Seen any good movies lately?

Plenty of pay per view options showing up in my Google search! :slight_smile: Movie night this weekend! :+1:

3 Likes

^^Just watched it on Prime. Oh wow. One of the best Tom Hanks’s movies. :heart::heart:

(Only cost is $3.70 because of all the Prime credits I’ve amassed by letting them deliver my crap a week later instead of the next day)

6 Likes

That was our thoughts too. Did you know Tom Hank’s son Tucker played young Otto?

2 Likes

Speaking of Tom Hanks’s sons, we recently watched “A Friend of the Family” on Peacock. It’s a 9 part true crime series based on the story of Jan Broberg who was kidnapped twice by the same man, a friend of the family who turned out to be a predator. Colin Hanks played her dad and Anna Paquin her mom, but it was Jake Lacy as the predator who was just outstanding as a creepy, manipulative person. There’s a Netflix documentary about it too, but we didn’t watch that. Once we started watching it was hard to resist googling the story to see what happens, but we resisted.

We also just watched The Fablemans. We rented it from DirectTV for $5.99 and I think it’s available from other streaming platforms as well. Very good and worth watching.

2 Likes

We watched the Banshees of Inisherin last night. I found it dark and disturbing, but I’m glad I watched. The acting was superb–I’d vote to give Colin Farrell the Best Actor award this year. On a lighter note, it certainly makes one want to visit Ireland and the island where they filmed the movie.

4 Likes

I missed the credits in the beginning of the movie because I was literally herding cats who decided to duke it out over the favorite cozy, but I wondered about how well the young man resembled Hanks. :slight_smile:

Speaking of cats, the animatronics used in the movie were kinda fake. :laughing:

2 Likes

I thought the cat was real…

https://www.justjared.com/2023/01/09/tom-hanks-poses-with-smeagol-the-cat-at-a-man-called-otto-screening-in-nyc/

1 Like

I loved the real cat!! :heart: Great acting! :black_cat: The scenes where the fake cats were used… were funny but the real cat owners can easily tell no cats were harmed during the filming! :laughing:

2 Likes

This mirrors my thoughts exactly. I’ve never been a fan of Colin’s, but I thought his performance was amazing.

FYI: the original Swedish movie A man called Ove with English subtitles is available for free to Prime subscribers. No spoilers… just wanted to say that we loved both versions.

5 Likes

Everything, everywhere……not a fan of this movie

1 Like

Tonight we enjoyed watching Mrs Harris Goes to Paris. It is a sweet, easy watching film, with bonus of Paris scenery and lots of Dior dresses. (Watch for an actor familiar from Emily in Paris.)

10 Likes

Totally agree on Mrs. Harris. It’s definitely a feel-good film.

3 Likes

Oh thank you for the recommendation! I’m sick of zombies, war, terror, depressing stuff at the moment. Added to my “to watch” list. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, on Mrs. Harris - watched it recently and enjoyed it.

6 Likes

I was disappointed in Mrs. Harris. Saw it last year ( not in a theater but on a pretty big home TV).

I expected more of a plot and more fashion.

I love Mrs. Maisel just for the fashion - and everything fits her perfectly so no need for fittings.

4 Likes

We just streamed Tar (rented from DirectTV). I thought it was fascinating. I’d actually go back and watch it again if I could do so for free, because I feel like I missed a lot the first time through.

1 Like

I loved Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris and mentioned it on this thread a couple of months ago. Highly recommend. But, of course, everybody is different and not everybody’s going to love it!

6 Likes

I saw trailers for this movie, it reminded me so much of the book A Man Called Ove” which I loved, duh moment for me, I just hate to pay (no credits, I really need to be less impatient with my Amazon orders). My sister recommended the book after our mom died, Ove sounded so much like our dad.

4 Likes

I have it on hold at my library. It’ll probably be available on a streaming service I already have by the time I get to the top of the list, but either way, I have more than enough to watch in the meantime. I did rewatch the original a few days ago.

1 Like