Setting up a parent account

<p>We’ve been trying to set up a Parent account to view bills, etc, and are having a hard time finding how to get it done. Does anyone have any guidance on this or is anyone able to tell us the steps? Thanks!</p>

<p>Very interested in this as well. We leave to bring D down to UA for Alabama Action one month from today, and I’m sure that she’ll be changing her myBama password as soon as she gets to school. So if there is an official way for parents to get some kind of access for info, administrative and financial “stuff” then that would be great. No more being the “nosey” dad on her actual account. :)</p>

<p>. </p>

<p>Can a parent make payments on my account and confirm my schedule?</p>

<p>Yes, if you grant access to the account (student financial account only) by establishing a Parent/Guest account. If you provide email address(es) in conjunction with the Parent/Guest Account, these email address will also receive notices and reminders of billing dates and deadlines. You will go to myBama, click on the Student tab, and under Banner Self-Services, Student Services, click on the Student Receivables channel. Choose Create/Change a Parent Guest Account and complete the information. You will have to provide the user name and password created for the Parent/Guest account to the individual(s) authorizing. Those with this information will be able to view your account summary, make payments, and confirm schedule. You will still want to check the account to make sure that any necessary payment has been made and that your schedule has been confirmed by the deadline.</p>

<p>So, the student goes into mybama and sets you up.</p>

<p>I am thinking I remember Mom posting that students would be better served leaving their parents on their account. That they could do whatever communicating they wanted through facebook or other mediums but that it was helpful for parents to have access to the school account. Was that for something else?</p>

<p>FWIW;
I told my DS if he wanted me to continue handling his financial aid paperwork,
I would need access to his MyBama, I got no argument.</p>

<p>I’m with gojack on this, but we wanted to create one anyway. thank you M2CK, it worked! that info sure was buried, though. Appreciate your help as always</p>

<p>Yes. I have access to sons’ aacts and older son just gave me access to his grad school info</p>

<p>Regardless of you the parent’s myBama or myBama guest account access, teach your students to be proactive and be willing to ask for help. I’ve answered many calls from parents distraught over their student’s difficulties in class, socially, and with other aspects of college life. Have your student go in and see the relevant employee in person, or at least call or e-mail them. It’s much easier for us to diagnose the issue and find a solution when we can interact directly with the student rather than dealing with a related 3rd party that may not know all (or care not to disclose*) all the details. I’m not saying that parents can’t or shouldn’t call, because they should, especially when the student won’t seek help themselves, but it’s a little too late when a parent calls the Wednesday before Thanksgiving asking how their student can find tutoring rather than when the student comes in during September explaining that they didn’t do so well on their first exam.</p>

<p>*There are some parents who disclose all the needed details and them some. That’s actually really helpful, but oftentimes it’s the student that needs to visit the appropriate office and get things done after the parent and whomever answers the phone figure out which office the student needs to visit.</p>

<p>I’ve never bothered to create a guest account or gave my parents my myBama login info as I usually tell my them every bit of relevant information anyways and I fill out 99.9% of the relevant forms myself.</p>