Seen any good movies lately?

Is anyone planning on seeing the Barbie movie? I know for a fact that H and S would rather eat sandpaper then see the Barbie movie… I told H that if it makes him feel better, Will Ferrell is in it. The trailer just came out:

4 Likes

It is a Greta Gerwig movie! I’m in!

/Parent of a kid who pooled her Barbies with our neighbors’ to play in our bonus room. She - at the ripe age of 10 - figured out how to do stop motion filming using our Sony camcorder, and the girls made some movies about Barbies kicking Kens’ butts. :laughing:

YES!

H doesn’t want to go, but D likely will. If not I will go alone.

2 Likes

I didn’t like Barbies when I was a youngster, so no, not even remotely interested.

My grandmother was pretty upset one Christmas that she bought my sister and I dolls and they stayed in their boxes while we played with model horses and our other toys. Our parents had to take us aside and bribe us to get us to take the dolls out so she would be happy. We didn’t even want to be bribed TBH. She never got us dolls again thereafter. I have no idea what happened to the ones she bought us.

I still have my Barbie , her case, some original clothes. Also have the Barbie Game (I liked Poindexter!). But, I ended up having 2 boys! No granddaughters yet but you never know. I’d like to see the Barbie movie but not sure I’d pay to see it in the theater.

3 Likes

Who cares about Barbie. It’s got Ryan Gosling!

My two big cases of Barbie stuff are full of clothes had sewn by my grandmother (who said afterward that she’d much rather make a full size dress). My sister and I think we should keep it all, but not sure anybody will ever play with it.

3 Likes

In addition to some original Barbie clothes, I also have lots of hand sewn clothes that a neighbor made for my mother to give to me.

2 Likes

Who cares about Ryan Gosling, it’s got Simu Liu!

Who cares about any of them, it’s got Ncuti Gatwa! I know I can’t be the only Whovian in this thread. Ha!

1 Like

OMG Poindexter! That’s a blast from the past!

Of course he probably went on to great success and is a billionaire techie right now…

3 Likes

On the plane this week, I watched ‘Till’ (I cried my eyes out). I’d seen the simulated casket at the Smithsonian several years ago. Not being American, I was unfamiliar with the story - I found the casket (and the story) profoundly moving; since then, I’ve learned a lot about Emmett Till and the American Civil Rights heroes. Wherever I go now, I try to learn a little more.

3 Likes

Just finished Tetris on Apple TV+. It was fun and I always like Taron Egerton. I’m sure it takes some liberties with the truth, but I had no idea about the backstory behind Tetris and the involvement of Robert Maxwell. Great cast.

2 Likes

I recently rewatched The Land of Steady Habits on Netflix because I forgot I’d already seen it. I just love a good drama. Ben Mendelsohn and Edie Falco are superb. This Is Where I Leave You is another favorite also playing on Netflix right now. Fantastic ensemble cast that includes Jane Fonda, Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, and Adam Driver.

DH and I started The Land of Steady Habits last night. We both found it drab and depressing. DH bailed on it. I slogged through, hoping for it to improve but didn’t think it did. The characters aren’t very likable. Everybody’s tastes vary, I guess!

Indeed. That’s the wonderful thing about life; we don’t all have to like the same things.

3 Likes

Exactly my thoughts about Everything, Everywhere…I stuck with it for 30m, then turned it off

2 Likes

Has anyone watched The Glass Onion? Worth watching or not . . .

4 Likes

I enjoyed Knives Out, but didn’t love it and felt much the same way about Glass Onion. Still hate Daniel Craig’s accent. It reminded me a lot of old Agatha Christie movies, which I also don’t love.

We really liked Knives Out. Glass Onion was good, but not as good. And I did not care for the ending. But I’d say it’s worth watching for free or cheap.

4 Likes