Seen any good movies lately?

I just saw “Luckiest Girl Alive”. It was ok. The acting felt forced and the dialogue leaden, but it finally got going and was dramatic. I don’t think Mila Kunis will win any acting awards for this one, but I’m glad I saw it in a theatre.

We streamed Host last night- it’s a recent (2020) horror movie and was really well done. I read it had a budget of only $35,000, and it is only 56 mins long, but it was effectively creepy and very entertaining.

I went to the movie theater for the first time since 2019 with two friends. It seemed strange to be back in a movie theater—there were only four other people in the theater. The movie we saw was “Emily the Criminal.” I mostly enjoyed it but it was dark. The film star Aubrey Plaza is an excellent actress—the film focuses on a young women with huge college debt who can’t pay it off; in desperation she turns to credit card scamming to make money.

We watched Miss Congeniality on Netflix again (going off at the end of October). There were parts at the beginning that I did not remember. It ages well. This is really is one of my favorite comedies. The acting and writing! I plan on watched Miss Congeniality 2 soon.

2 Likes

Our weekend movie this past Saturday night was Last Seen Alive (Netflix) with Gerard Butler. We thought it wasn’t very good and could hardly wait for it to end!

1 Like

We didn’t find any movies of interest tonight. But we sure did enjoy this…

2 Likes

We went to the movie theater to see Smile this evening, and I personally found it scarier than any other recent (last decade at least) movie that I’ve seen. Sosie Bacon is a very convincing actress.

2 Likes

Lots of advertising and hype (SNL and talk show appearances) for Banshees of Inishearen (sp?), the Brendan Gleeson/Colin Farrell movie. Looks hecka-Irish, for those who like that kind of film (we do!)

2 Likes

I watched “Elvis” on a plane and it was strangely moving. I was never a fan though I did love some of his songs like “Suspicious Minds” but I did enjoy seeing this bio pic. Austin Butler did an outstanding job, IMO, as of course, did Tom Hanks.

9 Likes

I watched “Elvis” on a plane recently too. I was glad I got the chance to see it, but felt like seeing it on a plane detracted from the music. I thought Tom Hanks accent was beyond weird.

1 Like

The Elvis movie was a surprise hit for us - except I found Tom
Hanks distracting in the part. Guess you need a big name to get a movie made, but it seemed odd casting. I like him as an actor and this is the first time I doubted his casting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried watching Thor. It belongs on the Hallmark Channel.

3 Likes

I saw “Tar” (mostly because I like Cate Blanchett). It was ambitious but confusing. And a lot of scenes were set in the same locations. I can’t recall the last time I noticed that in a movie.

1 Like

I often find Tom Hanks distracting. I always think of him as Tom Hanks the actor and not the character he is playing.

4 Likes

First trip to the movie theater since February, 2020 yesterday. Friend and I saw afternoon showing of Ticket to Paradise. Not too many people there and now that I’ve moved to Nashville, I get to go where they have the recliner seats with footrests - delightful! Movie was cute and enjoyable, largely due to George Clooney and Julia Roberts as opposed to riveting story. Great set of previews - NYT movie on #MeToo, Armageddon Time, the new Avatar, A Man Called Otto and The Fabelmans. I would love to see several of these. Also saw preview for Brad Pitt movie that is a hard pass for me. For the most part, felt like return to normal.

9 Likes

We saw Ticket to Paradise on Tuesday ($5.50 tickets all day). It was fun, not a film that will change my life but very amusing. We saw it at the small (4 screen ) theater we can walk to. It recently reopened and has the nice reclining seats.

6 Likes

We went to a matinee of Black Adam yesterday. I really enjoyed it. Fun movie. Lots of good lessons aimed at kids.

Last night we watched Beast on Peacock. Had I paid full price movie tickets for it, I would have been disappointed. But for free at home, it was an enjoyable 1:30.

I’ve seen Black Adam, Smile, and Ticket to Paradise. All were enjoyable. Smile was the scariest horror movie I’ve seen in a while.

2 Likes

Many thanks for those of you who recommended Ticket to Paradise! H and I went and watched it for a date this afternoon - perfect movie for a date for us. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

The preview for A Man Called Otto has us thinking that will be our next “date afternoon” movie once it comes out.

7 Likes

Just caught The Lost City for free on Amazon Prime. It was amusing and watchable, albeit no Romancing the Stone.

3 Likes