Seen any good movies lately?

We saw Rent live just before Covid hit. It was the traveling crew and well done but none of us had known the story. We all just knew that one song—“Seasons of Love,” I think is the title.

1 Like

@Colorado_mom - I agree “Tick…tick…boom” movie was much better done. Rent movie was entertaining (I love the story and music) but the film version seemed to lose something.

1 Like

I like the music for Rent, but I guess I’m just a crabby grownup. I felt like all the characters just needed to grow up and stop complaining!

3 Likes

We saw Ghost Busters Afterlife last night. I LOVED it. Paid an appropriate amount of homage to the original. Lots of fun. I thought Phoebe was brilliant. I kept thinking that she reminded me of Young Sheldon and later when I looked up the actress, I noticed she was on that show for 6 episodes. We will definitely see that one again.

3 Likes

I watched Tick Tick Boom yesterday and loved every second of it. I am a huge Broadway musical fan, growing up seeing shows on Broadway and the Off Offs (I grew up in NYC) - the cameos of Broadway’s Who’s Who was mind blowing - I caught 7 (including Lin’s own cameo) but there were so many, and a ton I would never have gotten. My buddy who I travel to NYC from So Cal with just to see shows (well not since Covid days…thanks Covid) sent me this article…Tick, Tick, Boom: All the Broadway cameos in the Netflix movie’s diner scene and more.

3 Likes

Yea, I also felt frustrated with the characters in the Rent movie. In TTB you got to understand the relationships, feel for their challenges. The Jon/Michael friendship was sweet.

1 Like

We enrolled in Disney+ for a month, since my husband wanted to see the Beatles program. I tried to watch it too… not my cup of tea. But we both really enjoyed Cruella! Not really what we expected, but very fun.

4 Likes

I’ve been enjoying watching “The Beatles: Get Back” with my husband. I think it’s pretty fascinating. I’m a fan, but not a huge fan. My H was a huge fan as a little kid. Really interesting look into the inner workings of the band for me. I had seen the movies like Hard Day’s Night, but never saw the Let It Be concert so not a huge fan.

2 Likes

I thought The Beatles: Get Back was fascinating. You can see both what good friends they are, and how they really can’t stay together. Paul’s got to have everything right and is never convinced anything is good enough, Lennon wanders in late with Yoko right next to him. Other wives are wander in and out. They try out the same songs a hundred different ways. Lennon can’t remember the words to songs he wrote. Everyone can play multiple instruments. I really have a new respect for what they did. (But I’ll always be more of a Stones girl.)

4 Likes

I actually found a little bit of the Beatles recording interesting… just not so much of it. I certainly understand why others, like my husband, enjoyed it.

Tonight’s find was also on Disney+ (National Geographic) Becoming Cousteau. Gosh, I had forgotten seeing his fascinating documentary programs. He was really ahead of his times with environmental awareness. Interesting biographical info too, often from his old home movies I think.

2 Likes

This one was my favorite about Cousteau. I’ll freely admit bias due to being right there along the St Lawrence when it was being filmed. It’s my favorite river.

But anything about/from Cousteau I’ve always loved. We’ll have to try to catch the new one.

2 Likes

Watched Tick, Tick…Boom with husband last night and loved it! Never thought hub would enjoy but he did. Not huge Broadway fans but the passion for following a dream, the ties of friendship - so well done and engaging!

4 Likes

The Beatles: Get Back! Massive Beatles fan here, been a fan since I was a little kid. I love them together, I love them separately (George is, and always has been, my favorite). I’m midway through the doc, and so far I am savoring every golden morsel. I keep laughing at Yoko, sitting there, quietly reading her mail (she had her checkbook and looked like she was paying bills!), and while John didn’t seem distracted by her being right there, I kind of was (and I am a huge Yoko fan). There’s a sweetness in watching the lads together. There’s magic happening right in front of our eyes. I can assure you when I’m done I’ll turn right back around and watch it again. It’s that delicious to me. Like a cake I can’t get enough of.

My friend and I were talking about The Beatles (and other musicians whose careers were cut incredibly short - also dropped in Jonathan Lerner connecting TTB) and how while we have Paul and Ringo still putting out music and touring (and if you haven’t seen Ringo’s All Star Band, it is a treat!) we really have no idea what (if anything) more they could have brought to us as listeners. Did Hendrix peak at 26? Would Janis have been as magical when she was 32 or 35? Would Jonathan Lerner ever have created another Broadway show as impactful as Rent? We’ll never know. They all remain frozen in time, in our minds, in our hearts. Like the lost love from our teens. The ones that got away.

Sigh…

6 Likes

OMG yes! I would have not expected that until we went to the concert at our local winery. We loved it! High energy and so much fun.

Want to sign up for Disney Plus just so Mr. could watch the Beatles documentary. Is there anything else good for adults to watch? Not Star Wars fans here.

2 Likes

There’s a Cousteau doc that’s on my radar. And every Pixar and Disney film. Take Disney+ up on a 30 or 90 day offer. Watch, then cut the cord.

2 Likes

Thanks! Their website does not have too many details, just lists some top offerings. Might give it a try. Noticed that they also have all of The Simpsons episodes. That might keep my husband busy, lol. I’m personally sick of depressing news, gory or toilet humor-filled new movies and shows… A good Disney movie here and there sounds about right now.

2 Likes

Wintertime is a perfect season for Disney and Pixar films…at least in my world! :blossom:

2 Likes

Soul on Disney plus was enjoyable. Encanto also looks good.

5 Likes

I just saw Julia, a documentary on Julia Child. It was very interesting and I recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about the queen of cooking shows.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed Jungle Cruise…which surprised me because the trailer was very lackluster.

5 Likes