Seen any good movies lately?

I just watched the two Enola Holmes movies on Netflix. Lots of fun, Helena Bonham Carter was delightful, and Henry Cavill as always quite easy on the eyes.

8 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Have a good weekend ;).

1 Like

We saw The Menu this morning and found it to be a delightfully dark comedy.

3 Likes

Henry Cavill first caught my eye many, many moons ago when he was in The Tudors. I had to look at the cast names to see who this man was!

2 Likes

Not recent,
but I just really enjoyed “Army of Thieves” (released 2021).

Great for my left-brain/puzzle-loving, with the visuals of the safe components falling into place

A friend recommended Luckiest Girl Alive staring Mila Kunis (Netflix) - I didn’t look it up, and almost didn’t watch all the way through, but I’m glad I did. She’s a very good actress. I was especially impressed that they cast a second actress to play her role at a younger age. She (Chiara Aurelia) is also very good. I actually thought it was based on a true story until the credits rolled - it’s based on a novel.

I do recommend it.

1 Like

Saw the 2nd Enola Holmes film and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just came back from Armaggedon Times and it was a superb film. It’s a coming of age story, certainly (partly?) autobiographical, from the point of view of an 11 year old boy growing up in Queens. It takes place in early September to early November 1980, hence the title (it comes from a Reagan campaign speech). BTW the 80s are totally not glamourized: the bigotry, expectations that discipline means hitting kids, overcrowded schools where rote learning reigns, families on a budget wearing sensible clothes. No neon pink leotards (yet)! But the story and family life are sweet and quite realistic, it’s NOT a gloomy film at all - it’s partly comedy partly drama.
Paul is growing up in a Jewish family that wants to make sure he doesn’t suffer from discrimination and has all opportunities; Paul, on the other hand, couldn’t care less: his goal is to be a famous artist who signs his works (the scene when they visit the Guggenheim and Paul is mesmerized by Kandisky’s paintings then imagines himself just as famous, feels very “true” to an artistic child’s view), and make friends by making the class laugh at the expense of his uninspiring teacher at PS173. A serious theme running through the film is Paul discovering privilege and discrimination, with a heartbreaking consequence. His grandpa, played by Anthony Hopkins, is just wonderful.
Highly recommend!

3 Likes

We watched “Where the Crawdads Sing” (Netflix). I had enjoyed the book a few years ago but made sure to make no comments that would ruin it for my husband. As is usually the case, the movie didn’t have all the detail of the book. But I think it captured the story well.

4 Likes

Has anyone seen “Disenchanted” on Disney Plus? I liked the original “Enchanted” with Amy Adams.

Mr. B and I watched it the other night. While we thought it did not rise to the level of the original Enchanted, it had its own charm and was quite enjoyable. Not going to spill any spoilers, but we thought that the female cast was awesome. Dudes, OTOH, were quite bland.

Our local paper’s film critic gave it 3 stars out of 4.

1 Like

I watched The Noel Diary on Netflix yesterday. It was sweet and sentimental, a good snuggle with my sofa and Christmas tree after the Thanksgiving meal. Lovers of Parenthood will be glad to see Bonnie Bedelia and Justin Hartley from This Is Us is the lead character.

2 Likes

We watched “See How They Run” this weekend. You should have seen The Mousetrap before watching this for the best experience. Cute caper movie, clever. Reminded me of “Knives Out” a bit.

2 Likes

We watched See How They Run last night and enjoyed it. H took me to see The Mousetrap in London in 1989!

1 Like

We watched the new Christmas story christmas a few nights ago. Of course, it will never replace the original, but it was sweet and fun to see some of the people grown up.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m one of the few that just does not enjoy the original. I found the new one to be adorable though, and my husband who loves the original found it charming as well.

1 Like

Due to your post, DH and I just watched it. We liked it! Ava looks a lot like our Aussie but she has a tail and our dog doesn’t. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We also watched The Noel Diary (Netflix) last night. I liked it. Hubby tolerated it … since usually he gets to pick our show or movie. It was interesting watching actors from This is Us (Justin Hartley) and Parenthood (Bonnie Bedelia) together.

4 Likes

Just watched Good Luck to you, Leo Grande. Emma Thompson is fabulous as the uptight woman who has never had an orgasm. (But that’s not on her list!) Daryl McCormack’s more the straight man, but very easy on the eyes. There’s a lot of sex, but it’s also very sweet and very funny.

2 Likes

Watched the “new” Christmas Story. One and done. Tried too hard and was missing the humor of the original.