Seen any good movies lately?

This weekend we watched 3 wonderful movies: Bohemian Rhapsody (at the theater), About Time, and Love, Simon (both on Netflix). I highly recommend all 3!

@mompop, I don’t see Love, Simon on Netflix. Are you sure it’s there? Maybe it’s DVD only, not streaming.

@mompop
“About time” is such a beautiful movie, it made me cry. I truly enjoy the father/son duo Domhnall Gleeson and Bill Nighy! I adore Mr. Nighy!

I didn’t grow up with Queen’s music yet I really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody and totally loved Rami Malek’s performance. His Mr. Robot (esp. season 1) is one of the best TV shows out there, imho.

I loved the new HBO documentary “The Price of Everything,” about contemporary art, artists, creativity, art collectors, and money.

About Time is on my family’s top 10 list. Probably even top 5. Such a beautiful movie. Love all the main characters/actors.

Saw Green Book this afternoon and loved it!

I also love About Time, but haven’t watched it for several years. I now know what to watch when it rains on Saturday!

@conmama I only see Love, Simon streaming on HBO, if you happen to subscribe to that.

@conmama sorry… I checked with my D and she said it was on HBO go. She set it up for me and I assumed it was Netflix.

I don’t have HBO, thanks for letting me know.

Saw “Bohemian Rhapsody” last month and thought it was the best movie I’d seen in years. It seems like every movie the critics hate, I love. And vice-versa.

Saw “Overlord” a few weeks ago. An OK movie. Not great. Good start and ending, but the middle of the movie seemed awfully slow.

Green Book isn’t playing around here next week either (sigh). I wonder when it’s going to wide release. We have a 16 screen theater that usually gets the loved movies when they open, so this is really surprising me.

Oh, yeah. A lot of us on CC like Nighy so much.

Generation Wealth really saddened me. It was a very thought-provoking piece.

Incredibles2 was a much cheerier piece, even though “fluffy.”

I saw 2 movies this weekend…

Becoming Astrid is the story of the young woman, Astrid Lindgren, who is best known for authoring Pippi Longstocking. It’s in Swedish with subtitles. What a fascinating, and heartbreaking story. I was clueless going in (I try to stay away from reviews and synopses before seeing films and theater productions), but went because Pippi Longstocking was a favorite character of mine growing up. I was not disappointed, and the young woman portraying Astrid, Alba August, a fine actor. I would say see it.

At Eternity’s Gate, Julian Schnabel’s turn at Vincent van Gogh’s story during the time he lived in Arles and Auvers-sur-Oise. I loved Schnabel’s The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, and parts of At Eternity’s Gate…but not all of it. I studied filmmaking (and am an award winning producer/co-director for a short film) and I wanted to scream at some of the antics that Schnabel made his cinematographer go through (the same guy who made The Theory of Everything) - so “first year film school”. Ok, that rant is over. Willem Dafoe WAS Vincent van Gogh, or at least who I imagine van Gogh to be, based on self portraits. The likeness is uncanny. By the end of the film, I gave it a 6 out of 10. I’d wait to see it on Netflix or some other free service.

Finally got to see Bohemian Rhapsody and I LOVED it. So wanted so sing along but figured audience menbers might not appreciate it ? The guy who played Brian May actually looked so much like him. Live Aid scenes gave me goosebumps. I was the family member in charge of taping Live Aid m. My sister says she still has the tapes. Can’t wait to see it again. I think they should have sing-a-long/air guitar screenings!

“Finally got to see Bohemian Rhapsody and I LOVED it. So wanted so sing along but figured audience menbers might not appreciate it ?”

The woman sitting next to me was singing out loud. (It figures, lol.) At first it really bothered me, but then I thought that Freddie Mercury would have loved that (that whole emphasis on having the audience participate) so I changed my perspective. I ended up going a second time just to enjoy the music.

Blindspotting was good, much better than I anticipated.

We saw Green Book a few days ago. Well worth seeing: the two leads in particular are excellent.

We also watched the new Coen brothers film, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. I hadn’t actually read anything about it, so was unprepared for the format. It is an unconventional movie that plays with conventions. It is pretty incredible. The final segment is brilliant. I recommend it highly.

Since Green Book wasn’t playing, H and I watched Instant Family last night. It was a fun watch, esp for a date night. It definitely makes you feel sorry for kids who draw bad birth lottery straws, but is also a fun comedy.

As we left I asked them when they’d be getting Green Book in. The shift manager couldn’t tell me, but said it’s not coming soon. We’ll go elsewhere to watch it with youngest son next week on his birthday. I think we’re going to have to drive 45 minutes to an hour though. At least by asking for it, hopefully word will get back to the Grand Pumba in charge of movies that some of us would like to see it locally.

I honestly have no idea why it isn’t here. I hope it’s not due to racism of some sort. It shouldn’t be. They showed BlacKKKlansman and Hidden Figures, etc. Perhaps it was some sort of oversight?