Seen any good movies lately?

Not much time to catch up on this thread but I 100% recommend the Mr. Rogers documentary, really touches your heart and makes you think again about what is so missing in today’s world. The RBG documentary is also really well-done, a remarkable woman.

Sorry to Bother you. It is a dark comedy with some social commentary (race and class) and sci fi elements.

@Lizardly I saw Sorry to Bother You a few weeks ago. That is great description of the movie. It is very different.

I saw Mamma Mia 2 with a friend this afternoon. I loved it. My friend and I agreed it was better than the first one. Lilly James and all the flashback cast are fabulous and the last song is very sweet and touching. I wasn’t expecting the ending and I couldn’t find a tissue, so just warning anyone else who is any easy crier.

Saw Eighth Grade last night. Boy did it stir up some (very) old stuff. I quite liked the film. I think it was well done and very realistic.

Equalizer 2 was entertaining but not as much as the first.

@JustaMom

I enjoyed the director’s interview on Fresh Air. I did NOT enjoy middle school (so many painful emotions and events), and I’ve been wondering if I’m brave enough to see the movie. After the interview, I’m leaning towards yes.

I saw the film Bag of Marbles (French) last night and it was excellent! Gripping story of two Jewish brothers sent off from Paris on their own before the Nazis could take them. Gripping story based on an autobiography, I think. The acting was amazing, especially the young protagonist. How can they find a kid that young who is so good?

It was beautifully filmed and quite haunting. Catch it if you can find it! I saw it at a Landmark theater.

@Midwest67 - middle school (and honestly, specifically 8th grade) was no walk in the park for me, this film really stirred much within. That said, it was incredibly well done, and pretty sensitively - I say see it.

Just saw Three Identical Strangers. It was riveting to me. I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone and I’d encourage you to watch it cold. Don’t read about it first.
DH (and me I guess ) thought there were some things that could have been explored or explained better, but I still thought it was fascinating and emotional if a bit dark or heavy.

I was never one to go to the movies but last September I jumped in and subscribed to Movie Pass. In 11 months I have seen so many wonderful movies that I wouldn’t have normally seen.
I knew from the start that Movie Pass was to good to be true but I’m still pretty sad to witness it in free fall now. I wish they would have increased the monthly price or limited the movies you could see before it ran out of funds.
I think I’m going to miss going to the movies.

I was outnumbered this weekend and ended up seeing the new Mission Impossible. Tom Cruise still looks great, and we were amazed to read that he performed all his own stunts (including flying a helicopter!).

I, too mourn Movie Pass.

We watched a new Netflix movie titled “Extinction” this weekend after I got one of those “you might enjoy this” emails. I was skeptical but it ended up being very good with a huge plot twist in the middle. Definitely very unexpected and very thought provoking.

I also enjoy trailers and my husband just doesn’t get why I want to get to the theater early. @3puppies- our favorite theater in town only sells reserved seats, either on-line or in person. All seats are reserved and it makes getting to the theater for a new release so much less stressful. The other theater in town does not do so.

In a moment of desperation yesterday I decided to try watching Twilight on Netflix. Looking for mindless entertainment. Got mindless, didn’t get entertainment. Ye gods.

We thought we’d go to early movie last Friday and then hop over for happy hour (appetizers/beer) at local watering hole. On the one hand, great idea, on the other hand we choose Tom Cruise movie. W described movie as painfully stupid. I think her description was too kind. We skipped happy hour, went straight home, had margaritas. Tequila was more effective than beer in dulling the memory of this awful film.

@Jugulator20 - there is a good reason the original series limited episodes to one hour as you can only drag those “not-so-impossible” stories out past one hour so many times and get away with it successfully. Since this new one was the top seller at the box office this weekend, they will keep making them until Tom physically can’t do the stunts anymore. He broke his leg filming this latest movie and just keeps on doing his own stunts.

Count me in on those who are covering their eyes watching MoviePass fall to its death.

Come on people! Where is the positivity??

In all seriousness, I think MoviePass will just start limiting the number of movies one can see per week/month. They have too much of a good thing (and business model and business connections) to let it die. Or at least I hope it doesn’t.

Just saw something online that said MoviePass will increase prices to $14.95 a month and limit first run movies.