Seen any good movies lately?

The most memorable scene to me in Scent of a Woman is the one between Al Pacino and a young Chris O’Donnell. “I’m in the dark here.” Outstanding performances by both of them in that scene.

Ok, Scent of a Woman is now on my movie Watchlist :wink: I do remember that husband and I both really liked it way back when.

1 Like

I lived in Da Burgh for four years in the 1980s. Sadly, The Original Hot Dog (aka Dirty Os) in Oakland, and Chiodos are no more.

2 Likes

Air was surprisingly engrossing. I agree that the soundtrack was terrific, but then I’m old. The best scenes in the movie were Matt Damon and Viola Davis one-on-one.

7 Likes

Been to both. Chiodo’s in particular many, many times over the years. Mystery sandwich. One of Chiodo’s signs is now in a restaurant/bar and grill in Shadyside, Franks. Chiodo’s was torn down and the site now has a Walgreens on it! I miss it when I still visit . It’s where we hung out with friends the night before our wedding!

1 Like

Sad, but true. Some friends from undergrad briefly contemplated buying the bar from Joe Chiodo, but they wisely demurred. Iron and Steel - enough said.

1 Like

Joe was a character. He once got my brother in law somehow out of a parking ticket! My understanding was the building would have taken tons of money to renovate and get it up to code for any potential buyer. Lots of good memories there. There is actually lots of newer development very near there, The Waterfront, lots of shops and restaurants.

Max’s Allegheny Tavern is still around. Great movie and was happy to see it in A Man called Otto. Will be in Pittsburgh soon and we may end up there, for old time’s sake!

Agree! We finally got to watch Air last weekend and liked it! The soundtrack was fantastic.

6 Likes

We tried to watch Air but somehow could find only a version in Portuguese! Ha. It gave no other language options.

We saw Air (in English) on Amazon Prime.

That’s what we were on. I guess we’ll try again.

2 Likes

Somehow Darling Husband got it stuck in Portuguese. It wasn’t easy figuring out how to change it back but I got the prize.

8 Likes

@sevmom and @JackH2021 and anyone else with ties to “da 'burgh” – you might enjoy Dear Zoe.

1 Like

Wonder Boys with Michael Douglas was also filmed in Pittsburgh. I really like that movie.

2 Likes

And Matt’s speech in the boardroom

I did have to go to dictionary.com to look up some very strange words. Like “tape deck” and “car phone.” :rofl:

Agreed. I almost disregarded the anachronisms, like “Money for Nothing” and “All I Need Is a Miracle” were released in 1985, and the film was set in 1984

But overall, a very enjoyable movie.

We thought Nomadland was outstanding.

We just watched The Green Mile. We had not seen that before and are watching Tom Hanks movies. Very powerful. We’ve seen many but from Wikipedia, I see that there are many we missed.

I graduated from college in 1984. The music took me right back to my senior year. I was a real party animal then, ha. It’s a myth that engineering students are all work and no play.

Thanks for AIR, recommendation, husband and I enjoyed it, not many films we watch together.

4 Likes

If you’re watching Tom Hanks movies, definitely Saving Private Ryan and Bridge of Spies are ones to watch, but Apollo 13 is my favorite.

4 Likes

Saw The Accountant last night (Amazon Prime). It was OK, but far fetched story line and sometimes confusing to follow. But it certainly was different from the usual crime mysteries.

3 Likes