Seen any good movies lately?

I agree. Soul was surprisingly good.

1 Like

We just went to a number of new films that were featured at the local film festival. There were three that I really enjoyed: Summer of Soul, documentary about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival–amazing music; Playing with Sharks, documentary about an Australian diver (Valerie Taylor) who worked for ocean conservation, focusing on sharks. Amazing underwater footage; and Trying Harder. This film should appeal to CC posters. It’s a documentary about a group of smart, nerdy, students at Lowell High School in San Francisco. The film follows a group of kids through their senior year and all the trials and tribulations as the kids apply for the most selective colleges. There’s a focus on some of the parents as well. I believe all of them will be or are already available on Netflix.

2 Likes

I saw In the Heights on the big screen last night. Loved it!

3 Likes

Want to destress after a rough day? My wife asked me to watch Studio Ghibli’s handmade “From Up on Poppy Hill” and I loved it. I will be watching more Studio Ghibli movies and the documentary about the founder is quite interesting.

1 Like

Just do not watch Grave of the Fireflies it will not help to de-stress.

2 Likes

Has anyone watched Jungle Cruise? It sounds a bit like Romancing the stone, a film I’d liked as a kid but that didn’t age well (or perhaps watching it as an adult couldn’t live up to the excitement of seeing a grown up movie as a little kid).
I know it’s based on a theme park ride and involves 2 actors I like.

Haven’t seen it but reviews haven’t been kind, lol.

The Edge of Seventeen is on Netflix - a high school girl dealing with family/friends. Sounds so ‘done a million times before’ but this one is actually really good - great acting, funny, fresh, heartfelt. Excellent reviews.

2 Likes

We really liked A Quiet Place II. My younger daughter who hadn’t even seen the first one even got sucked in right from the start.

3 Likes

We watched The Last Love Letter From Your Lover on Netflix last weekend. The movie wasn’t so great, but we loved the scenery and I loved the clothes from the 1960’s.

2 Likes

Me too! We watched it a couple of days ago. I didn’t see the first in the theater with H/younger S, but I was hooked from the beginning.

We also liked the Fear Street triology on Netflix.

1 Like

“Terminal”, starring Tom Hanks. (It’s on Netflix.) Laugh out loud funny but not goofy. Great characters. Hanks at his best.

2 Likes

Red Joan was we thought an intriguing Netflix movie. A different view to being a spy. Based on a true story.

1 Like

LOVED the movie “Terminal” (about an adventure in an airplane terminal, ie not terminally ill patient). Tom Hanks was endearing, and the rest of the cast was fun too. Slow paced, enjoyable movie.

1 Like

Me too. I thought the bureaucrats were hilarious when they talked to the foreigner in English when he could barely understand a word they said. Classic bureaucratic behavior.

2 Likes

Gunpowder Milkshake on Netflix. It took me a while to talk my boys into watching it with me, but once they gave in, it was a wild ride and we all enjoyed it!

1 Like

I saw Jungle Cruise last weekend and found it enjoyable. I was reminiscent of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. The Rock and Emily Blunt had good chemistry.

2 Likes

We watched Plan B and Unpregnant today and thought they were both fabulously well done. Obviously if you’re really pro life they’re probably not for you, but otherwise I highly recommend both.

I really liked The Green Knight as do the critics (85 metascore on Rotten Tomatoes) Great retelling of the story similar to John Boorman’s Excalibur from 1981. Not for all tastes. Many folks found it slow moving and expecting an action flic. I really enjoyed the dual roles for Alicia Vikander and her blank verse monologue toward the end.

We watched Cruella last night on Disney+ and thought it was fun.

2 Likes