Seen any good movies lately?

Puzzle
2 of my favorite actors Kelly MacDonald and Irrfan Khan
On the opposite spectrum of Crazy Rich Asians
Your local theater may not have it if it is full of summer blockbusters

Not showing at my town yet! But I also really like these two actors, love Kelly Macdonald in Gosford Park and boardwalk empire, wish she had a bigger role in Harry Potter! Lol. I just saw her in Goodbye Christopher Robin on TV. Khan is subliminal in The lunchbox! Thanks for the recommendation!

I’d seen a lackluster trailer for BlackkKlansman and didn’t expect to like it at all. So glad I went anyway… It was one of the best films I have seen in a very long time. And like so many others, the audience was just kind of stunned and silent at the end and then applauded.

We just watched Gaslight, the 1944 film from which we get the term “gaslighting”. It was nominated for 7 Academy awards; Ingrid Bergman won her first Oscar, for Best Actress. Angela Lansbury turned 18 while on set.

This film was well worth watching!

At the screening at the Cannes Film Festival , there was a 10 minute standing ovation for Blackkklansman- a powerful and moving experience for most. And these people have seen lots of films!

We just saw Crazy Rich Asians and my interpretation was more along the lines of “insane”. It wasn’t as funny as we had expected. It didn’t portray any wealthy Asians in a favorable manor, but it did make me want to visit Singapore.

@toledo Same here.

We went to see “sorry to bother you” and glad we got to see it before it is off the theater. To me, it uses surrealistic means to depict a dark reality, i am happily surprised by its progressive meanings, well worth a watch!

My D and I want to see Crazy Rich Asians since we read the books last summer when visiting family in Bermuda. I’ve been to Singapore once and would love to go again.

Just watched The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on Netflix… Lovely movie. Loved the ending and closing credits.

Crazy Rich Asians box office was $34 mil in the US. First romantic comedy movie to top the box office charts in 4 years. I have my tickets for a 12:55pm showing, can’t wait!

Thumbs up for Crazy Rich Asians! Love the featured city of Singapore as a backdrop to the movie. Standout actor was Awkwafina!

Love her. She was in Ocean’s 8.

D and I just saw Eighth Grade. Great film, phenomenal acting by the young star.

Crazy Rich Asians was a very well produced movie, I enjoyed the movie a lot. I liked having some of the Cantonese and Mandarin mixed in gave it more authenticity to the movie. As one of the previous posters mentioned, it made me laugh it made me cry, and it was over the top. As a former expat in Singapore 20+ years ago, showing the food scene at the Newton Circus hawker center brought back fond memories of delicious street food with the satay and chili crab. Awkwafina was brilliant in the movie, I agree. I’m so used to seeing Michelle Yeoh in a heroine capacity, it was a bit weird to watch her in a motherly role. Ken Jeong was out of place in the movie, no idea why he was even cast. They should have just cut his scene out. I even heard the kids talking to him in Korean which was out of place. Harry Shum Jr. from Glee fame had a cameo at the very end of the movie which leads me to believe a sequel is in the works.

I have some critique of CRA, but will wait til more have seen it.

after seeing CRA, here’s what to eat. Includes recipes.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/20/crazy-rich-asians-what-to-eat-after-you-see-the-movie/

Really enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians, much more than I expected. It was very well done.

Saw CRA…not my favorite genre, nevertheless, I found it silly and fun and charming. :slight_smile:

Saw Mama Mia Here we go again. Cute, fun, great scenery. Loved seeing Cher! Wish we saw more of her. At 72 she is still amazing!!

Wanted to see The Spy Who Dumped Me but nobody wanted to go with me. My son offered to go which was incredibly sweet of him since we assumed, “it was a chick flick.” I think he did it because he leaves for college in a couple of days and he was being nice to me. Well, yes, the movie was about two best friends who turned spy but it was also a shoot 'em up movie! Way too much so for me! I watched half the movie through my fingers while my son was pleasantly surprised the whole thing wasn’t too girlie!