Seen any good movies lately?

I was curious about Three Identical Strangers a few weeks ago, before it opened by me. So I read a long article on them and feel that I’ve spoiled it for myself since I know what happened.

I thought Ant-Man was a fun movie. Evangeline Lilly is terrific.

We finally got around to seeing I Can Only Imagine. It’s definitely a Christian setting movie (as the song is), but wow! What a powerful story between an abusive home and healing - definitely worth being made into a movie even if it won’t win any year end awards, etc. I can see it appealing to oodles of people with or without belonging to the Christian faith.

It also shows once again that those who “Made It” from poverty and nothing had help along the way - even if not from home. Few folks truly make it on their own. A good part of breaking the cycle comes from humans helping other humans by believing in them and doing what they can - and whether that happens or not has a talent/ability part plus the right people actually being there at the right time. Anyone can write someone off. Some can see through the coal to spot the diamond that needs polishing.

I am hoping to see Boundaries this week. The previews look good.

An entertaining watch - a documentary called Chicken People. It’s like a real-life chicken version of Best in Show.

Not out yet - but Id like to see “Eighth Grade.” The trailer looks good but I’m afraid that re-living middle school might be a little traumatic…

“Marshall,” about Thurgood Marshall. It’s great.

3 Identical Strangers is fascinating.
The theater was packed for a 1030am showing…

@beerme - yes. I still haven’t fully processed it.

I saw Three Identical Strangers at a film festival in June. It was a decent documentary, but I wanted to know more—since I don’t want to spoil it for folks who might go see it, that’s all I will say.

For those who enjoyed RBG, we now have this to look forward to at Christmas:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28dHbIR_NB4

I don’t think that Set It Up should be mentioned in the same breath as The Philadelphia Story! It’s fairly cute, but IMHO at best a low-to-mid-level rom com.

I’m late to the party, but I recently watched The Last Jedi on Amazon. It was so boring I fell asleep. The new characters just can’t hold a candle to the originals.

I loved Chicken People! :slight_smile:

If, like me, you think Margot Robbie is pretty terrific and Simon Pegg completely terrific, you might enjoy “Terminal.” I kind of did. It’s a weird noir thriller, highly stylized in a way that could easily be off-putting. But Pegg is exceptionally good in an unusual part for him. There’s one twist that you’ll figure out inside of two minutes and another one that took me by surprise at the end, but I’m easily fooled.

Some actors make any movie better just by their presence, and I think Pegg is one.

I saw Blindspotting, which I think officially opens today. I’m not much of a movie person, but it was very well done.

I’m a Simon Pegg fan too.

@2VU0609 - thank you for posting that link! I am not a movie person, but I am looking forward to that one.

Saw Mama Mia 2 tonight. Liked a lot, but not great. Offered up explanation of how three dads happened. Lily James and Amanda Seygfried have some surprisingly decent voices. Pierce, Colin still handsome…and Andy Garcia too!!! Movie was kind of running out of different ABBA songs. That said, the Dancing Queen, etc., almost had us get up and dance. And song near end brought the grapefruit in the throat. Great scenery (I want to go!). Cher was…Cher. I assume her plastic surgeon owns the island that movie was filmed on… :wink:

I’ve never particularly noticed Simon Pegg, but clearly I haven’t been paying attention. :slight_smile: Will have to look for Terminal.

I would start with what fans call the Cornetto Trilogy: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End. I saw the last one first because you can’t imagine what it takes to get me to see a zombie movie. These are spoofs of genre films (zombie, cop, and sci fi respectively). They fit nicely into the broad range of British humor and the relationships are funny and full of heart. Pegg co-wrote them.

I like him in actual genre films, too - he’s Scotty in the current Star Trek franchise and one of the Mission Impossible team.

Jumanji was actually quite fun. “Film stars don’t die in Liverpool,” was a strange biopic about a fading movie actress based on her young lover’s novel.