in the movie.

2 Likes

Hub and I just watched Scent of a Woman thanks again for the rec. Hub really liked it! It’s rare we can find something we both enjoy. Pacino does his usual great performance and wow - Philip Seymour Hoffman - so young (and such a good actor!). I think he said that movie launched him.

2 Likes