Seen any good movies lately?

The Swedish movie based on the book is free to Prime members! :slight_smile: It was also excellent. Slightly different focus, more on Ove’s past than his present interactions with his neighbors. But very, very good.

It is not dubbed though. Just subtitles.

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Called-Ove-Rolf-Lassgård/dp/B07P62J18T

4 Likes

Thanks to these responses I’m going to watch the original (which I didn’t know about). I don’t mind subtitles as long as I’m watching on my iPad with my readers.

1 Like

We just watched the original tonight - H, myself, youngest son, and DIL. We all loved A Man Called Otto much better. They used the original as a base and improved on it a bit in many ways (adding humor, strengthening relationships, etc), plus we all think Tom Hanks just did a superb job - other actors in Otto too TBH. Ove put more of his (specific) background in, but that really wasn’t necessary. I did like the closing scene in Ove where he and Sonja reunited on the train. That should have been in Otto too, but that’s all we came up with to make Otto better.

We’re glad we saw it, but Otto we’d watch multiple times sharing it or as a whim hit us. Ove was once and done for us.

3 Likes

Great summary. :slight_smile: We think this is one of those movies worth buying on whatever preferred platform so it could be watched many times. Like Apollo 13, Ford v Ferrari, O Brother… and some others.

3 Likes

We watched Otto tonight and really loved it.

3 Likes

We watched Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. I’d love to have a long list of movies like this to go through. I’m getting ready for bed and still smiling about this one. Thanks again, CC!

7 Likes

ChoatieMom, I don’t have a long list prepared but here are two excellent feel-good movies: The Hunt for the Wilderpeople and Their Finest. They will send you to bed smiling.

4 Likes

I will check those out, @Singswimsew. Thanks!

I love Hunt for the Wilderpeople! What a lovely film.

I was so sad to read today that Sam Neil has blood cancer.

1 Like

I totally forgot about Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

I might’ve done a bad mom thing, my 20 year old is flying to the DR today, called last night for the Amazon prime password, and asked for suggestions to download for the plane to watch with her friend. I scrolled and remembered how funny I thought Fleabag was. I decided to start to watch it again, apparently not the best choice for a crowded plane. I hope she chose something else, or no one glances at her screen.

@Bromfield2 - and everyone else best supporting actor. Amazing performances all the way round. That one stuck with me!

1 Like

After taking Thing #1 to the Air and Space Museum and annex, I finally convinced him to watch The Right Stuff with me. It was worth it just to have him point out the planes and spacecraft in the movie that he saw a few days ago in the museums.

Kid bonding aside, it is a great movie where many great actors - Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Barbara Hershey, Dennis Quaid, etc. - made their bones. The book is even better.

10 Likes

Loved Aftersun. Beautifully made and acted. Much too ambiguous to be a blockbuster, but very real - so everything from funny to moving. Story of a divorced (and depressed) dad and his 11 year old daughter on vacation in Turkey as remembered by the daughter as an adult. Believe it’s Scottish.

3 Likes

Adding that one to my list, @gardenstategal. DH spent nine months on a project in Istanbul and will watch any story set in Turkey. The trailer hooked me immediately. Thanks.

Keep these coming. We like to end our evenings feeling uplifted.

1 Like

You might like Faraway (it’s on Netflix). The plots revolves around a woman who inherits a home in Croatia (her mother immigrated from Croatia to Germany and secretly purchased a home there). The main character runs away to Croatia after she discovers her husband has been unfaithful. The movie is filmed on two Croatian islands (one where my father was born), so I really enjoyed the film for that reason. That being said, it’s otherwise a delightful film.

5 Likes

Thank you for reminding about the movie! We recently watched and really liked the 2020 TV series, but I have not watched the movie. Added to the watchlist.

1 Like

Definitely watch it! I don’t know that it’s uplifting, but it’s flawless in what it captures. Paul Mescal plays the dad and had an Oscar nomination for best supporting actor. The girl was fabulous.

2 Likes

Oh my gosh we just loved Mrs. Harris. What a sweet movie.

4 Likes

We just watched Their Finest, so enjoyable. We plan to watch Wilderpeople tomorrow. DH’s opinion of CC has risen several notches.

3 Likes