Seen any good movies lately?

@doschicos Joy Luck Club

I saw Christopher Robin last night. Sweet and tender. Like others I was taken back to my D and me playing ‘Pooh sticks’ on the footbridge when we lived in the mountains. I loved that it was all classic Pooh. I liked it a lot.

Just saw BlackkKlansman by Spike Lee. It was powerful, moving, at times humorous, and very pertinent entertainment.

Cast was superb.

The story was relevant and exciting. Based on a real person’s memoir–the first African American police officer in Colorado Springs who went undercover and ended up being in David Duke’s confidences.

Also just saw BlackkKlansman today. Powerful. I met David Duke in 1975 when he came to campus. My roommate was activities director and we liked to have speakers over to our house. We had him over and she also invited our black male friend to join us. That was interesting. Duke was good looking, young, well dressed, somewhat charismatic and also clearly a buffoon.

I saw the movie last night too – and it sounds like your experience with Duke was pretty much exactly as portrayed in the movie. Wonder if the real-life Duke’s interaction with your friend was consistent with your experience? Apparently that over-the-top scene with the polaroid photo shown in the movie also is something that happened IRL as well.

Good article here (but caution, it contains spoilers): https://slate.com/culture/2018/08/whats-fact-and-whats-fiction-in-blackkklansman.html

My D and I are excited about Crazy Rich Asians since we read all the books!

HBO - Believer - powerful documentary about Loveloud Festival in Utah for LbGtQ rights! Imagine Dragon lead singer Dan Reynolds is inspiring

Finally saw “Three Billboards…” on HBO. I really liked Frances McDormand, but I seriously disliked the movie itself, especially the ending. Really?

Another vote for Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. (Thank you, @2VU0609 , for calling my attention to it.) This is really a huge coup for Netflix. The director is Mike Newell, of Four Weddings and a Funeral and one of the Harry Potter movies, a top-rank guy. The cast is superlative, so much so that it’s maybe too much of a good thing. (I kept thinking, “Where have I seen that one before?”) Including Lily James, without whom it’s apparently not legal to make a film in 2018, on screen for almost every minute of the two-hour running time.

@Nrdsb4 - had to google sesquipedalian – nice SAT word there! I watched that movie (I love Tilda Swinton). It was indeed disturbing.

@scout59 - I was not crazy about Three Billboards either. I felt like it just relied on plot twists that had no organic momentum from the characters or plot threads. Plus the brief scene with the dead young woman didn’t make me exactly sorry she was gone (horrible as that sounds). Unlike Wind River where the young woman was someone I rooted for.

^lilly James was excellent in the movie and thanks to those who mentioned it above- good Rec

Another thank you for all the recs for The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! The best movie i’ve seen this year and I really enjoyed Lily James in this role.

Yes, Glad to hear that it is available on Netflix. Thanks! I’ve been to Guernsey on a British Isles cruise a few years ago. It’s a lovely, interesting place. I’m looking forward to seeing the movie.

I love Lily James. She is a friend of my D who lives in London and I have loved Lily since I saw her on stage, and, of course, her Downton Abbey days.

I definitely recommend BlackKlansman… really well done, takes liberties with the actual events to move the story along. Well acted and the scene with Harry Belafonte is incredibly moving as is the coda for the entire movie.

Here are a few not-new movies that I watched recently, both on DVD: “Japanese Story” (2003), with Toni Collette; and “Chinese Puzzle” (2013), with Romain Duris, Audrey Tautou, and Kelly Reilly. Both also “star” their locations, Australia and New York City, respectively.

BlackKlansman excellent casting…each role.
The music outstanding.
The script is crisp.
The humor biting.
Spike Lee has given the audience a relevant and chilling movie.
If this is your first Spike Lee movie… enjoy.

@beerme Would you rank it up there with Do The Right Thing, my favorite Spike Lee movie and one of my all-time favorite movies?

Do the Right Thing was like a bolt of lightening the first time you saw it…the now iconic characters … the tension, the script, the acting, you felt the uneasiness…so crisp…every time I see it, I find something I never noticed before…
BlackKlansman is good but cannot compare…

I looked up BlackKKlansman thinking we’d catch it next week for my birthday. However, my ears are still way too young to enjoy that much swearing, so we’ll be skipping it. I’m contemplating The Meg now - escapism fun vs what I had hoped would be an interesting semi-historical story.

I’ve accidentally been to enough movies with a bit of swearing to know I rarely like them. The Martian and Argo have been the only exceptions to date.

It’s possible we’ll remember to catch it on Netflix later.