should black people be allowed to say the n word?

<p>this being an AA post i would like to ask a question.</p>

<p>i am french and frecnh black people say the n word all the time. however i do not like to call people the n word and i do not like when AA call me the n word.</p>

<p>should black people be allowed to say the n word?</p>

<p>I personally think everyone should be “allowed” to say the n-word; it just depends on how it’s used. I know there are lots of people who strongly disagree with me though… I rarely ever use it unless I’m quoting someone, but I really don’t have a problem with people talking about their “homies” and “n-gas.” I just don’t like it when people like the rednecks at my school go around calling people “ignorant n-gers” and whatnot.</p>

<p>If you say it, be ready to deal. Not in MY house.</p>

<p>I agree with Dnerd. I don’t mind hearing the N word as long as it’s not used in a derogatory manner. Nevertheless, it makes me itch a little when I hear a non-black person say the N word just to be cool.</p>

<p>Funny how some blacks find acceptance using such a derogatory word among themselves. I see that as an indication of low self-esteem. Anytime I hear the word in a movie or other situations, it just makes me cringe. We don’t use it at our house or outside the house.</p>

<p>I understand why blacks use the N word. It shows a sense of connection in a way because of the shared culture and guys feel a brotherhood. I don’t think however that it is appropriate, especially in public! I would never address someone like that and I would be upset if someone called me that. The use of the N word is a double standard issue though. Blacks don’t mind when blacks say it but when someone else does it’s so wrong. I guess I have double standards because when a non-black person says the N word I take offense.</p>

<p>This is a subject I could go on and on about…</p>

<p>Whether you are black or white I think there are so many positive words that we could call each other, so why use such a derogatory word like the N word. I do not understand why anyone would want to use a word that people risked their lives to have diminished.</p>

<p>Well I’m probably one of the few people who doesn’t mind it when anyone (regardless of their ethnicity) uses it in a ‘friendly’ manner. It’s pretty obvious to tell the difference between that and an insult.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>If anything, it’s just the opposite. Taking a word with such a negative denotation and giving it a positive connotation has nothing to do with having low self-esteem.</p>

<p>As Americans, we’re guaranteed the right to say what we please so long as it doesn’t affect something like national security. The way I was raised, the n word as a salutatory was considered vulgar, and the word as a derogatory was in the same category as actual cuss words and was grounds for getting a beating. While I won’t make a scene if someone of any race uses the term, I don’t feel comfortable n as a term of affection.</p>

<p>MirrorImage - You are exactly right. It does give us black men a sense of “brotherhood”. We can say it amongst each other because we have that shared culture and experience (talking about Black Americans). I do not think it’s appropriate for non-Blacks to say n—a. But that’s speaking from my upbringing and community. In some areas where many Blacks and Hispanics live sometimes the Hispanics may use the word. I can’t attest to that too much though. </p>

<p>Even with that, I still do not readily use it in public. Only when I’m amongst my black friends/peers. Because I know that some people may hear it and their ignorance will lead them to believe it’s cool for them to use it too.</p>

<p>Agreed with most of the above posts. Anyone should be allowed to say whatever they want because of our constitution but if you’re going to use a word like that in a hate filled way you’re a dbag. Black people who say the n word obviously don’t mean it in the same way their white overseers did back in the days of slavery; black folks using the n-word is about taking a hate filled word, making it their own and giving them power. It was a part of the black empowerment movement of the last century and most people who object to it are kinda ignorant.</p>

<p>I understand all the various nuances, but I’d prefer that everyone restrain from using it much in the same way I’d prefer people not use curse words - whether affectionately or otherwise. It just strikes me as a low level, uneducated form of speech, and I think it reflects negatively on those who use it. However, I do distinguish this from slang with which I don’t really have any issues when used in the appropriate context.</p>

<p>no. 10char</p>

<p>I never say it. Unless quoted in something but never on my own. Why would I do that? People have fought and died so that we do not have to just be ‘n-ggas’. MLK would be turnin in his grave. It’s a shame that we think taking such an obviously deragatory word and turning it ‘positive’ is something acceptable. It just makes you look ignorant, ESPECIALLY around non-AA’s. If you call your self a n-gga, you give other people the justification to call you one. It’s like when girls call themselves whores, gays call themselves ‘fags’, etc. etc.
I don’t react when an AA says it, but if a non-AA says it I will tell them not to, not around me, not ever. If it’s used negatively…don’t even get me started lol.</p>

<p>Only on Saturday nights!
Seriously NO.</p>

<p>Would anyone here say “N” in church?</p>