Seen any good movies lately?

Ah you’re right! I forgot that!

We just finished watching, “Lunana a Yak in the Classroom,” and really enjoyed it:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lunana_a_yak_in_the_classroom

It’s a drama showing gorgeous scenery of remote Bhutan. Reading about it afterward, many of the characters in it played themselves. The teacher is fiction - the culture and scenery are real.

Definitely glad to have come across it, but not a film suitable for those who prefer action films. We like a mix of things plus definitely love great scenery and learning about various cultures, so it suited us well.

2 Likes

Just got back from seeing Bullet Train for the $3 movie ticket day. It was nice to be in the air conditioning for a couple of hours since we are having a heatwave even here by the coast. The movie was very entertaining.

4 Likes

Was visiting mom the other day and the aide had on “Something’s Gotta Give” with Diane Keaton, Jack Nicholson and Keanu Reeves. It was entertaining. I had never seen it before. Don’t think mom followed the plot but at least it was pretty cheerful and actors mom recognized. Can see why the leads won awards in the movie—they were excellent.

4 Likes

I also saw Bullet Train tonight and enjoyed it as well.

We selected Allied o Amazon Prime, a 2016 WW2 drama with Brad Pitt, for our Saturday Night movie. (Other nights are usually a variety of binge shows). We both though it was a good movie. We probably should have skipped watching the trailer that had a bit of spoiler for early scenes, but there was still plenty to keep us interested.

Enjoyed “Elvis” this weekend.

1 Like

I just watched “Mr. Jones”, and recommend it highly. It is about the cover-up of the Soviet forced starvation of Ukrainians during the 1930s, and the complicity of the western press. James Norton and Vanessa Kirby turn in strong performances, and Peter Sarsgaard steals the show playing Walter Duranty, in all his depravity.

1 Like

D and I watched Elvis this weekend - a bit long in the tooth (it is a Baz Luhrmann after all…) but overall we both enjoyed it. We’ve heard all the stories, and there were a few that were pure fiction in the film, but overall, if you’re an Elvis fan (raises hand!) you’ll probably like the film.

As a costume designer who is often working with beading and crystals, she remarked about the many (many!!) costume changes, and wondered how many were actually recreated from actual photo/film references. From a technical standpoint I was most impressed with how many women played important parts in the production of the film (producers, director of photography (cameraman!), casting, costume design, several unit directors, and more - that impresses me!

2 Likes

H and I watched the new Jurassic World movie and the Elvis movie over the weekend. Both movies were entertaining while trying to beat the heat.

1 Like

No, they pretty much all suck.

We just watched a movie from 2018 called Upgrade and liked it very much. It’s a Blumhouse movie, but not a horror film.

“Floored” is free on youtube now. Such a great movie for both young adults and older adults about continuously adapting to one’s ever-changing, yet historically repeating, environment.

Here’s the youtube link. A great, sometimes irreverent watch.

For folks with Netflix

1 Like

Last night we watched the movie Moonfall on HBOMAX. It was very predictable and some of the acting was so so, but it kept us entertained on a Sunday night.

5 Likes

I enjoyed Elvis. My 21-yr old son watched it earlier and said he really liked it. He said he remembered us taking him to Graceland when we were in Memphis when he was an early teen but now he had context about who and why (vs just some place his parents dragged him because they wanted to see it.)

2 Likes

I also liked Elvis a lot! Really creative filmmaking.

I had to stop when he got to the Vegas years though - knew the sad parts that were coming and didn’t want to see!

We liked Elvis a lot, but I had a similar reaction. I knew what was going to happen, but once it was done I was just sort of depressed for the rest of the day.

We saw The Woman King yesterday and found it to be outstanding. Viola Davis is, as always, absolutely incredible and all of the other actresses were as well. My jaw literally dropped a couple of times.

7 Likes

Highly recommend Flight/Risk documentary available on Amazon Prime.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flight_risk

2 Likes