Seen any good movies lately?

I watched Set It Up last weekend. I thought it was cute and worth the time, particularly given that I didn’t have to buy a movie ticket and popcorn:) I agree that this genre has been a bit neglected in recent years.

I finally got around to seeing American Animals last night. I found it entertaining. (It was mentioned on this thread back in June) The movie was made in this area and most of the college scenes including the library were filmed at nearby Davidson College. I worked for a week as an extra and you can see me very fleetingly a couple of times (back of my head). My parked car got more screen time than I did.

@JHS, watched Set it Up and now of course I’m wondering what the tag lines were. I was really surprised they didn’t quote Anne Lamotte directly about lousy first drafts. (Except use a ruder word for lousy.) Thanks for the recommendation!

Saw the new Whitney Houston documentary today. She was under a lot of pressure and had a lot of leeches sucking the life out of her. Her daughter was the biggest casualty of the dysfunction, though.

Very sad tale…

Wow! I just saw the film Three Identical Strangers (documentary) - I’d love to talk about it…if you’ve seen it.

We just saw RBG and highly recommend it!! I’m going back for a second time with my sons. I have only seen a couple of movies more than once in my life, so that’s saying something. The importance of a supportive partner to the life of a working professional (as evidenced in spades by RBG’s late husband) is just one of the movie’s many inspirations.

@Nrdsb4 I also saw the Whitney Houston documentary and feel like her daughter was an unfortunate casualty of dysfunction. I can’t help but feel that this movie further exploits Whitney’s pain.

Did those of you who have watched the Whitney Houston doc learn much new? It’s such a depressing story so not sure if I want to see it having heard it several times. I kind of feel like I should let the poor women RIP at this point.

@JustaMom
The three identical strangers is not showing here yet, but I really want to watch it!

@doschicos, there was one big revelation, and there were a few other things I didn’t know about in it. There were interviews with family members that I found interesting. There was footage of her singing that I’d never seen before, which was actually what I was hoping to see.

I can’t really speak to whether or not anyone should go. It’s sad, but I don’t regret seeing it.

D and I saw the Jurassic movie yesterday afternoon. We were the only people in the theater at the start of our area’s packed summer tourist season… very odd! The film was totally ridiculous from beginning to end— and we thoroughly enjoyed it! Clearly, based on the ending, there will be more installments. We agreed that the original Jurassic Park film was our favorite. At least this one (unlike the last one) didn’t have the female lead running away from the creatures while wearing stilettos. I did feel a pang of sadness when the brontosaurus at the dock saw the boat leaving, though. Ridiculous as it was, that kind of thing always gets me. :frowning:
We saw a trailer for an upcoming film called “Leave No Trace”, and really want to see that one.

I watched “Phantom Thread” on DVD last night. I found it both engrossing and disturbing. My sister, who saw it in a theater several months ago, and I agree that Daniel Day-Lewis’ performance was wonderful and that he made the movie worth sticking with to the end.

Went to watch the new “antman” movie, silly fun! Good movie to just relax and don’t think much. Lol

Went to watch Incredibles 2. Reliving childhood!

Antman was good also!

DH and I watched the first Ant-Man on TV a couple of days ago. Very enjoyable and no issues for DH, whose only knowledge of the Marvel Universe is the first Iron Man. I picked up on the few references to other movies but they didn’t confuse DH. I don’t think I can take him to Infinity Wars, though…

TAG was really funny and held my attention the whole movie. Great for date night, two thumbs up!

Saw a really cool, original Icelandic film titled “Woman at war” . Very thought-provoking but easy to follow. They made a point with their running gag, too, and at the end you start thinking, who’s selfish, who’s generous…till the very last scene that proves the broader point made (regardless of your thoughts on the means used.)

I saw Incredibles 2 today also. Not my usual thing at all, but good fun.

As H and I stared at the RedBox options, I said I had heard that I, Tonya was good. I did not tell him I had “heard” it on this thread. We both enjoyed it.