Seen any good movies lately?

Judy Blume Forever…so good! :gift_heart:

Now I want to read every one of her books!

3 Likes

Monmouth county, service stop dedicated to Judy Blume,
Other stops dedicated to Jon Bon Jovi, and Frank Sinatra, surprised Bruce didn’t get the Monmouth county named after him.

4 Likes

We saw Champions on Peacock last night with Woody Harrelson. He is a talented, but with a terrible personality, basketball coach who gets “stuck” coaching a team of intellectually challenged adults. It’s quite predictable, but very sweet and cute. woody Harrelson and the leading female have a great rapport. Their banter is very fun. We enjoyed it.

1 Like

Saw Living with Bill Nighy. Liked it very much. I like him in everything tbh.

1 Like

Really liked All Quiet on the Western Front. We’re going to France soon and will see some WW1 battlefields, so it was very relevant. Truly brings home what a waste of lives that war was. Interesting and well done.

Another amazing WW1 movie is, “They Shall Not Grow Old.” Wow, one of Peter Jackson’s finest. All true, movie made with 100+ year old footage that they enhanced with color. These are the real soldiers in the trenches. Children, so many less than 18. You hear the real voices, see the real bodies, horrifying, but it’s like you are there, no simulation, no actors.

3 Likes

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread in part because until this week I hadn’t been in a theater in more than five years, but I am jumping on to highly recommend the Margaret movie. I didn’t read the book until last month because I wanted to have read it before we saw the movie, and I loved both. We are related to a principal on the movie so felt compelled to support it and am so glad we did.

In other news, in the time we’ve stayed away from the theaters, we have qualified for a senior discount. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

Evidently The Boss declined the offer of a rest stop.

3 Likes

I loved The Green Book, but then I am a huge fan of Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali.

7 Likes

While watching The Green Book, my husband was pretty surprised when I told him the lead actor was Viggo (who he knew better than I did).

2 Likes

And if one is a Viggo Mortensen fan, don’t remember if I said it here, but Captain Fantastic really is an exceptional, interesting movie, and he is one heck of an actor. Though both me and my sister were both a little traumatized, getting flashbacks of our childhood and being reminded of our everything to it’s extreme father!:see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Captain Fantastic was an interesting movie. Ditto for somewhat similar Leave No Trace.

2 Likes

Same - based on recs here I watched Captain Fantastic and it was amazing! Viggo Mortensen is magnetic onscreen and the topic was so interesting! Also enjoyed Leave No Trace.

3 Likes

Leave No Trace is supposedly one of the few movies on Rotten Tomatoes rating site with 100% approval. Now that may be because it’s the kind of movie that nobody hates (but not many people love either). Or it may be that nobody wants to break the winning streak with a negative review.

2 Likes

I’ve watched Leave No Trace many times. There’s something about it that pulls me in and leaves me thinking about its themes long after it’s over. It’s definitely on my current top ten list.

6 Likes

Finally watched A Man Called Otto (Netflix). Like The Man Called Ove movie … not quite as rich as the original book. Nonetheless I really liked it.

9 Likes

Ds2 told me that if I watched this he could guarantee that I would cry five times. Not exactly making me want to see it.

1 Like

We saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 last night. I really enjoyed it, as I did the previous two chapters.

2 Likes

I enjoyed it, although I did like the original version more.

Few movie adaptations are.

4 Likes

It’s worth it. Even my (adult) kids would say it’s worth it. There’s a lot more humor in Otto than Ove which is a big part of why we preferred Otto.

3 Likes

Yea, you will probably cry a bit. But I highly recommend the Otto/Ove movies (and/or the Ove book). Admittedly it can be a bit tougher if you have elderly friends/family…. but heartwarming too.

2 Likes