Seen any good movies lately?

I actually don’t remember an excessive amount of swearing but I am not particularly sensitive to that. Some critics feel it is Spike Lee’s best i loved it . One minute i was laughing, the next minute I was crying People applauded at the end .

I am actually disappointed with Blackkklansman, we went to see it because it is a spike lee movie, but it felt like watching a movie that is full of “exclamation marks” while not digging deep into the issues. Why there are still KKKs around, why portray them so one-dimensionally? (yes their beliefs are hateful but do all people with hateful beliefs are nasty/ignorant/stupid? Then the problems we are facing today should be much easily solved.)
My favorite Lee’s movie is Crooklyn!

I just saw BlackkKlansman and I really loved it. I really appreciated the fact that while Spike Lee created an intense movie, he didn’t go overboard with the violence and added humor just when it was needed.

Is this a variation of the “very fine people on both sides”? Just my opinion, but anyone racist enough to join the KKK IS nasty/ignorant/stupid, or least one of those 3.

@Nrdsb4
No, it is not a variation of “fine people on both sides”, but rather a fact that there are people that we may find “normal/nice/decent” from the outside while a complete different kind of folks from in. Portraying KKKs like cardboard characters is an easy way out.

It’s a satire. Characters are exaggerated. There IS some suggestion that some of the KKK members had good jobs and possibly were living fairly normal lives when they weren’t busy putting on hoods and robes and burning crosses.

I loved Get Out last year, now Blackkklansman this year. Jordan Peele was involved in both, this time as one of the producers. I imagine this film is similarly headed for some Oscar nominations.

Get out is so much better imho. Satire works wonders there. Not so much in here.

Today is the opening for Crazy Rich Asians.

Avengers Infinity Wars finally made it to our On Demand so I can now stop avoiding spoilers about it. You really need to have seen a great many of the earlier Marvel movies to even have half a clue about what’s going on.

I am not a Spike Lee fan and I loved Blackkklansman. I walked out of the theatre both terrified and deflated, on so many levels. As the closing credits rolled, the theatre was silent…it was that powerful, IMO. @creekland, I don’t remember that much swearing either, but I am do not find that language jarring, especially in context. I did not find this a satire, or a caricature of any of the characters. In reading Stallworth’s accounts and hearing his interviews, I’d say that this was a pretty accurate (with the exception of the two storylines the producers acknowledge being added to the film) representation of the events that occurred in Colorado Springs at the time.

I think it has been described in different ways by reviewers- part satire, dramedy, crime drama,with some realism and political commentary as well. It’s a complex film. John David Washington and Adam Driver are wonderful. The whole cast is great, as is the music. Agree about how powerful the ending is. I cried, could hear others sniffling, many in stunned silence for 30 seconds or so, then applause.

If you liked “Get Out,” I highly recommend “Sorry to Bother You.”

Really want to watch “sorry to bother you” but most likely have missed it in theaters. Hubby/DS went to watch Blindspotting, and they liked it too.

Crazy Rich Asians…wow.
Over the top.
Stellar cast.
You’ll laugh, you’ll cry.

Thank you @beerme. Trying to get friends together for Friday.

The first showing was oversold and about 10 people sat on the floor instead of trading tickets for the next showing…
The crowd had great energy…a lot of fun…

I just went to see Crazy Rich Asians with D2. We laughed and cried. It was very good.
I read the book and enjoyed the movie just as much.
Make sure you have full stomach when you go see the movie, food scenes were pretty amazing.

So does the title mean “Crazy Rich” as in they are so rich the are crazy rich, or does it mean that that they are both rich and crazy? Maybe trying to make a joke that they are both?

I saw the trailer; it looks very entertaining.

Sorry to Bother You by the great rapper and activist Boots Riley is incredible. Inventive, fun, surprising, surreal, meaningful, eye-opening, thought-provoking, moving, stylish…and the soundtrack is the kind of groove that even Curtis Mayfield could get down with. What a movie. I can’t wait to see it again.

(And I’m reaaaalllly not a movie person–I see 1-2 movies a year, max.)

1 Like

I think Crazy Rich means they are very very rich, so rich, it is crazy.