Seen any good movies lately?

(@bookworm, Bags of Hope does this in a number of areas. Every year, when they interview on a local radio show, I shed a tear. This year, it was learning Kohl’s had donated 5500 blankets. Imagine that.)

I saw Widows. Afaiac, didn’t match the top ratings on Rotten Tomatoes. But Viola Davis is worth triple the price. I thought she was fabulous.

D and I went to see Boy Erased last night and it was very good. A little slow at times but powerful. As a side note, there are still 38 states that allow conversion therapy; here are the 12 that do not: Connecticut, California, Nevada, New Jersey, the District of Columbia, Oregon, Illinois, Vermont, New York, New Mexico, Rhode Island, and Washington. I was surprised that my very liberal state of MA is not on that list.

Actually, that list has grown in the past year, @NEPatsGirl. You can add MD and NH. Hopefully, more states will add protection in the coming years.

H and I saw Boy Erased on Thanksgiving. There was someone sitting in front of us who started sobbing at one point in the film. I’m assuming the story was a little too real for him. H is a pastor and serves in More Light congregations, and it hurts to see the hurt and damage done in the name of God.

I saw another good film last night, The Old Man and The Gun. Both Robert Redford and Sissy Spacek are so adept at being understated on film that they truly sucked me right in. The story is downright unbelievable…and yet it happened! I’ve heard that Redford intends to retire from acting, but I think he’s still got it, and would love to see more.

“UnErased: The History of Conversion Therapy in America:
https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=57019635&autoplay=1” if you have enjoyed/been moved by the movie “boy erased”, you may enjoy the podcast series about the conversion therapy!

I’ve never even heard of The Green Book so I will check that out!

I saw The Frontrunner yesterday and I know it’s been criticized as “talky” and “boring” but that’s exactly the kind of movie I like – and the cinematography is quite wonderful.

Just saw Widows. Very slow; several plot elements that were implausible; one big plot element left unresolved. Was hoping for a better movie. Viola Davis was great though.

Another vote for Green Book. I’m wondering if both Ali and Mortensen could get Best Actor nominations.

@Barbalot - I feel like that’s happened before, where 2 stars were up against one another for the same film.

ETI: It has, numerous times, the last in 1984, both F. Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce were nominated for their performances in “Amadeus.”…F. Murray Abraham took the award home.

Finally broke down and watched Shape in the Water last night because it was offered on the free HBO weekend. Yup, weird. Gave me the willies thinking the woman was being intimate with a water creature. Ewww.

I watched Love, Simon last night with D21. Really cute, teen-type movie. Along the lines of To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.

And have we ever heard from Hulce again?

According to IMDB, Tom Hulce hasn’t been in any films/TV since 2008. Maybe he’s been on stage? I really liked him as Mozart and saw him in The Normal Heart in London back when I was young in the mid-'80s.

Green Book is going to be on our list after looking it up due to this thread. Unfortunately it’s not playing anywhere around us yet. Seems rather odd, but perhaps it will be released to more theaters soon.

I just finished Blindspotting and it immediately jumped pretty high up my favorites list. Amazing.

Tom Hulce has a few connections to my hometown. One of his relatives (a grandparent?) lived there and so he visited sometimes when he was a child. And “Animal House,” in which he had a role, is allegedly based on one of the fraternity houses at the local university.

@lookingforward - Tom Hulce was intimately involved as a producer on Broadway for the hit Spring Awakening. My friend & I got to meet him as we bought tickets to sit on the stage as part of the classroom - those were our seats for the night. Amazing. He was very nice shaking everyone’s hand before the show.

Try “Damascus Cover” with Jonathan Rhys Meyers and John Hurt.

I saw Geen Book this past weekend. It was wonderful.